Isn't traffic bad enough

Original post made by Susan, Foxborough Estates, on Oct 21, 2010

I fully support the right of all persons getting their political message across, but did Kay, Karla and Cindy (and some supporters) really have to create such a traffic nuisance on Bernal at Kottinger during rush hour last night. When I passed by, Cindy and Kay were standing in the middle of Kottinger talking together, completely oblivious to the fact that several cars could not get around them. Karla stood in the median waving wildly at all the cars, not noticing that some of the drivers were giving her the three fingered salute. Supporters had signs on all corners, seriously impacting visibility.
Just another example of them only seeing what they want, not what is best for Pleasanton (and its drivers during commute hours). Please ladies, safety first.

Posted by anonymous resident
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

I find the sign waving on all four corners by this crowd unsafe as it creates a distraction to drivers. Especially for drivers making a left turn onto Valley where the turn lanes seem narrow. Why can't they just stand on one of the corners and wave signs? That would get their message out without creating such a distraction.

Posted by GX
a resident of Foothill High School
on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:31 am

Isn't this classic? If you don't like what the candidates represent, find a trait/etc. to tear them down. Classic dirty politics with no substance.

Good thing I've woken up to the fact of special interest influences in Pleasanton and will vote for candidates that will think in an independent manner on what is best for Pleasanton: McGovern, Brown, and Thorne.

Posted by Anne
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I agree that candidates waving signs on the street corners is very distracting to drivers. However, this waving of signs is nothing new, and my guess is that if these were "your candidates" waving their signs, you might not have been so annoyed. Every election brings out candidates to the street corners, so as residents of Pleasanton, we need to be extra careful and focus on the road.

Posted by annonymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Signs don't vote, especially when they are waved at drivers or indiscriminately placed in front of vacant homes or put on property owned by HOAs. McGovern and Brown keep talking about special interests and I hope this means people will look closely at the reports the candidates must file. Both McGovern and Brown report $1000 from Allen Roberts, who lives on the top in Gray Eagle and is the special interest who bank rolled Save Pleasanton Hills. He was cited by the Fair Political Practices Commission for not filing appropriate paperwork for his generous donations. The rest largely are the same group who abide by the mantra just say NO to everything.

I have faith that the voters of Pleasanton will vote based on what is good for Pleasanton. This is a well managed city that has listened to all the people of Pleasanton and made decisions that benefit all. It is the hard work of this council and previous councils that have made this city a place of pride. Even in this difficult economic times businesses have moved to Pleasanton. People want to live here.

Please do look at the reports. You can see that the people who have donated to Hosterman, Thorne and Cook-Kallio are individuals who don't necessarily agree with one another, they are from people from throughout the city with varied points of view. Cook-Kallio and Thorne don't have any donations from anyone over $500.

Do you like living here? Do you like the well maintained streets and parks? Do you like the responsible fiscal management of a city that has a 22 A city that has not laid off any workers and has still reduced the workforce? The current council has done a wonderful job in a very difficult time.

Vote Hosterman, Cook-Kallio and Thorne on November 2.

Posted by anonymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm

* a 22 million dollar reserve and a 75 million dollar non discretionary reserve* A city that has not laid off any workers and has stilled reduced the workforce? The current council has done a wonderful job in a very difficult time.

Vote Hosterman, Cook-Kallio, and Thorne on November 2

Posted by Angela
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I love seeing the candidates do sign waving in Pleasanton and Livermore.

But Hosterman, Pico, and Cook-Kallio standing on street corners waving signs of "DO NOT SIGN PETITION!!!!????" Ugh!

Posted by Mary
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Funny about the first amendment! It works both ways~

Posted by hiding donations
a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I got a color post card today in the mail from the Chamber of commerce. No surprise they continue to support the yes men. A couple of weeks ago I got a card from the Fire Dept. Hmmm. Was either card marketing the candidates reported on their 460 docs at the City? NO not a one! A mass mailer like that costs about $10,000 EACH or more. Hidden donations! Sounds like the 460 forms are not doing their job, or Hosterman, Cook-Callio and Thorn are not reporting these generous donations. Which is true?

Posted by Watchful
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:20 am

I think it is great the candidates get out there and wave their signs around. I like the spirit of it. I would rather have that then the endless flyers and total waste of paper that have been appearing in my mail box and on my porch for weeks now.

Slow down and drive around them.

Posted by Save Paper HONK
a resident of Country Fair
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:33 am

We commonly have sign wavers in our area at Hopyard and Valley. I like it. It shows they want to be with the people- not the paid lobbists and attorney for the Lin's land in the hills. I vote for the sign wavers most of the time - and they normally win.

Posted by Scott Walsh
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:44 am

Hiding Donations does not understand IE's---Independent Expenditures, another form of political campaigning for a candidate. IE's are done by individuals or organizations and the candidate does not have any control or knowledge about them. Read the fine print Hiding Donations.

Posted by Nosy Neighbors
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:12 am

Some residents were giving the "THREE fingered salute?" Were there Boy Scouts involved in this? Or was that more or less net speak for Control-Alt-Delete aimed at the candidates?

Pleasanton you never cease to amaze me.

Posted by Nicole
on Oct 22, 2010 at 10:28 am

Actually it isn't the signs for me that were such a problem yesterday taking a right onto valley from Hopyard, it was the ENORMOUS American Flags- I couldn't see anything for oncoming traffic and found it very dangerous. I called the police department to complain. I am all for free speech and promoting your candidates and waving the flag but these flags were so huge! They said they would drive by and check it out. The flag wavers and sign holders were on all 4 corners and the area where you stand to wait to cross the street (the median?). I found it too overwhelming to even pay attention to who they were promoting and many were just standing around talking while holding the flags and signs not really paying attention to who was driving by. I just think, stay on the sidewalks, that would be great and not obstruct the view of drivers.

Posted by just me
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

It's just small town politics. It's only for a couple of weeks every couple of years. Besides, how many people in this country actually get to see the people they are voting for? or against?

Posted by Jay
a resident of Dublin
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm

What's funny to me is Pleasanton candidates for some reason think standing on the side of the road and waving at people actually works. Their time would be better spent knocking on doors and talking to the voters.

Posted by jacob
a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Oct 26, 2010 at 7:10 am

Yeah, I drove by the corner of Tea (valley) and Party (Hopyard) yesterday. It is the same group out there that was rallyin for Prop. 8. (Comments partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as innuendo, hearsay or specific accusatory information unsupported by facts.) Harmer and Fred Watson supporters are the main contributers to this traffic blight. I cant wait until next Tuesday?

Posted by Susan
a resident of Foxborough Estates
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:46 am

To address GX-I am not sure how you come your conclusion about my political leanings. I have known Cindy and Kay since our children were all at Walnut Grove many moons ago (many, many moons ago!) and I am not sure why it would matter who I am voting for if one of them got hurt or created such a distraction that an accident occurs. This was not meant as an endorsement of anything other than safety. If you want to know how I am voting, you can hike up to my neighborhood and check out the signs in my front yard. There are not many Susans up here.

Posted by Member
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:33 am

The only fair criticism here is about traffic safety. Personal attacks on people for their views or for expressing their views is immature and inappropriate. As adults, we all know about the First Amendment and freedom of expression, which is especially protected in the context of political elections. Even grade school kids know that peoples' freedom of speech and expression are protected, and that you shouldn't attack someone personally for having a viewpoint that differs from your own.
I have read that the honking of car horns at these locations is a violation of the Vehicle Code because there is no traffic situation that justifies use of a horn. I don't think the Pleasanton PD is citing anyone, but just asking people to not honk.
The signs and waving from the sidewalk is not a violation of any traffic laws as far as I know. But it does seem to slow down traffic movement at busy intersections during rush hour. I don't think there have been any collisions yet.
For personal safety, I think the sign-wavers should stand a yard or two away from the curb.

Posted by Cassie
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:31 am

I have never run for office or helped anyone campaign, but the math is easy, the sign wavers are getting more exposure by waving signs than they could ever get by knocking on doors. Besides, most people don't want someone knocking on their doors, me included. I keep getting this annoying realtor knocking on my door and I hate it.

Posted by Resident
a resident of Lydiksen Elementary School
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Even Mr. Pickle or the guy waving the Little Ceaser's Pizza ad can be a distraction. Either you must pay attention to your driving (maybe just ignore them, or allow them to continue their right to express themselves and risk that someone else near you won't be paying attention to what they should be paying attention to (their driving/the road, etc) and there will be an accident). I'm sure the police could tell you if the incidence of accidents is higher at these places when these distractions are present. It might make a difference, it might not. Just a thought.