Traffic Meter in Sunol Blvd.

Original post made by Maria on Oct 12, 2010

I commute to Fremont everyday, driving 680 Southbound. During my drive to work this morning, I noticed a traffic light and a meter entering 680S. Is this for real? Does anybody when this will be operational? This meter will create so much congestion in Sunol blvd.

Posted by Bill, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I want to know why traffic metering lights were installed on Andrade Rd, Sheridan Rd, and Vargas Rd. There is almost no vehicle traffic on these roads so maybe the resident cows need a green light to hike down the freeway to feed on the grass clumps planted by Caltrans on the Washington Blvd curve?

Talk about a waste of taxpayer money!

The metering lights will not be needed until Caltrans fixes the 84 merge problem. No reason to use metering lights if the freeway traffic is already at a standstill.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 12, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Bill,

My guess is that it is to discourage commuters to take the side roads during heavy traffic. But then I don't think all those 3 exits would be used for that purpose...

Beats me

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Bill-

I think Caltrans gets paid by the meter.

I was a bit shocked when I found a metering light installed at the end of my driveway. Some mornings I have to wait 10 minutes before I get a green light to leave my driveway.

As "Hmmm" stated, it beats me. There are many aspects of the toll lane fiasco that I do not understand. Metering lights on the aforementioned roads, the grass clumps on the Washington curve, no toll lane exits at Durham and Scott Creek, and striping the toll lane all the way to 237 are just a few things that puzzle me.

Posted by Devon, a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Perhaps they have extra $ in their budget that will be lost if not wasted. That way they can justify a similar budget for next year?!

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Shovel ready jobs??

unclehomerr..

Posted by I H8 680, a resident of San Ramon
on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Follow the money trail to see if there were any kickback schemes and which officials got greased. Clearly, this project wasn't intended to actually alleviate traffic, but to cause more problems to fix which means more money is going to get spent to fix it. The panel that came up with this toll lane scheme is not looking out for the taxpayers or the commuters.

There seems to be a lot of extra unnecessary/illogical work done on the 680, in addition to those pointed out by Curious. I can name hand engraving of a pattern in the concrete walls near Washington, removal and replacement of the center dividers in seemingly the same place around Sunol, and the huge amount of lane space unused near that huge retaining wall which could have been used as a special exit-only lane for the North Mission offramp.

How much money are these toll lanes actually collecting, and how accurate will that accounting be? So far, it seems to be a wash to be in the toll lane from Sunol to Mission as cars get stuck in the South Mission ramp anyways, and it completely frees up from South Mission to Calaveras, where I routinely outpace those in the toll lane there.

The major pain for us on this side of Sunol is the backup starting at the 580/680 until 84. If any place could use an extra lane, it's from Stoneridge to 84. The traffic here on this side is acting like the year 2000 during the dotcom boom.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.