Do local sports organizations screen their volunteers and prohibit sex offenders from acting as volunteers?

Original post made by Parent, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Sep 18, 2010

Does anybody know if local sports organizations have policies and/or are required to screen volunteers? Do they look at Megan's law database? Do they make sure that a registered sex offender CANNOT be a volunteer since their organizations are for minors? What happens if a sports organization is willingly allowing a sex offender to be an active volunteer?

Posted by jimf01
a resident of another community
on Sep 18, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Parent. Just keep your head down for the first year or so and you'll probably win their trust.

Posted by Bonnie
on Sep 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm

What if we had registered murderers? Sound ridiculous, absurd? Child rapists deserve life sentences, no parole. They molest until they drop dead.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 19, 2010 at 8:36 pm

To jimf01: That is what I was afraid of: for sex offenders to quietly earn the trust of people. I have been screened by the schools I volunteer in and have nothing to hide. I only wish that everyone who works with minors were screened/checked and cleared before being allowed anywhere near minors. I was wondering what the laws are and what can/should be done about organizations such as sports that allow registered sex offenders to be active volunteers. Does anyone in Pleasanton care? Do people in Pleasanton tolerate sex offenders? We already have the priest Greene which everyone seems to put up with, and many in fact, support him. Are we now going to allow sex offenders to be active volunteers in organizations that serve minors?

To Bonnie: I agree, sex offenders especially the ones convicted for crimes against minors, should either get the death penalty, life in prison, or if released, should not be allowed to be anywhere near minors.

Posted by Tin Man
on Sep 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

Parent- "if released, should not be allowed to be anywhere near minors" How is that to be done? It is totally the opposite position of Bonnie. I agree with her and, think they can't be returned to the street unless in a hearse.
My question is about crossing guards. They get paid almost nothing and have to deal with drivers (sometimes being jerks or idiots), kids (sometimes being jerks or idiots), and parents (sometime being jerks or idiots). They should be triple screened or something. I'm not accusing all of them but tell me you'd be shocked if something happened with one.

Posted by Parent
on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:50 am

Tin Man: I am not concerned about crossing guards.

I am concerned about sports organizations; allowing a registered sex offender to be an active volunteer compromises the safety of minors.

You are right that Bonnie's position is to not allow these sex offenders to be released, and I support that position. However, since our law allows sex offenders to be released, the least the Police can do is to make sure these guys are not allowed to be near minors, certainly not as volunteers in organizations that serve minors.

Posted by curly
a resident of Charter Oaks
on Sep 22, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I coached in a couple of different local sports organizations over the years and had to be finger printed and have a police background check in both cases.