Sandy Piderit's campaign kickoff Friday August 27

Original post made by Sandy, Mohr Park, on Aug 22, 2010

Pleasanton residents --

please join me at the Amador Valley Community Park this Friday between 6:30 and 8 pm to kick off my campaign for school board!

The park is at 4301 Black Avenue, behind the Aquatic Center.

I look forward to meeting you!

Web Link

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

- Do you support a parcel tax? What conditions must exist, or be met, before you would propose/support a parcel tax?

Posted by Spike0
a resident of another community
on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:14 am

Go Blue!!!

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:24 am

Stacey is a registered user.

Sandy supported the Measure G parcel tax, but I still support her for the school board over the other two. She would not rubber-stamp anything. She takes the time to read up on the issues, reaches out to others of differing opinion in order to understand their stance, and places an emphasis on her decision making methodology over ideology. She would be a good addition to the board. I think she understands better than the others the role of a board member.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

That only answered half the question....I'm more interested in the second half.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:38 am

Sandy is a registered user.

I support the board's actions last night to begin gathering systematic data about the feasibility of passing a parcel tax in 2011. I support this action because of the continued uncertainty of the economy and the state budget, especially since members of the state legislature are discussing the possibility of suspending the minimum funding for education required by proposition 98. Since it is likely that the district will face cuts in state revenue for the next several years, exploring several alternatives for revenue like a parcel tax, fundraising, and grantwriting, seems the responsible course of action.

Last night, the board voted in favor of item 13.1 on its agenda, approving the staff recommendation to hire TBWB Strategies and Godbe Research to conduct a parcel tax survey of likely Pleasanton voters by the end of September and provide consulting services to assist in analyzing and interpreting the results. The quote included 7 months of consulting services, so the total cost of the bid to the district if all 7 months are used is $66,770. The survey will explore the purposes for which voters might be most inclined to support a tax, and the amount of tax they would consider reasonable.

Trustees Arkin and Hintzke clarified that only two months of consulting services would be used if data analyses indicate that support for a parcel tax is unlikely. Given that caveat, I consider taking action to gather systematic community input essential.

I would have preferred, in the interest of transparency, that all four bid documents received for this work have been made a part of the public record, although I understand that this is not common practice.

If the board is eventually to move forward on another parcel tax initiative, I consider it essential that an independent "watchdog" commission be set up to audit the expenditures of the parcel tax revenues.

I'd welcome the opportunity to hear other community suggestions on this or other school issues -- I hope that interested residents will attend the ice cream social at the Amador Valley Community Park this Friday between 6:30 and 8 pm to kick off my campaign for school board.

The park is at 4301 Black Avenue, behind the Aquatic Center.

Please come, and invite your neighbors. I look forward to meeting you!

Posted by Elizabeth
a resident of Mohr Park
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:24 am

Sandy,

Thank you for clarifying your stance on what must happen prior to a parcel tax initiative. I look forward to meeting you on Friday. I to believe an independent community "watchdog" commission needs to be set up. While the expendetures for consulting is justified, I am concerned that those monies would be taken from the general fund, and could have covered other district costs. Those things need to be weighed against each other.

Elizabeth

Posted by Dominic
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

I am not for raising taxes at all...We pay enough taxes...We need leaders that are leaders and look for innovative and sound ways to solve these complex problems rather than always falling back on the raising of taxes which is always a temporary fix...Pleasanton is wasting a lot of money of this issue rather than exploring other alternatives...

Posted by Resident
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:46 am

I have read Sandy's comments on the PW forums, and although I do not agree with everything she says, she seems to be a well informed, objective type of person. She is a much better choice than the other two.

I cannot make it this friday, but you have my vote, Sandy - as well as that of my spouse.

Good luck!

Posted by no more teacher raises
on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Sandy, thanks for clarifying your position on a parcel tax. You will get NO VOTES from this household.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

So I guess you won't be voting for any of the school board candidates? Maybe you can write in Fred Watson?

Posted by no more pencils no more books
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Stop it Stacey, I almost spilled my drink when I read that. Too funny.

Posted by Patriot
on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

Sandy if you are going to engage in using this forum for dissemination of your positions, you will be saddened by the results. Social media would be a more fruitful method of disseminating your positions. Many "regular" folks stay away from these forums due to the repugnant nature of some of the discourse. You usually see the same names and pseudonyms across multiple threads of these forums. Your time may be better spent on other more fruitful messaging technologies. One reporters opinion...