Basketball: Amador vs Foothill - who will come out on top this year?

Original post made by Just Curious on Aug 2, 2010

Just curious to know what are people's thoughts on the upcoming basketball season. I have small bet with my neighbor on which teams will have the better records in JV and Varsity. I'm voting for Amador JV and Varsity this year. Looks like the varsity coach knows what he's doing. My neighbor likes Foothill (not sure why - heh heh). Anyone want to throw out their comments? Would love to hear some good discussions i.e. who are the player standouts and why. I don't know many of the upcoming players right now but thought it would be a great to hear about them - I mean this is what this blog is for, right?

Posted by Amador!!, a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Aug 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I know a lot of people are hoping that with Coupe gone, he single-handedly destroyed a great sports program, we will see some greatness from Amador Valley once again!

Posted by Parent, a resident of Amador Estates
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:09 am

I'm curious, how did Coupe single-handedly destroy a sports program?

Posted by Sports, a resident of Amador Estates
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:25 am

Not sure where you got Amador's Coach is good from. They should have hired Costello who is at Dublin now a few years ago. He came on as an assistant after coaching Tennyson to success and was promised job after Underwood left but then Underwood stayed longer. He went to Dublin and has been great there.

Posted by Amador Parent, a resident of Birdland
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:56 am

I don't have boys that play basketball but I have kids at Amador that do other sports activities, We came to watch to Amador vs FH basketball games and was shocked to find that the place was not packed like you used to be a few years back... then when I saw the kids play.. I kind of see why...I know some kids from CYO BB that were not on the teams, then I find out a few of those kids didn't even make the teams.. which was really funny because they were far better than some that did, especially on the FH side. I ask around after that and found out a few of the freshman decided not to even come out which is really sad...you would think that these programs want to attract the best athletes. Oh well best of luck to both schools this year!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Falcons Parent, a resident of Foothill High School
on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Well, I know that when Lloyd first came to FHS, his record was dismal. Looks like it improved last year and with Randy Isaacs coming back as AD, things are looking up! Isaacs brought Foothill to NorCal championship if I recall correctly. The JV team is also looking good from last year - not sure of the freshmen going to JV is going to help them much. They need better point guards. Sure they have O'neill in varsity, but it's always good to have 2 good ball-handlers. O'neill is a great scorer so my vote is Foothill!

Posted by Debbie Downer, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 3, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Maybe the district will find another way to cut the budget and eliminate yet another activity the benefits the kids. We can only hope.

Posted by bob123, a resident of another community
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

Lloyd is going to tranform FH-- Amador we will have to wait and see but the real question comes twice a year for them! --they still have to play SRVHS!! GO WOLVES!!!

Posted by BB Fan, a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

Before Lloyde can transform the team I believe he needs to go through a transformation of his own...seriously he looks like he is being bit by a bunch of red ants jumping up and down and running on the sidelines like a maniac.

I heard he played for SRV, i'm sure he know that game but come on acting like that in front of young impressionable youngsters is something you think the school AD and principals would put an end too.

Posted by BBall, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I agree with BB Fan. Maybe that is the reason why the Foothill program is not attracting the better athletes/players? Hopefully with Isaacs coming back as AD, he can find a better coach.

Posted by Falcon dad, a resident of West of Foothill
on Aug 5, 2010 at 7:47 am

I also agree with BB Fan. Foothill's varsity WL record seems to be improving but I have heard that Lloyd is out of control sometimes and that some of his players had a hard time dealing with how he coaches. One would think that these players are varsity players and have "seen it all", but who knows. From what I can see, Lloyd does not take the time to develop his players and his program. He looks like he's just there for the glory. Amador's Coach Fields though maybe less talented as a coach is doing things that shows he wants to stay and develop his teams. I know AVHS got into a bit of trouble with the "aau" team (an old post on this forum), but at least Fields is doing something to improve players from frosh on. The real truth will come out with the WL record will in a few years when the frosh from last year become jv and varsity players. This summer, Lloyd didn't even have his jv team participate in a summer league, just varsity. This makes no sense. Maybe Isaacs doesn't have to look for another coach, maybe he needs to step in and show them how it's done! I'm still a Falcons fan, but something has to change.

Posted by New to Pleasanton, a resident of Las Positas
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I just found this little forum and love it! I was actually going to pose a similar question. We just moved to Pleasanton and my son will go to Hart Middle School, but next year we are not sure which high school to go to. My son loves to play basketball and he's pretty good too so not sure where is the best place to go. It's along the lines of Just Curious' initial posting but maybe folks can give me their experiences with both basketball teams, coaches, etc. Thank you in advance for your wonderful advice ... pros and cons of course.

Posted by Just Curious, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Ok so I'm a bit one-sided for AVHS, to be fair I did look at how things are run in both camps. First off, the boosters at Amador are extremely organized. The raise tons of money for their teams and are really active in getting parents involved. Of course there are some politics but theirs politics everywhere you look. Second, varsity coaches: Lloyd for Foothill and Fields for Amador. It's their program so you should find out what their philosophy is. Most varsity coaches say they play the best players and thats fine at varsity but what's in the pipeline, or your next season will not go well. As Falcon dad mentioned above, Lloyd seems a bit short sighted. Anyway, I think that Amador will have a great season in the next few years. They have some really good players coming up. For varsity head to head positions: Amador has better ball handling with [names deleted]. Whereas Foothill only has [name deleted], his back up is not that strong. For centers: Amador has [name deleted] who can definitely outrebound [name deleted]. Both teams will have trouble getting it together as many of their seniors have graduated.I think it's really going to come down to the guard position. [name deleted]can definitely score but can he carry the whole team? I wonder who Lloyd will bring up from JV? Fields seems to stick with classes and doesn't really bring up younger players - frosh usually stay with frosh. I don't know if it's just the talent pool or if its his philosophy. Well looking forward to seeing both teams play!

Posted by What the?, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm

No way is right. Oneil is a bad a**. Amador has no one who can guard him. Just curious seems to be forgetting the seniors this year and the fact that foothill killed Amador last year both varsity and jv. Amador won the frosh battle but the best foothill frosh players were on jv last year. Patrick may be better than any of the Amador sophs or juniors.

Posted by Youre Kidding!, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:07 pm

So are you saying that [names deleted] are the best players. [name deleted]?? Are you serious? He may be built like a varsity player, but he cannot move like one. [Portion removed]

Posted by Costello is a loss, a resident of Beratlis Place
on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I agree that losing Costello is a huge blow to Amador. Many parents I speak with say that was one of the decisions made by the former principal that really hurt the program. He was known for hiring people he liked rather than the most qualified or who would be best for the team.

Posted by What the?, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 6, 2010 at 12:17 am

Youre kidding! You are kidding right? I don't get it. Do you not understand English or basketball. I said the best two freshman at foothill played jv last year, which affected the quality of the freshman team and may have influenced their loss to Amador. [name deleted] clearly is not one of the best overall players but I don't remember saying he was. I did say [name deleted]may be better than any Amador junior or soph, meaning incoming. Your answer was to put [name deleted] or[name deleted]on him? Did you watch the games last year? I remember [name deleted]starting and scoring on who ever guarded him. Oh and if I remember correctly neither seals or David did much as they mostly watched. What were they the 9th and 12th players last year? I'd be willing to bet Patrick had more points than they had minutes, points and rebounds between them.

As far as foothill only having [name deleted], I think the point is they have [name deleted] and he is by far better than anyone Amador has. Beyond him foothill has 6 returning mediocre seniors and Amador has 5 returning mediocre seniors. Foothill's jv outplayed amador's jv twice last year, so it looks better for foothill than Amador.

Posted by Youre Kidding!, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Aug 6, 2010 at 11:59 am

Okay I have to admit I haven't watched that many of the games. I thought they did better especially Seals earlier in the season. I do have to agree that the returning seniors for both FHS and AV are mediocre at best and [name deleted] is far better than any standout (if any at AV) but how's his drive? I have seen most of his points from outside. Also if he's the only ball-handler at Foothill (is [name deleted] a guard?), they may be in trouble. What about big men? Yes Hudson is not ready for varsity but Foothill has [name deleted] and ?? who does need help under the basket.

Is [name deleted]really that good? Maybe the games I've seen him he can score and when there isn't much pressure on him. When it comes to the tougher teams like DLS, MV or SRV, I noticed he doesn't perform well. There are defenitely some really good incoming Sophs like [names deleted], and together I think they will make it tough for FHS unless the coaches break up the teams.

And yes I completely agree that in bringing up [names deleted], the FHS frosh team last year struggled. Especially with that ridiculous frosh coach. The last frosh FHS v AV game was pitiful. He didn't balance the players, he put his bench in for the majority of the game and FHS got slaughtered.

I felt really bad for the frosh boys but Dons won! But there is one kid oh frosh that was good [name deleted], heard he scored 20 aganst DLS, they lost though. Wonder why he didn't get moved to jv, maybe they kept him there to leave frosh some talent. Lee is good too. Incoming sophs for both schools show potential. Don't know too many incoming juniors, but [name deleted] seem to be doing well. What's the low down on other incoming juniors?

Posted by Bball23, a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Bball23 is a registered user.

Don't go to amador. Fields' program is ridiculous and a joke

Posted by Bball23, a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Bball23 is a registered user.

And they should have hired either coach Costello from Dublin or mike wood from Granada!!

Posted by P-town Mom, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 13, 2010 at 12:32 am

P-town Mom is a registered user.

I was sad that the Pleasanton Weekly Staff shut down comments to only registered users. The exchange of comments were just getting interesting. I really like to hear about the upcoming athletes here in our town. I do understand that names of the kids were removed for their privacy and that they are minors, but some names were still left on the comments - all names should be removed.

I would like to get more information on why Amador's (Fields) program is ridiculous. Can Bball23 add more details? I don't want people to bad-mouth necessarily but just like to hear why.

As for Foothill, I have heard from parents that Lloyd does not know how to develop players and lacks vision. He only went for the taller players last year when clearly there were sophs who could have been varsity level. I think there were even some freshmen (3) who could've moved up. But understandably, it may have been a bit overwhelming for a 9th grader to play against 12th graders.

I do agree with previous posts in regards to mediocre seniors this year but hopefully these boys got serious this summer and worked on their skills and conditioning.

I do have to agree that Foothill's ball handler is very good at shooting and can score at will. Amador will have to develop a good defensive player to guard him. Out of both schools, who is the quickest? I don't think I've seen anyone really quick. Lots of good shooting.

Who's the tallest player this year? Does anyone dunk here in Pleasanton? We need someone who can dunk, now that would be exciting!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Tough new rules on water are necessary

Circumstances without Pomp