Cops go undercover to nab bike thief

Original post made on Jul 18, 2010

A Pleasanton man has been charged with possession of stolen property after the victim of a bicycle theft went online and was able to find his bike for sale on Craigslist, a police report said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, July 16, 2010, 3:19 PM

Posted by Jason
on Jul 18, 2010 at 1:56 am

How is this news? Police officers go undercover every day. Because this is Pleasanton this is news? I know for a fact more stuff happens everyday in Pleasanton than this!

Posted by bike lover
on Jul 18, 2010 at 8:35 am

Good job ... get them crooks.

Posted by maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

How is this not News? Okay, so it's not the most 'glamourous' of stories...the most daring....and yet, it is a story because a CRIME was committed. However, insignificant you may think it was, stealing is a crime. I am thankful for the Pleasanton PD everyday. They keep our 'small' town safe.

Crime is crime.

Posted by Judge Roy Bean
a resident of California Somerset
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:24 am

Back where I come from, we hang bicycle thieves.

But I imagine if this guy is found guilty, he'll get a fine and a suspended sentence.

Take my advice: paint your bicycle Day-Glo pink and put a bright yellow "banana" style seat on it. NOBODY will ever steal it.

Posted by Judge Roy Bean
a resident of California Somerset
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:25 am

Is anybody else as shocked as I am that Pleasanton cops actually caught a criminal?

Posted by More than you know
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:16 am

There are groups of kids and adults in Pleasanton that steal anything that has value and sell it on craigslist. Maybe a story like this will make some of them realize that they can get caught.

Lock everything up, even at school. There are people out there looking to make an easy buck.

Posted by A Mom
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:32 am

Personally, I'm glad the Weekly reported on this. I've been trying to drill it into my teenager to not leave his bike unlocked or on the front porch. Now I can show him a story, and maybe he'll believe mom on this point. We know our town is no longer a "hometown" when catching a bike thief is NO longer news.

Posted by Kafka-esque
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hey Judge Roy, just what the hell do mean by dissing my pink bike?

Posted by John
a resident of another community
on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

Bike theft is so common, so easy, and so ignored by police that this is news. The only thing easier than stealing a bike seems to be catching a bike thief in a sting. Good for Pleasanton Police, and let's do this more often!

Posted by Bruce
a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hey Roy Bean, what are you talking about? Your surprised PPD caught a criminal? They have 90 cops there! It is hardly possible to roll through the city without getting stopped! I got stopped for having a license plate light out! I didnt even know there was such a thing. These cops stop everything and investigate anyone. Maybe they havent caught any criminals because the criminals know to not come to Pleasanton!

Posted by just me
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

From the aricle, it seems to me that the victim caught the guy..

The best way to stop bicycle theft is to leave bicycles around town that have laoded rifle barrels installed in the frames set to fire up through the seat when someone sits on it.

Posted by David R
a resident of another community
on Jul 20, 2010 at 5:03 am

Pleasanton is lucky to be relatively crime free, to the extent that bicycle theft is deemed worthy of an undercover operation. That doesn't happen here (London UK).

Posted by Risa
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

David R., there must be some towns/cities in England that are relatively crime free as well.

Posted by Joney_one
a resident of Ridgeview Commons
on Jul 29, 2010 at 8:02 am

it was very interesting to read www.pleasantonweekly.com
I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Posted by dchenk
a resident of Ridgeview Commons
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

I would like to exchange links with your site www.pleasantonweekly.com
Is this possible?