Running stop signs, U Turns on Main Street

Original post made by JR on Jul 16, 2010

As my husband and I sat inside Strizzi's this evening we noticed how many cars run the three way stop signs on St. Mary and Main. Even a Pleasanton Police car (Community Service) with a young pony tailed girl. Out of the numerous cars approximately two out of ten would actually come to a stop but most not a complete stop. It did not matter if there were people in the crosswalk or not. Two weeks ago a woman in a wheel chair and man with a cane had to dodge two vehicles that did not have the decency to let them go even though they were in the crosswalk. It would be great to see this intersection monitored.

Posted by JR, a resident of Danbury Park
on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Forgot to add there were three u-turns made right in the middle of the street with no regards for traffic.

Posted by tango, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 17, 2010 at 4:56 am

It is a bad intercetion. I have seen cars make U-turns in the strangest places on Main. I really don't understand why. One place is Tulllys intercetion. What is with these people? I think Main needs to be monitored more also. I realize it is hard to pull someone over on Main St., but it needs to be done.

Posted by travesty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Once I saw a jaywalker on Main that didn't even look both ways. My wife and I were devastated. We couldn't finish our lunch. Then, right before our eyes, we saw a bunch of young folks riding and laughing and enjoying themselves and it was way after 6:00 pm. I don't even want to talk about those darn people that walk their dogs in the park. Ugh!

Posted by Scott, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 17, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Wow...quick work by the PD. There was an officer parked in the gas station parking lot tonight during peak hours, monitoring that intersection. Nice work!

Posted by maja7, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Go get 'em. Driving around town lately is definitely a challenge. Between folks talking or texting on their cell phones, teenagers blaring loud music.....you seriously need to drive defensively around town. Be careful out there!

Posted by JR, a resident of Danbury Park
on Jul 18, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I am so happy to hear the area is being monitored. It is with great concern for safety I started this post. It is good to see possitive come out of it and hope it continues. Thank you to the wonderful Pleasanton Police.

Posted by Judge Roy Bean, a resident of California Somerset
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:28 am

Forget about the U-turns, what about the Q-turns? Those things are just confusing as hell.

California drivers in general and Pleasanton drivers in particular are some of the country's worst. No idea how to signal a lane change, either drive way too fast or way too slow, and they have their damned cell phones sewn to the side of their faces.

But really, I think above a certain income level--say $500,000 a year--people should be allowed to drive any way they want. Why else bother getting rich if you can't flout traffic laws?

Posted by One way, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:19 am

Main street should be a one way street with diagonal parking. It would help the flow of traffic and the ease in parking.

I would prefer Ptown put up a nice parking structure right off main and make the entire street pedestrian.

How? I don't know. But driving downtown and walking downtown are hazardous duty.

Posted by Agrees with One Way, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:39 am

I agree with One Way. Have Main Street one way and First the other (maybe it would cut cut through traffic). I always have a tailgater when I'm going 25 on 1st Street, and it is always someone who takes off down Stanley to Livermore and beyond. Cars in front are always going 35 by the parks. It would also open up more street parking. I'm not in favor of a multilevel parking structure....it would ruin downtown.

Posted by mom2boys, a resident of Mission Park
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:53 am

Agrees with One Way---

I was pulled over on First Street a couple of years ago for going 34. The officer was kind enough to give me a warning since I had never before had a traffic ticket. But, it was my little wakeup call. I am now very careful to go 25 on First Street and let me tell you, in a V8, SUV that is not always easy. And, yes, like you posted, I am constantly tailgated by very angry drivers. So for all of you First Street tailgaters out there...if you seen a big, white Lexus SUV going 25 on First Street, go ahead and get angry with me, but please don't tailgate me. Thank you.

Posted by Cyclist, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

Try being on a bike and having to dodge these cars-- Pleasanton does have some bike lanes, but riding in them would be asking to get hit. And half the drivers don't even look. Just last week I was stopped (on my bike) at the corner of Peters and St. Marys-- it was my turn to go thru the intersection, and the car on the cross street started proceeding through the intersection at the same time I did. He came within a foot of hitting me before he actually saw me.

Come on drivers, please look out for us cyclists who bike to work to help the environment!!

Posted by Roy, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

Concerns about the traffic on Main St. are all valid, I too have seen U turns made where they are not suppose to be made. To add to that are those obnoxious motorcycles at the south end of town, do they all have to start their engines at the same time and do they have to rev them up before they leave, how can anybody enjoy a outdoor Burrito or Gelato with that racket. I just don't go there anymore.

Posted by maja7, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I don't agree with the idea of one-way streets at all. As far as making U-turns....unless there's a sign posted saying "No U-turns" it may be legal to make one? Have to ask P-town PD about that one. Downtown traffic during the summer is a dream. What about during the school year!! Try dropping off at 3 different school locations(elementary, middle & high school). Don't talk to me about carpooling or using the Wheels bus; we've tried all that and it creates more chaos.

For me, I'm enjoying the summer while I can. Before too much longer, all the time-crazed/overscheduled Moms in SUVs, Lexus and minivans (I have one of these) will be transporting their kids to school:) Let's enjoy summertime traffic while we can. Just go the posted speed and let the tailgaters fume behind you. Remember, you're in front of them!

Posted by Please Stop, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:01 pm

My husband and I have seen a rash of 20-something aged drivers not stopping at stop signs in shopping centers. Not that they slowly roll through the stop, their foot doesn't leave the gas pedal. No slowing, no braking, no looking both ways, just, what seems, arrogance right through the sign. Be careful out there; many think driving is a privilege that won't/can't be revoked. And they're probably right. Who get's a ticket in a shopping center?

Posted by kim, a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I challenge the authenticity of cyclist's comment. I have NEVER seen a bike stop at a stop sign in Ptown. The MO is slow down a bit, checking for traffic, (I presume) and cycling right on through.

Posted by Arroyo, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 19, 2010 at 9:11 pm

If seeing people running the stop sign and making illegal U-Turns bothered me that much, I think I would stop going to Strizzi's to eat. Any restaurants on a nice cul-de-sac anywhere in town?

And, "One Way", good luck with that parking structure idea. This town, with the current group of nimby's residing within, couldn't agree on anything. Like I've said before, the Alameda County Fairgrounds and Racetrack, our jewel, could not be built today with the misguided attitude that permeates this "Top 100 City".

Posted by Resident, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 20, 2010 at 9:59 am

I have lived in town for over 20 years and I see big changes and not all positive. The traffic and disregard for each other is prevalent. Those of you watching the corner that Strizzi's is on.....go down to the intersection where Tully's is. There's so much to watch on that corner that drivers just drive right through the stop signs...if I wasn't going very slow and watching like an eagle - I would have been hit several times by "stop sign runners". However, bicyclists and pedestrians are just as bad now. Bicyclists want to get there fast and disregard all the traffic rules and pedestrians are texting or talking on their cell phones and completely walk in traffic without regard to the pedestrian walk signs on the traffic lights. This causes a problem for all. Let's all use some common sense and good manners and pay attention to each other and what our personal responsibility is within the structure of smart traffic etiquette. STOP talking on the cell phone and STOP texting. That's just exacerbating a problem that is already rampant. Remember a good law suit if you get hit negates a death certificate or a life of disability!

Posted by JR, a resident of Danbury Park
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:22 pm

One way on Main Street was brought up in the late 70's or early 80's. That would be great. It would leave move room for bicycles and much less dangerous. What is the next step...??? I would love to hear opinions, pros and cons.
You are right about Tully's corner. It is Strizzi's corner multiplied by 10. Perhaps there are no wrecks just near wrecks that happen so there is no record.
I would love to be envolved in making this happen....:)

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.