Speeding Down Rose Ave

Original post made by Jenny, Downtown, on Jul 15, 2010

I am so sick of everyone who speeds down Rose Ave. This morning I came out of my house and this once beautiful young kitten with Sapphire eyes was just hit and killed by someone speeding this morning. Twice I have almost been hit by some idiot driving to fast and to close to cars parked on the street. Those of you who speed down residential streets because you are late for work or for whatever are stupid and pathetic! I am going to put in a complaint to the city to do something about it. And for those of you who could care less because it was a cat or any kind of animal, what if it was a child or anyone for that matter. STOP SPEEDING DOWN THIS STREET! If you are late then get [portion removed] up earlier!

Posted by Dave
on Jul 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Many times I've notified the police of speeders on my residential street. They promply come out and set up speed traps. I have never waited for a cat to get killed. Just do your civic responsibility and call the police nonemergency number.

Posted by Nosy Neighbors
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I love the speed traps/mobile radar readouts! Clocked myself @ 14 mph. running down Kottinger last spring. Gotta try & clock my fastball next time it's out.

Posted by I agree!
on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:22 am

I just love it when I'm "speeding" down Foothill at 47 mph and the big honking-lifted-up-tooled-out-flashy-spinnered-round electric blue pickup truck right on my tail is infuriated that I'm actually going the posted speed limit! My god, my speed on those solar-powered (how un-Pleasantonian liberal... solar?!) thingies flashes 47! 47! 47!! and they still feel entitled to ride the bumper of my car and push.

And get this, it's not a teen driving the big honking pickup truck, it's a middle-aged mom!

Posted by Animal Lover
a resident of another community
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:33 am

RIP sweet kitten

Posted by neighbor
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:43 am

The worst are either those van mothers or those bmw big sedan
middle aged mothers who think there something yeah right.

Posted by jenny
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:53 am

Well after the first comment posted I called the police station and talked to them and Animal Service came and got the kitten. Also, on the City of Pleasanton's website you can put your complaints on the traffic complaints page or you can call. IF we all keep calling maybe they will do something. Thank you for picking up the kitten Animal Services! I would not want your job, seeing all those poor animals suffering.

Posted by Tony
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:55 am

Don't you mean COULDN'T CARE LESS? If you could care less then that means you care.

If you have almost been hit by speeders then why wait to call the PPD? Were you just waiting for some animal or person to be hit so you could complain? Nice!

That kitty's blood is on your hands as much as the speeders.

Posted by jill
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Many of mornings I too find myself ready to scream at the speeding cars as they drive by. Worse is it is usually a mom driving her kids to school. SLOW DOWN!

Posted by Let Them Eat Cake..I Mean Kittens
a resident of California Somerset
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

Sorry about the kitten. When I was a kid, we lived on a road where people normally drove twice the posted speed limit (30 miles per hour) and I witnessed many animals, both domestic and wild, getting hit by speeding drivers.

As for who speeds in Pleasanton: look, it's clear that the richer you are, the faster you ought to be allowed to drive and the more traffic rules you ought to be allowed to violate. Otherwise, what's the point of being a middle-aged former cheerleader who married for money?

I can't wait for the new "Lexus Lane" on the 580. I won't be able to afford actually driving in that lane, of course, but I can drive alongside it and see God's Chosen People.

Maybe, just maybe, one of them will wave to me? Well, a one-fingered wave anyway :)

Posted by Stuart
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

There are two sides to the speeding issue. On of the fundamental problems is that Pleasanton has too few major arterials to carry the traffic. This results in that traffic then being on neighborhood streets. People need to get from Point A to Point B expeditiously, and it can be very frustrating doing that at 25 mi/hr with far too many stop lights. The only good news for Pleasanton on that front is that Dublin and Livermore are even worse. It seems like people on both coasts are not capable of understanding the need for major arterial streets to move traffic. They have this "don't build any roads" mentality that creates major problems for time spent commuting and for safety. BTW, I have lived her for over 25 years, so I am not a newcomer bashing California.

Posted by just me
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:55 am

I like to drive the speed limit just to piss people off.

Posted by An SUV mom
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:29 am

I have to agree with Just Me....I do drive the speed limit. I use Mohr by Iron Horse Trail. Talk about another "speed road" where everyone goes 35 and refuses to stop for the joggers or bikers using the trail. Not to mention the workers at the Mohr Business park who speed down Kolln every evening, with the speed sign flashing. Maybe we need speed bumps on the 25 speed zone streets.

Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Yes traffic is getting worse,and yes I agree we need more arterial sts. BUT can we build them? NO! It Is the" NOT IN MY BACKYARD" people that make us go around in circles to get anywhere. The Freeway access at Los Positis should be built . Stoneridge should be put through, The streets that are blocked with barriers should be opened up( Kolln and Valley) Let's get a better flow going through the City. I am tired of going around in circles. Foothill is a lovely drive but has no business being 45 mph. 40 or less is more reasonable. Plus On Foothill there is a part of the road that after you turn right off of Bernal it says 45, on the oyher side of the road comming back, it says 35. No diference in the number of roads comming on to Foothill. Whats Up !!! Also Who let their kitten run loose? In house cats, don't die on streets.

Posted by Sometimes it is just sad
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Our beloved cat was hit by a car, I saw it happen. The man stopped and felt terrible. It was not his fault, the cat did not have the good sense not run in front of his car. He compassionately wrapped her in a blanket from his car. Our cat's name was Crazy Mazie.

We always want to find fault.......sometimes it is just sad.

Posted by Lisa
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Keep driving the Speed limit, Brothers and Sisters!
We must stick together. And I want to thank those who also hold the line on not letting people cut in when others try to speed ahead of everyone else. Solidarity!

Posted by Jenny
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:53 am

Well Tony, Thanks for that sentiment. You are a breath of fresh air...If ppl would pay attention when they are driving maybe they would have noticed the animal(kitten) on the freakin street! Maybe they were on their CELL phone!

Tango, the kitten was a neighborhood kitten, another one who lets their cat get pregnant and set them free to raom. We could never catch her she just hung around.

My kittens were rescued and they live indoors and not ever allowed outside just because of this very reason.

All I ask is please just drive and pay attention. Thanks for all the comments good and bad.

Posted by Denise
on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm

That's one of the reasons why I moved from Rose Ave. My throat hurt from yelling "SLOW DOWN"!!!!!!!!! HEY RESIDENTIAL AREA SPEEDERS it's in the DMV manual 25MPH. That kitten was cute too.

Posted by Jenny
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:21 am

Hey Denise and it is sure quiet around except for the speeders! LOL Miss ya!