Here come the Picnic Police!

Original post made by Stacey on Jul 7, 2010

Web Link

"Break the rules, bring in food or drink without a receipt from an approved vendor, and you can either take it back to your car or be asked to leave."

If these concerts are held on City property, I wonder if Livermore is charging a facility usage fee. If not, they should!

Posted by maverick, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:48 am

I use to work with Jack London Square when they had huge events sponsored by the Port of Oakland. I ran a studio in the area and would ask the stores if they make any money off the events. The response was a resounding NO! Then there's the Main Street events. Again I asked and shops said NO! (I would be interested if I received a slanted response from them). But in essence big events don't really do anything to improve use of the local shops and in fact backfire, because like in Livermore, resentments pop up from either side and the bad taste is hard to get out. This was definitely the case with Jack London Square among the vendors.

One more note: Do you really think China is getting its money's worth by sponsoring the Olympics, or that South Africa is going to become a tourist destination site after the World Cup?

Posted by wondering, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:02 am

Just wondering why you think that the people who pay for the FREE events should not be entitled to benefit from them.
Can you take outside food and wine into a Wente concert?
Can you bring your own food to the movie theater?
If you go into a restaurant to order one meal and eat the rest from your picnic basket what do you think might happen?
Residents want great free stuff downtown but they refuse to patronize the merchants who pay for it. What did you really think the reaction would be? If you want FREE downtown stuff, try dropping a few bucks downtown for a change.
If you want to validate the first poster, ask the Main St merchants how much money they make during the Antique Faire or the Heritage Days or any event that closes Main St to bring "shoppers" (LOL) downtown. It brings traffic, keeps away the real shoppers and leave everyone with that aforementioned bad taste.

Posted by I bring my own Food, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:21 am

Count me out of these concerts. No one is going to force me to buy my food or drinks. I buy it where I want, I fix it myself and I carry with me to the concerts. I'll go to the Pleasanton's concerts instead.

Posted by maverick, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:22 am

Each merchant paying $13,000 (that's over a $1000 per month) is outlandish. But, the outlandish part is that it goes for free events that drive traffic AWAY from the merchants.

If merchants really wanted to drive traffic to their restaurants, they would subsidize a LOCAL'S MERCHANT CARD that allows discounts, freebies, specials for LOCALS ONLY. You go downtown and you get a deal. It accumulates and you get more deals.

Posted by maverick, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:24 am

@ I bring my own food ... I would say this is a reasonable response.

But, as you can see ... the resentment begins ... it's a no win situation.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm

The concert is outdoors, at a public place, and it's free.

So the catch is that you can't eat what you want, you HAVE to spend money from the local eateries.

Outrageous. I'm staying away.

Posted by wondering, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

for Hmmm -- go ahead and take your own food to a local concert that is NOT free and see how far that gets you. Support those who pay for the events or stay away. Win-win, and you won't be missed.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm

That is exactly what everyone does in Pleasanton.

Livermore should follow Pleasanton's example!

Posted by don't know why, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm

@wondering: "for Hmmm -- go ahead and take your own food to a local concert that is NOT free and see how far that gets you."

A not free concert is called a business. A free concert is not a business it's a public event. Walk into business and ask for a free taco and you get booted. Go to a free concert and be told you can't munch on your own goodies is called EXTORTION and most likely illegal. I am glad I could help you in discerning the critical issues at play in this topic.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

wondering,
Well it's not a free concert then is it? Instead of creating negative publicity and animosity, they should sell it, just like they do in all those examples you cited! Heck, they could even sell dinner tickets.

maverick,
A local merchant's card huh? That's not too dissimilar from the ideas behind local currency. See this old thread: Web Link

Posted by maverick, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Stacey ... I read your post on creating local currency \ script ... EXCELLENT! The idea is to generate real dollars for local businesses. Providing local residents with purchasing incentives is the only way to make that work. We know that events are NOT the way to do it. It benefits everyone but the merchants (and in the Livermore example the merchants are paying for their own demise). I hope someone of significance in Livermore and Pleasanton read this thread. BTW Stacey, it's always fun reading your stuff.

Posted by Dennis Jones, a resident of another community
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:43 am

Interesting topic. I produced the live events for the Walla Walla Downtown Foundation for years, and heard the same comments from local businesses, "these events just push away our real customers".

During one summer season, I enlisted a group of Whitman College students to take a place in each Main Street biz on the day of events and do a head count of the actual numbers of patrons entering their shops. The counts, with without exception, far exceeded the numbers given by the shop keepers themselves in numerous tally's done during the previous year.

Scientific? No. But without question illuminating to the fact that these events DO bring increased traffic to the doors of businesses. They key now is for the local businesses to find ways to capitalize on that increased traffic.

Forcing event attendees to purchase food and drin kfrom a specified vendor is counter-productive. But have the businesses thought of running a "Concert Special" or something similar to coincide with the event? It's called opportunhity folks...use it!

Posted by off topic, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 8, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Hey dennis ... ever thought of running for mayor of Pleasanton ...seriously????!!!!????

Posted by Dennis Jones, a resident of another community
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:45 pm

*laughing hysterically*

No, I stopped drinking years ago.

Posted by Karen, a resident of Castlewood
on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:10 am

Livermore missed the mark here. $400,000 for a series of concerts! Who are they paying that much money, first of all?

Second, a concert is that -- FREE. All food was purchased somewhere, does it matter if it was in the Livermore Safeway or the Mr. Pickles deli? The idea is to offer residence something to enjoy in their own city. Low budget concerts with a sponsor or two is perfect. Let the sponsor talk about their business for a few minutes, introduce the low cost band and enjoy you food from home and your wine from Livermore or where ever!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.