To S or not to S?

Original post made by Tango, Vineyard Avenue, on Jun 30, 2010

For years I have listened to people put S on the names of St. Mary St. and St. John St, Of course if they looked at the street signs they would know there is no S on the end of either. Now we have Ruby Hill. So now people are noticing that a street sign says Ruby HillS. I guess we have nothing better to do than complain about the Sssss.

Posted by get rich quick
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

Well, we must take care of our faux-rich real estate mogals ... I mean when one of the 1900 Grand Dames (Rothchild or someone like that) ran a red light in her exclusive housing district, here response was: "Those aren't for US, those are for the little people."

Posted by maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:33 am

Tango, Don't know if you are referring to my pointing out in another posting the inconsistency in the signage for Ruby Hill or not? I was, by the way, (I thought) coming to someone's defense and explaining why there may be some confusion. That's what I get for trying to help out, I guess.

I think you and I have something in common. I, too, am bothered by people mispronouncing street names, like Kolln or Bernal, for example. But, for me, a 3rd Generation Pleasanton native, it is one way for me to tell who's new in town and not a native/local!

Not everything discussed here has to be earth-shattering, does it?

Posted by maj7
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:34 am

Why the hostility to any and all Ruby Hill homeowners?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:03 am

please cite specific examples of "hostility" to any and all Ruby Hill homeowners...how many over a period of 5 years?

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm

maja7 "Not everything discussed here has to be earth-shattering, does it?"... agreed.

And, if I may add to today's enlightenment, it is The Sierra Mountains not The Sierras.

Posted by mikes
a resident of Stoneridge Park
on Jun 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I beens livin of stoneridges in pleasantons for years now - whats your prollem?

Posted by tyu
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:36 am

I love it when Ruby Hill(s) people complain when people add the S. It's nice for me to imagen a life where that's a concern. Not everything discussed here has to be the most important possible subject, matter of fact this is a better forum for the trivial, but lets all just smile and say, "It must be nice."

Posted by tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Maja 7 I was sorry to read that you thought I was making fun of you pointing out the Ruby Hill(s) sign. The point I was trying to make is that we should say what we read and if it is wrong then it should be made correct. I have a last name that is also a famous persons last name. This person tried to get the press to pronounce it correctly but they didn't get the hint so this person gave up. I still hear an a in my name when it is really an e and pronounced as an e.

Posted by unclehomerr..
on Jul 1, 2010 at 11:58 pm

U sayin.. Tengo???

unclehomerr..

Posted by maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

Tango, Thanks for clearing that up! I, too, have a last name that is constantly mispronounced, even though I think it's pretty straight-forward. I think it's just a byproduct of parents 'creatively' spelling children's first name. Everybody wants to be unique, thesedays.

So, Tango...no harm no foul. Thanks:)