THE RICHEST IN TOWN ARE CALLED TO DUTY

Original post made by LOCAL MAYOR on Jun 28, 2010

Yep, I have learned a lot about the next mayoral election. Thank you Pablo, Scott C, curious, justwondering, Stacey and Rat Turd. I just want to expand it "a little". Assumption: let's assume the mayoral position is "symbolic" (just for the sake of conversation), yet they must know stuff (planning, regulations, zoning). Let's also assume that we want to look outside of the "typical box" of only "political experience", yet experience, intelligence and the ability to lead is important. So, why not call on one of our rich, successful CEO's to take on a civic duty of leading our city through the next phase, you know beyond politics, into something substantial. (You know one of the owners of those great mansions I love to envy and look upon). Now, I may be becoming a pest, in that case, gently tell me so (did you hear the word "gently") and I will not bring this subject up again. But, isn't this a good time to become innovative in leadership, see beyond the myopic political realm and ... well do something like get a visionary in Pleasanton? I'm done. Back to socialist soccer for me. (hey dublinmike what is your opinion?)

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm

How have you come to believe that wealthy people might be visionaries?

What exactly do you mean by a visionary?

There are lots of folks with change at the Country Club, maybe after they were elected they would want the likes of you out of town?

Posted by Visionary - YES, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I love the idea, but whom? They need money to run the campaign, smarts to do it and some experience in running a business or city.

Posted by dublinmike, a resident of Dublin
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

LOCAL MAYOR, thank you for the invite.

Rich people running for office? We only have to look at Washington, Jefferson, Adams, et al. And today, Whitman and Fiorina? Are you suggesting that these people have something in common? Wow, I just gave the Tea Baggers a head-rush…

While Washington, et al were well-to-do they did not flaunt it in such a power-trip way. We are extremely fortunate to have had him as our first President. While the right wing in those days thought it best to have a King of America, he thought better. Damn, could he have been a present-day Democrat... just kidding folks, we do not know.

Fortunately, we also have had the less-fortunate such as Andrew Jackson, Lincoln, Grant, Eisenhower, Harding, Hoover (he was, after all, a self-made man), Truman, Clinton and Carter (don't care if some hate him, he made it and his antagonists did not) that made it to the top. T

So, LOCAL MAYOR, you have done your research (or at least paying attention to your teachers… :) ). The experiment of having the rich sometimes works and sometimes... We have had both the rich and less rich and we survived...with some outstanding successes.

Thank goodness we live in this country.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:28 pm

The point is our current mayor is an idiot and commands absolutely no respect. I few years back I represented my community on an issue in front of the council. The issue was not complex at all and as I concluded then Councilwoman Hosterman asked me a question so stupid I started laughing until I could see she was dead serious and had not idea what was going on.

We someone capable of managing Pleasanton through tough times ahead not a visionary.

Posted by Matt, a resident of Beratlis Place
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Why not ask the Lins to move here and be our next Mayor???

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm

John Garamendi Sen. Craig might be interested in becoming your mayor...what's the salary & benefits package...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

What about Sarah Palin?

Posted by Pleasanton Parent, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 29, 2010 at 7:12 am

What's the adage:

"Those we would want in public office are smart enough to know not to"

Posted by George, a resident of Deer Oaks/Twelve Oaks
on Jun 29, 2010 at 7:18 am

Is there a rich candidate that would also be supported by the majority of the population that want to Save the Hills? Most rich CEO types are Chamber people, and that won't fly with our environmentalists in town.

How about that guy that backed the No on D people - Allan Roberts? He is rich and backed by them.

Posted by cannot believe, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:10 am

It seems the point is that local government should be taking more seriously than it is, that it revolves around more issues than just a few, the rich aren't necessarily the ones that have the answer - just the time, and there's a tendency to vote "against" things than "for" things. Yet, with that being said, the Forum seems to be getting more intelligent and focused. I'm actually walking away a more informed citizen, and I am not joking. The morale I'm finding for myself is that politics requires people with the time and/or the natural inclination, not the intelligence or integrity. yet, I'm going to continue to think about this issue, because it seems to me that our local government has more influence on our lives that we are led to believe.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Does anybody think that PT would be better off with a Mexican, Chinese, African or Indian Mayor?

I think that it would be an excellent way to introduce diversity to every aspect of your lovely town!

signed,

EsteveP

Posted by Pleasanton Parent, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Cholo - no.

I don't think ethnicity makes anyone a better elected official.

Posted by new mayor, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm

The biggest attribute a new mayor needs is thick skin. Everyone is ready to blame the mayor for crime, no crime/too dull, noise, too little noise, more houses, not enough more houses, etc. When someone runs against her, they will blame her for her stance on Oak Grove, pro development and "over my dead body" claims of support that vaporized.

Either way, she must not take it personal or she would want to slit her wrists.

Posted by $ Mayor for hire, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:20 am

Whether it is money from the candidate own purse or money from Taiwan, the "richest" candidate has a better chance of getting their message out to the public. IF it is a good message, ref. Oak Grove's massive spending did not sway the majority-even with 9 mass mailings and personal phone calls.

Jen H. has the Lin's and other developer's financial backing for her campaign, so she and her 2 buddies can approve more houses over the next 2 years. She has sold out to the pressures of politics.

The competing candidate must have financial backing, but where from? If not their own $$ then it must come from somewhere!

Find a good candidate with money that supports environmental causes and I would vote for him/her!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.