Neighborhood beautification??

Original post made by Jetson, Downtown, on Jun 23, 2010

Is there anyone that we can contact if we have a concern about curb appeal of some homes in Pleasanton? The house for sale on the corner of Vineyard and 1st, the yard is overgrown and the house is vacant and also the 2 car garage on the proberty next to it with the smashed in garage door. They should just be bulldozed and nicer housing built. But is there someone that can site the owners to clean it up?

Posted by Concerned
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:56 am

I have heard a lot of people complaining about issues as such..We were in the same boat with neighbors who lost their home and had to move to Idaho after owning their home for 12 years.. so sad... anyway, the house was not selling bec it was vacant and the bank doesnt shell out money to fix it to look nice for sellers.. so we took it into our own hands and cleaned up the yard back and front and the house sold is 3 weeks and the new neighbors are great.

Posted by Matt
a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

There you go! Get your lawn mower and tools out and fix up the place rather than complaining. There are too many whiners in this town already

Posted by Lee
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:09 am

We had a similar situation. I called the Police Department first. Asked them to do a check on the property to make sure no one was living there. They then reported to the city maintenance as it was a fire hazard. The next time I walked by it was cleaned up!

Or you could do as Matt suggested, and clean it up yourself. If the bank now owns the property they need to be contacted to fix the broken door.

Posted by Jetson
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:12 am

Jetson is a registered user.

Thanks Lee and Concerned I will try and contact the City Maintenance dept. The so called lawn which is 4 feet high weeds is a fire hazard so I will see if I can reach out to anyone.

Posted by Linz
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:58 am

Ah yes that house! I believe it is still occupied by renters, it goes up for sale about every 6 months for the last 5 years, they are asking waaay too much money for it.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm

the is and has been occupied by squatters...in case you didn't know...in other words, Plutonia is also the home to the homeless...

Posted by Jetson
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Jetson is a registered user.

Good news, I sent an email to someone who works for the City. They replied and are going to check into the situation. We will see....

Posted by Noise
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm

To the extent that traffic noise causes people to neglect their property, the City should enforce noise ordinances...Otherwise it is logical their properties will appear neglected!!!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Web Link This might be helpful.

Posted by Grace
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

For the longest time, I was concerned about the house on the SW corner of North Muirwood and Foothill. I thought a family from the school lived there, but a few years ago, the upkeep started to decline dramatically - cars on blocks in the driveway, lawn waist-high and overgrown with weeds, curtains always drawn. I wondered whether the house had been abandoned or whether the residents had become elderly or ill, or whether there was a drug problem and decline. Then suddenly, for the past week or so, there's been a big dumpster out front, garbage bags and boxes piled high around the outside of the house, a moving van in the driveway... and it's barely made a dent in the mound of boxes and garbage piled in the open garage and the driveway.

Anyone know what's going on?

Posted by Chloe
a resident of Foothill High School
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Grace -- Mind your own business. Whatever is going on there should not be the concern of nosy neighbors just looking for gossip and dirt. If you were so concerned "for the longest time" you should have gone up and knocked on the door, not rely on anonymous posts for an update now.

Posted by Apples
a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

The 'None of your business' comment is way off. We all want our neighborhoods to be kept up. After all is said and done it's about the value of our homes. One lousy neighbor (Paseo Santa Cruz and Camino Segura)--(close enough) who has overgrown shrubs and grass allows bugs, rodents and other lovely creatures to meander about...who wants that? Not me, nor my other neighbors. So, MOW your lawns!!! It keeps up ALL our home values.

Posted by steve
a resident of Parkside
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:44 am

It's only a matter of time before someone gets the idea to drop a match on the eyesores and just collect the insurance money. Maybe that's what matt was suggesting by whining that everyone else should clean up their lazy neighbors property for them

Posted by Grace
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 24, 2010 at 9:20 am

While I realize that it probably is none of my business to wonder why a house in the neighborhood is in decline (other than sympathy, which I felt might be in order), I certainly wouldn't risk walking up to a house of people that I don't know, knock on the door and tell them their house is looking ratty/sad and offer my services. In a simpler, gentler world, that might have been the thing to do, but anyone reading posts on the Town Square forum has read comments about folks having guns at the ready, and anyone who knocks on their door uninvited is fair game. Perhaps they are joking, but perhaps they are not, and *especially* if one has a suspicion that a house is in decline due to drugs, etc., knocking on the door and offering help seems a really risky thing to do.

That said, my sympathies are with the owners of the house if they are going through tough times. Having your entire house/boxes/garbage on display for the town for two weeks must not be helping morale, either.

Posted by jim
a resident of Hart Middle School
on Jun 24, 2010 at 10:17 am

How about the landscaping at the post offices and the bart station. Nothing but weeds that blow all over town causing more weeds. That along with the spray painted walls and Wal Mart Shopping carts littered down Owens drive show what kind of pride we have here in Pleasanton.

Posted by molly
on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

go get a lawn mower and go to work! Why not help clean up an eye sore, or are you to good for that!

Posted by Benjamin
a resident of Gatewood
on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm

We had a house on our court that became bank owned and the realtor that still had her sign on the front lawn said she was not allowed to keep the yard maintained due to liability issues. So very early one Sunday morning I went out and pulled all the weeds. I was tired of looking at it and felt it was the right thing to do. I never told my neighbors what I had done but a few days later another neighbor's kids were out there mowing the lawn. If we want our neighborhoods to continue to look good this is what we need to do!

Posted by Rediculous
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm

People, instead of complaining about your decreasing home values, maybe have a little sympathy and consider their situation. Don't you ever have days where you look beat, due to circumstances which are overwhelming and hard to control? To some, home appearance isn't first priority... If you are really so concerned, get out there with your lawn-mower and clear the yard for them. We don't have to rely on gardeners to do our yard maintenance for us. Or have your lazy kid do something good for so
Rome besides himself for a change.

Posted by Vintage Hills Homeowner
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Bank owned/hard times aside, many homeowners are simply lazy. My street in Vintage Hills looks like a used car lot. In most cases, the owner's garage is filled with junk so cars need to be parked outside. In some cases, owner's collect old/junk cars and use the street as their own personal parking lot. I've tried calling the police, but the owners simply move the car a few feet when the car it ticketed.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the unsightly "used car lot" on my street would be most appreciated.

P.S.
Don't get me started on how some neighbors (not on hard times) keep up the outside of their house.

Posted by Jetson
on Jun 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Jetson is a registered user.

To Vintage Hills:
I went on to the City of Pleasanton's website and found an email to send a note to. I got a response within a few hours and now someone is working on my issue. I am very happy with the helpfulness of the City and how quickly they acted on it. I wouls recommend you do the same