Westbound I-580 lanes open as walkway installed to new BART station from Dublin side

Original post made on Jun 20, 2010

All westbound lanes on I-580 alongside the new West Dublin/Pleasanton BART station near Foothill/San Ramon roads re-opened at 9 a.m. Sunday morning as scheduled after crews installed the first of two pedestrian walkways to the station, which is located in the middle of the freeway.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, June 20, 2010, 7:19 AM

Posted by JM, a resident of another community
on Jun 20, 2010 at 9:12 pm

This has got to be the ugliest thing ever designed by BART or whoever is responsible. I hate driving by it everyday--reminds me of a cattle trough to brand cattle........

Posted by Pro-Law, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm

What a complete waste. Crime at the Stoneridge Mall and surrounding neighborhoods will skyrocket now. The two Dublin / Pleasanton stops are so close.

Posted by anne, a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:23 am

I live in Pleasanton, but can't understand how in the world this project got approved when Livermore NEEDS the station and they have been paying the BART tax for eons! What's the matter with the people making these decisions? Two BART stations in Pleasanton, and none in Livermore? What a waste!!!!!!!

Posted by Maggie, a resident of Valencia
on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

I agree with JM and anne. The construction looks like something that would have been built in the 60s and 70s, not 2010.

I never did understand the purpose of this stop. I can understand that there are businesses in that area that may be able to attract potential new employees given the proximity to a BART station but at what cost?

Seems a total waste of money. I would think lowering the cost of BART travel would be a better use of money. If not expanding it a bit further down 580 to help with traffic.

Can anyone shed light as to how something like this gets approved?

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 21, 2010 at 10:28 am

Folks, go back and search these forums. As stated many times before, the new station was paid in large part by a private developer, so BART welcomed them with open arms. I'm not sure who is paying the final tally with the cost overruns and delays

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.