Farmer's Market Political Conversation

Original post made by Old Adage, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jun 15, 2010

With the elections coming up, I thought I would talk with one of the red, while and blue people on the Main Street end of the Farmer's Market. I had mentioned that the elections didn't seem to reflect the discontent I had heard so much about. The were 84 incumbents on the various primaries last week. 82 won, 1 lost, and one has a run-off. That doesn't sound earth shaking. "No," she said, "we are just a peaceful group gathering more and more steam as we move toward the election." Peaceful? Why, you're name calling reminds me of the anti-war hippies in 60's & 70's. "No, we don't name call anyone." So you don't use the words Nazi, communist or socialist in any derogatory way. "No, no we don't. Not one conservative does that". How about Glenn Beck. "Oh, no he just gets excited sometimes." I mentioned that I heard Glenn Beck say we are a socialist state and that was bad for America. He said he got that information from the library, where information is free. Don't you get the contradiction. Blank stare. "Look, I'm for hard working Americans and i don't think we should be paying for all the people that don't work and pay their fair share." Do you have health insurance? "Yes, I'm on Medicare and Social Security." So you don't work and you do have other people pay for your benefits. "Excuse me, would like to sign our petition against Obama (or something to that effect).

Look, I am not an extreme in any way. I just want this next election to mean something. It's the illogical contradictions that get me. Don't worry. Next week I'm hunting down a democrat to see what they have to say about the state of affairs.

Posted by jimf01
a resident of another community
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm

jimf01 is a registered user.

Why is an incumbent winning their primary an illogical contradiction?

Why is someone on medicare and SS wanting government to not spend us into oblivion an illogical contradiction?

If complainers on the left and the right to some degree or another use derogatory terms toward their opponents, why is there an illogical contradiction?

A group of political activists who are making gains over time, using a venue like the Farmers market to publicize their positions. I think we have that on the left and the right.

The gains that the conservative groups have made is to get more of their endorsed candidates into the general election. The TEA Party members certainly had an influence, in my opinion, on the CD-11 primary, and now I believe the GOP candidate has a very strong position to unseat Jerry McNerney. The TEA Party power, in CD-11 in particular, is gaining momentum. I don't think you went down to find a petition to sign for a conservative in the first place.

Do you know what the TEA Party stands for? Do you know what limited government means? Do you think we can have a government that would provide a safety net, roads, police & fire, national defense and maybe even a library to borrow books, without having to have a nanny state and ever expanding entitlements?

When you go look for a Democrat, make sure to ask them those three questions.

Posted by Old Adage
on Jun 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm

jimf01

Good points. Look I'm just learning this game. So, what you're saying seems logical to me. Maybe I'm not the one that's logical. I'm open to being the slow one in the bunch here. What I am saying is that I know this election is going to be critical for the future. I'm starting to use this site to get some info. I don't like some of it, but a lot, like Measure D and the School stuff is pretty interesting. Let's keep an open mind to discussion and maybe guys like me can learn a few things. Incidentally, it was my wife that pointed me in this direction. So we can blame her if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Posted by Tori
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:24 am

Don't we pay into Social Security and Medicare when we are working in the form of payroll taxes? Employers are taxed too, but I agree with jimf01 about this being a contradiction. My understanding is Social Security started out as a retirement fund of sorts and then the program grew to include much more, obviously stretched beyond its means with the dire predictions of when it will "run out". I'm all for helping people and not saying any one program or service isn't something of value but there's the financial reality of things. If we spend more money than we have eventually we (whether it's a family, business, or government) will fail. We won't be able to provide help to anyone at that point.

Posted by jimf01
a resident of another community
on Jun 16, 2010 at 11:15 am

Yeah it is correct, when SS was started it provided benefits at age 65, and the average life expectancy was approx 65. Now life expectancy is what, late 70's, unless you are put in front of the death panels.
The amount taken is of course higher, and the money that the fed gov has collected all these years was SPENT on other things.
The payroll deductions being taken from everyone now are being used to pay the current retirees, and there isn't even enough being collected to pay them.
The number of workers is going down and retirement age population is going up due to aging baby boomers. You do the math.

Old A - welcome to the forum

Posted by M.
on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:06 am

M. is a registered user.

jimf01

going to have to ask... Death Panels?
That notion has be debunked time and time again and is not considered one of the biggest out of control pieces of false information, rumor, rhetoric of the entire health care debate. The rumor first seen coming from the same media outlets that were all over Clinton's health care bill. These being The Washington Times editorial board, American Spectator magazine and Betsy McCaughey, and then repeated and recycled for months on end. There is no, and never was language in any proposed bill what so ever referring to death panels or anything resembling death panels.

Posted by jimf01
a resident of another community
on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:31 am

just slipped that in to see if anyone was paying attention ;)

Posted by M.