Pleasanton PD Supports Public Drunks at Concerts

Original post made by what\'s wrong with this picture, Pleasanton Heights, on Jun 8, 2010

The PD has inordinately strict rules for drinking during the First Wednesdays and wine strolls. In fact, drinkers are roped off in a crowded area by the band on Wednesdays and not allowed to leave that area with any drinks as that would apparently cause the world to end.
Rumor has it that swat team snipers might even be on nearby roofs to shoot any offenders. (OK, just kidding about that part).
However, the PD completely ignores the drunks at the concerts in the park on Fridays. I attended the last one and was amazed not only at the amount of drinking but the fact that many concert attendees stayed around well after the concert ended in order to have their own private drinking parties in the park.
I would ask the PD -- is it legal to drink in public or not? If yes, then why do you so severely (and unreasonably) restrict the drinking on Wednesdays? If no, then why do you turn a blind eye to the drinking in the park on Fridays? You cannot have it both ways.
The PD needs to start showing up during the concerts to monitor, among other things, the braindead jaywalkers who lug their chairs, coolers and little kids across First St all evening without regard for the cars. The PD needs to decide whether it is or is not acceptable to drink in public. Of course if they decide to follow their own rules and restrict public drinking, they would also need to inform the mayor and other city officials who regularly sit in front of the band while drinking.
Come on PD, equal enforcement should not be so hard. Personally, I would vote for equal NON-enforcement as many other cities have regular street festivals with beer and wine allowed and I have never noticed it to be a problem.

Posted by sad
a resident of Grey Eagle Estates
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:52 am

While I agree with you to some degree, did you voice your concern to Pleasanton PD or just your complaint on PW? Action by Pleasanton PD can not be taken unless someone voices a concern to them, so instead of complaining on this blog, you should take your concern directly to the PD.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm

This blog is home to the whiners. Most if not all have NO INTENTION of doing much more than whining!

eeh eeh eet, eeh eeh eet...

Posted by what's wrong with this picture
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jun 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Wrong again Cholo. I have spoken with the PD and the Downtown Association. No response from either. It appears to be something the PD just ignores at the concerts because the mayor, the PDA, the fire chief, you name it, all sit around on the grass and drink with the rest of the partiers.
As I said, I do NOT disapprove of this, it's sort of a nice party. But, if they choose to ignore this drinking they should lighten up on the first Wednesday crowds.

Posted by ?????
on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I thought the roped off section had to do with the fact that alcohol is being sold in that area and you need to show id to drink.

Posted by Mitchell
a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:45 pm

What's Wrong with this Picture,
Be careful what you ask for. The Pleasanton PD has restrictions in place for specific events because they pose problems. They aren't going to start a free-for-all just because they need to be fair. So the end result of your little rant....the PD will stop all drinking at Concerts in the Park. An event that is highly regarded and enjoyed by thousands will be significantly impacted. Congratulations!

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

For you that do not register with PW, you deserve to have your handles, or User ID, hijacked.

I have it on good authority, BTW, that Cholo and M are a couple... just kidding. But, it's both your own fault if some hijacks your identity.

Posted by Pro-Law
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:20 am

Isn't the roping off an ABC restriction / license thing because alcohol is being sold?

As far as people having open containers at concerts in the park... is it really the end of the world? It is only an infraction. I have more of a problem with people allowed to save their seats so early. It should be first come first serve (and you have to stay there).

Posted by Kelsey
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:11 am

The municipal code does prohibit alcohol in all city parks, unless the director of parks and community services provides an exception. This was done for the Concert in the Park series at Wayside Park. Alcohol is allowed during the duration of the concert series and during the actual concert times only. This event and venue usually don't experience even a hint of the problems that the First Wednesday does during the later hours when the young, drunk and stupid crowd rears it's ugly head. Place the blame where blamce belongs- with the obnoxious people who cannot handle alcohol and not the cops.

Posted by really?!?!
on Jun 9, 2010 at 10:29 am

what's wrong with this picture,

Are you serious?! You are trying to compare two totally different beasts by putting 1st Wednesdays up against Concerts. You're also the reason it will eventually be ruined for everyone. Find something else to do besides come on the PW blog and complain about some of the best community events in the Bay Area. Alcohol is SOLD at 1st Wednesdays and there are 10x the number of people at that event, so it must be controlled. To echo a few other posters, yes there are ABC requirements with 1st Wednesdays, as well as FIRE requirements. The PD and PDA have realized that the beer garden has become a bit of a beast and I think they're doing the best they can just to keep that portion of the event afloat. Really... "snipers on the roof..." there are only a handful of people that even know what that means, so you must be one of those "problem-children" I so often hear about from the hard-working downtown folk. I highly doubt you contacted the PD or PDA, as I have done so many times and I always get a response; and one that makes sense to the layperson that doesn't understand what they're up against or why things are done the way they are. When I asked the PDA about the Concerts, I found out they've have been here in Ptown for 30+ years. That's incredible. How dare you start a fire that could possible ruin this event for all of who enjoy it RESPONSIBILY! Find something else to do!

Posted by great
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

let's take away any fun at all in Pleasanton. Haven't been to concerts in the park in a couple years, but they were always fun to have a couple drinks. Maybe we can manage to get that taken away too.
If you want some fun, carry a cup of beer outside of the ropes on 1st Wed and see how many cops will have you surrounded and how long they will lecture you.

Posted by 1st Wedn no more
a resident of Parkside
on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:14 am

The First Wednesday beer garden used to be OK when it was larger and the table area was included. You could actually sit and eat and have a beer or glass of wine while listening to the band. Now you can either eat or drink but not both. At Livermore street parties you can carry your drink on the street and I have heard of no problems there. So either have a real street fair with on-the-street sales of beer or wine or expect most people to figure it out that standing in the middle of 1000 people penned up like cattle drinking a glass of wine with no food is not exactly a good time.

Posted by really?!?!
on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:44 am

1st Wedn no more,

Stay in Livermore then. Buh-bye. We've all had this discussion before on the forum about the beer garden. The PD and others at The City have not jumped on the "drink in the streets" bus yet, so the downtown association is doing the best they can with that area and the restrictions given. To repeat this conversation for the 100th time on here, LPFD had a problem with the tables and chairs being in the garden, so the compromise was to have 10 tables or so in the front with NO drinking for families and children to sit down. If you wanted to drink, you get to stand in the (much larger than previous years) rear portion. And I don't know about you, but I can drink and eat while standing up just fine. Even monkeys can do it, can you?

Posted by Michael Leonard
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Michael Leonard is a registered user.

"what's wrong with this picture" your logic is flawed and you really should leave people alone so they can have a good time. I've been to both events and they are under control. The beer and wine are kept in the fenced area on 1st Wednesday and kept with in the park during the concerts. I don't see any thing wrong with that and I don't appreciate you trying to stir up trouble for these events. I paid a lot of money for my place that is withing walking distance of down town so that I can do to events. If you don't like the events then just stay home.

Posted by what's wrong with this picture
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Geez really?!?! -- guess that you can eat like a monkey but cannot comprehend what has been written.
Had you actually read what I wrote you would see that I am in favor of LESS control, not more. But since you decided to become offensive about it . . . . maybe it's time to call the PD and start that "no alcohol" ball rolling. I rarely ever attend the concerts anyway as I am generally not inclined to spend several hours with a few thousand strangers and their kids. If the boozy concerts are cancelled it will not change my life at all so maybe in answer to your rant I'll just see what happens with a little stirring of the pot. Next time you might use a bit of restraint with that sarcasm and name calling.

Posted by resident
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:18 pm

The two events are not really comparable. The concerts in the park series is mostly attended by families that live in the area. Many walk to the park. Kids run around and play in the creek while the adults share a glass of wine and a light snack while catching up with their friends and neighbors. I have been regularly attending with my family for at least five years and have never seen any non-appropriate behavior.

Conversely, the first Wednesday parties are decidedly "single" events and attract many from out of town who party hard and behave badly. Last week I witnessed a gaggle of drunken women stumble down the street in high heels and bimbowear on their way back to their car, numerous young men and women throwing up down various side streets, and one late forties woman kneeling in front of the "window washer" pretending to perform an act better suited for private quarters while the drunken onlookers took pictures, whooped, and hollered.

Now, I am not prudish, but it seems to me there is a significant difference between polite social interaction that features adult beverages and drunken buffoonery. So here is a constructive suggestion to our local police force, who I feel already do a fine job of looking after our interests. Set up sobriety check points on each of the major thoroughfares out of town after each first Wednesday party and let the event continue. My guess is that those who travel to our town to misbehave will soon find other places to relive their adolescence, and the resulting fine revenue will more than offset the cost of manpower.

Posted by Big Dog
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:47 pm

The behavior of all the drunks at City events is the reason many residents carry firearms...for their own safety!

Posted by really?!?!
on Jun 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Resident, well said.

What's wrong with this picture, booooooooooooo. I think we all remember the tattle-tale during school recess!

Posted by I'm with what's wrong with this picture
a resident of Jensen Tract
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I have wondered the same thing about public drinking at the Fridays in the Park. I am surprised to hear that it is actually allowed. I am also surprised at how fast posters are getting "the shakes" just thinking about having to give up their polite public drunkenness. And yes, let's arrest the drunks on their way out of town so the local polite drunks can run over our kids (sarcasm intended). Wow.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?