Are You In Favor of the Obama Admin "Reinventing" and Controlling Journalism in America?

Original post made by Surveyor, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jun 4, 2010

Are you in favor of this??? This is exactly what they are seriously considering.

FTC officials began a project in May 2009 to consider the challenges the journalism industry faces in the digital age. The federal agency recently released a discussion draft titled "Potential Policy Recommendations to Support the Reinvention of Journalism," a 47-page document (link >>> Web Link ) that outlines a major government push to rescue the country's flailing media platforms -- specifically newspapers, which have seen advertising revenues drop roughly 45 percent since 2000.

More info >>> Web Link

What are your thoughts?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I sure am and I can hardly wait for it to happen!

I believe that at least 30% of the articles should be written in Spanish and 30% in Cantonese.

I rest my case...

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

It is more Corporatism.

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:08 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

First of all, Surveyor, it's the Federal Trade Commission that is looking at this not the Obama Administration. I would also like to point out that three of the appointees on the FTC were by Pres. Bush.

The FTC, although they may have had good intentions, some of their suggestions are just a little out there, such as the creation of a "journalism" division of AmeriCorps; a 5 percent tax on consumer electronics; and establishing citizenship news vouchers...tax payer(s) to allocate some amount of government funds to the non-profit media organization" of their choice. I admit, odd.

The rest is opinions by conservative "media watch dogs." At least Jeff Jarvis, is an interesting character in his own right, was interviewed. He is right that Blog is not in the FTC radar, and that may be a good thing. I hope the Fox News

Posted by Fetish Finder
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I am now convinced that the people who are obsessed with Obama are G*Y ... they love him. They want pictures of him and because they can't have him want to blame him for ALL THE WORLDS PROBLEMS. The have a man-crush on him. I applaud you for your self exploration ... but really ... rent a room.

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

Fetish Finder... LOL. I never thought of it that way.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Think about it like this: Web Link

Posted by judy
a resident of Danbury Park
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I think his attempt to control the press, is a dangerous threat to Jefferson's concept of freedom of speech in the press.
Today's press, is the medica. With all the problems, one of his first orders of business was his personal verbal threats and his administration like Rahm Emanuel making the threatening calls. Suddenly, John Stossel (give me a break) was fired from ABC, Lou Dobbs was fired for disussing daily news events on CNN, and a third I don't recall at the moment. People and other shows were told to ignore Fox, which I don't watch, but I would DEFEND the RIGHT to air and watch ! ! Then, pretty petty for a President, he ridiculed and trashed Rush, again I NEVER listen, but WHY should a president stoop so low to squelch our vast selection of media and press ? ? Those attempts were petty and UNpresidential.