Remove the Town Square Forum

Original post made by Mary, Pleasanton Valley, on May 24, 2010

As a longtime resident and complete lover of Pleasanton, this "forum" is very upsetting. Free speech...ok. But why invite such divisiveness and mud-slinging to our community? These are not intelligent debates going on, but rather hurtful accusations, often without merit. There is nothing worth while on these forums, nothing terribly helpful. Everytime I come back it is the same old garbage. C'mon Jeb and Gina, take a bold stand and do something to help Pleasanton...REMOVE THE TOWN SQUARE FORUM! As for me and my family, we will remove ourselves from your "Express" emails, and discontinue our subscription to the Weekly until the Forum is gone.

Posted by Clueless
on May 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Mary: Didn't you come here to say the same exact thing many months ago during the height of the Measure G fiasco? Why do you still come back? People have the choice of reading the garbage on TSF, or not. If you don't like reading the garbage on here, then go away. Adios Amigo!

Posted by Jay
a resident of Amador Estates
on May 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Interestingly I have had the exact opposite reaction to the Forum. Before I started reading the posts (yes, as vibrant as the interchanges can get) I became more involved in the Pleasanton Weekly and more aware of the nature of the people that live in Pleasanton. I do no agree with a lot of posts, yet it seems to be a mirror to the general American population. I agree with Mary on one thing: it sure did pop my bubble about the innocence of Pleasanton. Yes, I thought it was a serene little village, nestled in the vineyards, snoozing while normal politics took place. Does this make me unhappy? No, but it does make me more aware of local issues for example the school issues, Measure D, the decisiveness of the Tea Party and Washington and many other issues that would have gone unnoticed. I am particularly proud of Gina Channell-Allen's fair treatment of both Freedom of Press and Speech. She has a touch job, but shutting down personal freedoms is not a productive solution. Then there is the age old option: If you don't like it then change the channel. No one is forcing anyone to come to this site. Stop your emails but don't stop the presses. I look forward to the Pleasanton Weekly showing up in my mailbox. There was a time I didn't even notice the darn thing.

Posted by Jay
a resident of Amador Estates
on May 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Just one more thought. Has anyone gone over to the Contra Costa Times and seen how many comments they have on their newspaper. It's close to Zero. What does that tell you about the need for a forum like this one? Well to me it says we need it. Okay, I'm off my podium.

Posted by Amy
on May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I am one of the people who has been more outspoken on this site. I agree with Jay above, however, I strongly believe the format of this forum should be changed. Not everyone who pops into this site wants to read political posts...nor do I want to read about the latest cookie recipes.

I have recommended on this site before that when you go into the TownForum, you then have categories to choose from. So people who want to view and participate in the political forum can do so. And people who want to view the latest in upside-down cake decorations can do so...without having to view the subject lines of postings that don't interest them.

Summary, it is the format of this Forum that needs changing...and not the content.

Posted by Forum is good
on May 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Jay expresses the value and concept beautifully. I didn't use to pay attention to school issues, now I do. I think the Forums is fabulous. Just yesterday, I was thinking "I wish somebody would do one of those peves and gripes threads again. I think it's a great insight to people in Pleasanton. There are times I wish the 'politics' would be about issues but not people. But, it's better to have it, than not have it. I think it creates a more informed community. Sadly, so many do not take newspapers..I think that is a tragedy. All news sources are needed, but people should read a daily paper. Keep the Forum. Having it open to a specific sub-catagory is OK, but I think a CHOICE would be really sweet. Once a day, like to scroll through all topics. But, some days, if something really hot is cranking, I would prefer just going straight to that one topic several times.

Posted by Jen
a resident of Del Prado
on May 24, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I take a lot of the posts with a grain of salt because I'm sure that there are people who get paid to post on sites like this and promote ideologies. I highly doubt that all the extremist posts that get put on this site are from actual Pleasantonians, nor do I think they reflect the views of most people in this town.

Posted by Forum is good
on May 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm

No, I'd say it's 99% tri-valley, 90+% Pleasanton. One guy mentioned Dublin, and our beloved irritant says he lives in Livermore. I'd like to know HOW to get paid. That would be great, since one thing I have plenty of, is opinions !
Stacey does seem to be quite informed on some issues.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on May 24, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Just to be fair, what about the toxic waste that emanates from TRACY?

bum burp or what?

Posted by M.
on May 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm

M. is a registered user.

I was wrong, as it turns out we can all agree on something after all. Regardless of how infuriating our forums can be, or how obtusely idiotic some of the comments and posts may be we all seem to agree that we like our PW forums! So,I take back everything I ever said about us PW users being a bunch of malcontents that will never be able to agree on anything.

Posted by jumpin jack
on May 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm

no no no - that's entirely wrong

Posted by M.
on May 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm

M. is a registered user.

Curses!

Posted by Rat Turd
on May 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Awwwwww come on. It is important to have debate and listen to others ideas otherwise we become like China, North Korea, Russia, or Chicago!

Posted by R U A COMMIE?
a resident of Danbury Park
on May 24, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Give us a break, Mary!! We need the TSF to enrich our lives and give insomniacs (like me) something to occupy our time after 11:00 p.m. Sure beats watching the news or Jay Leno, don't you think!?

Posted by C'mon
a resident of Foothill Farms
on May 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

Mary..... I just got the same speech from my 7 year old this morning. "If you don't do this, then I'll do that." Are you really serious? If you don't get your way then threaten them! I don't think that usually works. By the way... We won't miss you.

Rat Turd: Leave Chicago out of this. I mean just because they beat up the Sharks REALLY bad.

Posted by Captain Tripps
on May 25, 2010 at 8:40 am

I'm surprised that some residents are so naive as to believe that Pleasanton is full of nothing but sweetness and light. Like every city in the world, Pleasanton has its share of drug dealers, tax evaders, racists, hate mongers, pedophiles, socialists, land barrons, and just plain idiots.

Every single one of them has their right to free speech. It's the people who think they know who should and should not get to speak that are really scary.

Personally, I think if we could just get rid of the Dutch, we'd be OK.

Posted by m
on May 25, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hummm Captain Tripps ... my neighbors are Dutch ... they are always smiling and waving at people who walk by their house ... I knew there was something suspicious about them. I say GET RID OF THE DUTCH and all will be well ... uhhhh .... hey Captain Tripps are you sure getting rid of 3 Dutch will solve America's problems ... well if you say so ... GET RID OF THE DUTCH

ps Love the forum!!!!

Posted by disagree
a resident of Golden Eagle
on May 25, 2010 at 9:20 am

Jay--I disagree that the Town Square Forum mirrors the opinions of this community. I think this forum represents a very small radical sect of our community. I have watched this forum represent teacher haters, union haters, small minded people, and people that basically that want to complain about the smallest things in life. I don't believe that represents Pleasanton as a whole at all.

Posted by Captain Tripps
on May 25, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hey 'm', just look at what the Dutch did to Cocoa. If that doesn't prove that they're up to no good, nothing will.

(P.S. Please say hi to Q for me.)

Posted by Nosy Neighbors
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on May 25, 2010 at 9:31 am

Remember people, it's only the internet, it can't hurt you. Anybody with a laptop, an opposable thumb or IQ over 95 & a recently induced caffeine buzz can instantly be a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist or political giant in their own little world.

Sometimes you have to wade through all the fluff, incoherent ramblings, far left/right wing posts, Cholo's random insertions & numerous cut & paste's to truly get a feeling for the real pulse of the general citizenry. For whatever level we have either sunk to or risen above I believe that the TSF has at least engaged people to think about the issues that concern our town, the surrounding area & world we all occupy.

Posted by ccwc
a resident of Jensen Tract
on May 25, 2010 at 9:44 am

If these Forums upset you so much Mary - DON'T READ THEM! It's really very simple silly person.

Posted by Sally
on May 25, 2010 at 10:15 am

Mary,

Hasta la vista, baby. Don't let the door kick you in your buns.

Its kind of like the woman that was testifying at the hearing over Hooters wanting to open a restaurant in town. She said, I've eaten at Hooters in(a nearby city) hundreds of times, and every time I found their attire offensive."!!!

Posted by Kemo Sabe
a resident of Grey Eagle Estates
on May 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

How about some dialogue on the upcoming propositions and measures that we will be asked to vote on. I for one look to the forum for some pro and con on the props and measures. Any takers?

Posted by LOL
a resident of Amador Estates
on May 25, 2010 at 11:23 am

Remove the person who wants to remove TSF

Posted by Mom
on May 25, 2010 at 11:39 am

The TSF is a lot like television - entertaining at times, informative at times, and yes, at times includes items which can be offensive, inflammatory or just boring.
Sorry, Mary, have to agree with the other posters - treat the TSF as you would the television set - tune it out if you dislike it.

Posted by to Kemo Sabe
a resident of Las Positas
on May 25, 2010 at 11:40 am

Here are two threads:
Prop 16 Web Link

Prop 17 Web Link

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on May 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Mary,

Rather than trying to control others' speech with threats, wouldn't it be more effective to develop your critical listening skills?

Posted by D W
on May 25, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I, for one, am a believer in free press & speech, but am also a strong advocate for discretion and accountability.

Debate/arguing in a hateful, ideological, and divisive matter should not be a part of any forum. It's not my idea of entertainment or valued advice. Unfortunately, the posters that Mary seems most upset with always post before they think and are more concerned with their own entertainment than they are with the need to improve our community and the security of the entire Weekly community in person and online. Because hateful rhetoric can be just as indirectly threatening as physical violence is directly threatening.

One thing the Weekly can do a better job on with this Forum page is to separate the real discussion-related posts from those that are too irrelevant to be taken seriously and can pose a serious threat to others. We need more real, interested, caring posters and fewer spin-obsessed, hot-talk-hypnotized, uninterested-in-solutions-only-in-cultural-war-mongering bloggers to make this Forum more valuable.

I thank Jeb, Gina, Stacey, et al for giving all of us the opportunity to state how we truly feel about our great city, warts and all. In further truth, most of the warts in this city (and on this website) come from those who prefer to label those who disagree with their thinking instead of help those in need of teamwork.

Posted by Sue
a resident of Castlewood
on May 26, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I like Cholo. He leaves the most memorable comments of all. You always get a laff.