C.O.R.E.

Original post made by Tapped out, Mohr Park, on May 18, 2010

How many of you know how the C.O.R.E. funds will be allocated?

I was under the impression that if I gave $150 per child at either the elementary or middle school level that that money would go to saving a computer tech or library tech at those respective sites. I have since learned that the hours reached by each level are being "pooled" between the elementary & middle schools. Creating a set number of hours to be divided up by 3 hours a day for a tech specialist and 4-5 for a library tech still leading to lay-offs. There are 2 or 3 library techs being laid off and 4 to 5 tech specialists being laid off. The remaining people will be covering more than one school on their 15-20 hours a week.

I believe that the community is not aware that the C.O.R.E. campaign was misrepresented or that the PUSD is doing whatever they want with that money.

Example: If elementary received 4 hours of library and middle receives 3 then they combine the hours = 9x4=36 plus 3x3=9 for a total of 45 hours...now divide that by 5 and you have 9 positions...not the 12 that are needed.

Computer techs - elementary 2x9=18 plus 1x3=3 equal 21 hours....now divide that by 3 and you have 7 positions...not the 12 that are needed.

People are still being layed off....this plan does not save all jobs.

Just thought the public should be aware.

Posted by Thanks for the information
on May 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thank you for the information. I was uncomfortable with the CORE fundraising from the beginning because the board chose not to pay attention to the surveys.

I had already made the decision not to give, and this information makes me feel a lot better about my decision.

Posted by Another piece of information that needs to be known
on May 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm

There is also a fundraising going on for Music. What the district does not tell you is that it is only for elementary strings and band.

What they do not tell you is that they have cancelled the 7th period in high school, and that freshmen and sophomore students will not be able to enroll in Music as an elective due to the absence of a 7th period.

What they do not tell you is that the Music program is in jeopardy and it does not make sense to raise money for elementary strings and band, given that students entering 9th grade will not be able to participate in Music. What is the purpose of instrumental music in the lower grades if students will not be able to pursue it in the upper grades?

Why can't PUSD tell the community exactly what is going on? No more half truths, please.

Posted by JenniferH
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I agree that PUSD should be open and honest about what it plans to do with the funds it raises. However, I think its policy of sharing any funds amongst the various schools. Otherwise, it means that schools in the more affluent areas of Pleasanton are likely to fare better than those in less wealthy areas, even though the staff and parent volunteers at those schools might have worked just as hard to try to raise funds.

Already, students in mostly wealthy communities such as Pleasanton have many, many advantages over those in less affluent areas. As individuals, we can do little to change that. But we can at least try to give equal opportunities to the students within our own community.

Posted by JenniferH
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm

A correction to my post....

The second sentence should read:

However, I think its policy of sharing any funds amongst the various schools is a good one.

Posted by parity
on May 18, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Our school district operates under an ideal of parity amongst all schools. This allows for all areas of Pleasanton to share in roughly the same quality of schools. This philosophy isn't shared in other cities and districts and is one of the characteristics that makes our district desirable. Pleasanton doesn't have regional pockets of superior or inferior schools compared to our surrounding cities (such a Fremont). Unfortunately with the drastic cuts we've seen, I'm sure more people would rather prop up their own individual kid's school. But this might be a short-sighted approach for keeping our local schools successful in the long term.

Posted by Enough
a resident of Country Fair
on May 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I am okay with giving as long as the fundraising dollars are used for what the campaign states. It appears that with CORE it led people to believe that ALL middle school & elementary school library techs and computer tech's jobs would be saved. I understood it to be that way - and that is not the case. I understand parity and I do think that that is an honorable trait here in Pleasanton, but that is not how the core money appears to be being shared.

As for the Elementary strings/band fundraiser - I believe that (if the money is to go where it should!) this is a good cause. Hopefully in the next few years the whole mess will be over and the state will be in better shape so the schools will get their funding back. When that happens, do you really want there to be no music in high school?

Posted by Diva
on May 18, 2010 at 10:58 pm

If you don't want to donate, then don't. Stop making excuses as to why you don't donate to CORE. No one really care to hear it. The objective is to save as many jobs as we can with these donations and we do our best to help these children, since our legislators have failed us. I'd rather donate the money and do the little bit we can rather than to sit around and do nothing at all.

Posted by Thomas Paineful
a resident of Canyon Oaks
on May 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm

PUSD is required to achieve "equity" between the schools by Board policy, which means that all resources (both personnel and funds) must be fairly allocated. Even if this was not a requirement, do you really want a school district in which some students have a clear advantage over others by having greater access to librarians, music teachers, art teachers, etc?

What am I saying? OF COURSE YOU DO.

Blah, I just wasted the two minutes it took me to write this comment. If only I could travel back in time and stop myself from writing it....

Posted by It is already that way
on May 19, 2010 at 9:06 am

"When that happens, do you really want there to be no music in high school?"

That is already happening with the elimination of the 7th period. Next school year there will be very few students enrolled in Music in high school. The myopic view of the elementary parents who advocated for the lower grades at the expense of the upper grades is amazing.

Posted by Clarification Needed
a resident of Canyon Oaks
on May 19, 2010 at 10:33 am

I would suggest that you refer to the CORE Campaign information on the PPIE or PUSD websites. It is made very clear as to how the funds will be allocated at various levels of funding. bottom line is this.....if you're truly interested in saving all tech and library hours / jobs......DONATE TODAY! PLEASE......you are spreading false accusations and doubt amongst our community without having the facts in order. If you want TRUE answers, contact the PPIE office or the district. I'm sure they can provide accurate information.....not here say or misinterpretation. I'm committed to doing what I can for our schools, teachers, aids, and more importantly...our students. I challenge you to do the same!

Posted by Not donating
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on May 19, 2010 at 11:24 am

The one budget-cut item our family was interested in saving was the opportunity for the high school kids to take 7 classes each day.

This is NOT AN OPTION even though the surveys indicated that many parents wanted to save this feature of the current school year.

It's hard enough for college-bound kids to get in all the requirements to look good to the UC and CSU admission offices. There's now no additional period to explore other interests like business, foods, music, etc.

Shame on PUSD for taking classes away from it's high school students!

Posted by Foothill parent
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on May 19, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Posted by I doubt it
on May 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

"High school CAN still offer music programs if they treat music the same as athletics, and conduct it after school. That avenue needs to be pursued further. Perhaps Band Boosters are already looking into this option. Our music programs are too wonderful at both high schools to eliminate them entirely."

I do not understand why because in middle school, that is how students manage to take Music and still take all the required classes. I know becaue I have a child in middle school who participates in the Music program.

Why are the high schools not allowed to do so? Who knows? The board has made one bad decision after another.

I agree that Music should be taken either before or after school, as it is done with many clubs and sports.

Posted by Erika Beratlis
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I'm sorry but I disagree with the comments that state that the CORE campaign is misrepresenting where it is spending its money. It is very clear on their website Web Link

There are 3 "apples" to click on for each group of schools. If you donate to the elementary program your $150 will go to the elementary program funding & the goal here is to save our tech support teachers & our library assistants. You cannot have your money go to a specific school ...but your money does not get sent to middle school funding if you specified it was to go to elementary...that is incorrect information "Tapped Out".

Sadly we are not meeting our goal at this time & now we are losing 3 of our town's very important & well loved librarians at Valley View, Hart & Vintage Hills. Unless C.O.R.E receives $150,000 more in donations we will not be able to keep all of our librarians & librarians will have to be shuttling to different schools during the day to cover the schools who do not have one.

It is so sad to me to hear of people calling out CORE that they are misrepresenting when all they are trying to do is save our children's education. It is a shame to me that people don't see that if we all chip in we can make a difference. But if some people don't it makes others have to pay more. $150 is the approx cost of a weeks summer camp...less than the cost of a season of sports...yet people don't want to pay $150 so the elementary school children can all benefit by having a year of wonderful lessons by our amazing librarians & tech teachers. Just so disappointing to me.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on May 19, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Pleasanton in the news! Web Link

Posted by To Erika
on May 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm

"Just so disappointing to me."

And how do you think those of us with high school children feel? The selfishness of the elementary parents was outrageous. There was a parent that stood up at a board meeting to suggest that the district punished the high schools, that was her "brilliant" idea to make sure a parcel tax passed.

How selfish and ignorant she is, imo. By punishing the upper grades as she suggested, parents who have kids in elementary but also in high school (I am an example) will NOT donate. And we certainly will vote NO on any future parcel taxes.

Be selfish and punish our high school kids. We can all play the selfish game here. My children will be fine because we will find a way to get what we lack outside of PUSD. That will cost money, though, so don't expect us to be generous with fundraising efforts.

btw, I too understood that the librarians would all be kept. And depending on the amount of money raised, each would get their hours increased. Oh, well, I was wrong. It does not matter because I am not donating.

My high schooler needs the 7th period more than my little one needs some librarian on site. Yet I don't see the district even attempting to raise funds (442K) for the 7th period. They completely ignored the surveys.

Posted by Maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 19, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Oh my goodness people. Our state is in a financial mess because everyone wants want they want! During tough economic times, we all have to make sacrifices. We here in P-town, we have it good. Have you been to schools in Antioch, Oakland, San Jose lately???I grew up in this town, it wasn't always so affluent but it was always a great town to grow up in as a child. Our children will survive, maybe even thrive,because they will see 'the adults' working together through difficulties.

Posted by parent
on May 19, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Posted by letsgo
on May 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

"The CCOP is showing the "Race to Nowhere" movie in an effort to get Pleasanton families to realize that our kids need to be more balanced.

By taking away the 7 period option, that balance is not possible in an academic schedule."

Could you clarify? I'm truly interested as I missed the movie, but not sure how this would affect balance.

Posted by loony
a resident of Foothill Farms
on May 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

"My understanding is that the request to have Music as an A period class (before school) in high school was denied."

That's true, but band is still offered during the regular school day, just as it was done before the 7 period day and as it is done in most schools across the country. Marching band can/should be an after(before) school activity. I would hate to see the band programs decline just because the students are getting the extra credits or grade point of the additional class.

Posted by letsgo
on May 19, 2010 at 8:22 pm

"Our state is in a financial mess because everyone wants want they want! During tough economic times, we all have to make sacrifices."

Exactly! Our community did not pass a parcel tax, which is fine because we all voted on it. But we can sit and complain now saying we need to offer this and this but the reality is THERE IS NO MORE MONEY.

Posted by Patriot
on May 19, 2010 at 9:19 pm

"Our community did not pass a parcel tax, which is fine because we all voted on it. "

We didn't all vote on it. Turn out wasn't that high.

"The selfishness of the elementary parents was outrageous. There was a parent that stood up at a board meeting to suggest that the district punished the high schools, that was her "brilliant" idea to make sure a parcel tax passed."

Posted by To parent
on May 19, 2010 at 9:32 pm

"Another clarification. I went to the board meetings. At no point did people suggest cuts to high schools rather than elementary. All that was said was that the proposed cuts to elementary were proportionally much, much higher than those to other levels and that factually elementary also gave up a lot more the previous year. I didn't hear high school parents talk much at the meetings. The bickering isn't going to help the schools get better. Donations, getting involved, creative thinking and working hard will."

You must not have been present at ALL meetings. A very selfish lady stood up and said she grew up in Livermore, did fine with limited AP classes, she was a child that suffered because of prop 13, don't let her child be the child of budget cuts blah blah. She said she went to Stanford. She said we do not need AP classes in our Pleasanton high schools because she did fine in Livermore with only one. She said her 5 year old must have this and that, to make cuts to programs in high school to gather support for a parcel tax. Yes, she did propose to punish the high schools and the audience seemed OK with the comments. Obviously, the board followed this selfish lady's advice.

I will try to find the video of that board meeting on the archives this weekend. Hopefully it has not been removed.

The comments were made by that lady, parent of a 5 and a 3 year old.

Posted by To parent
on May 19, 2010 at 9:34 pm

"I didn't hear high school parents talk much at the meetings. "

In one meeting, the music parents from high school were present and vocal. Music teachers also spoke against eliminating the 7th period. It was said, but the board ignored it.

The surveys also said it: keep the 7th period. It fell on deaf ears.

Posted by To Patriot
on May 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm

"Because one person makes a stupid remark doesn't mean that she speaks for all elementary school parents or even a majority of them."

It was made more than once and the board and audience seemed okay with it.

In fact, do you see fundraising efforts to reinstate the 7th period? NO. What you see is again all for the elementaries. It would be cheaper to raise money to reinstate the 7th period than what the CORE fundraising is trying to raise money for.

Posted by No need for seventh
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on May 19, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Embrace your kids, hug them and spend time with them. They will get into college, maybe not Stanford, but they will get into college! I am pretty sure most kids don't get into Stanford and survive. Heck! I did not go to and Ivy and I am just fine. A happy middle class critter. Teach you kids to be happy, that's the unattainable in our society, not some stupid college.

Posted by To loony
on May 19, 2010 at 9:43 pm

"That's true, but band is still offered during the regular school day, just as it was done before the 7 period day and as it is done in most schools across the country."

Most schools across the country have different setups that allow the students to both fulfill the required courses for college entrance, as well as take electives such as Music.

"Marching band can/should be an after(before) school activity."

"I would hate to see the band programs decline just because the students are getting the extra credits or grade point of the additional class."

But they will decline. Students have a hard time as it is getting all their requirements done in order to be competitive for college admission. The elimination of the 7th period puts more pressure on the students to drop electives like Music because Science, etc must be taken first. After students select the classes they MUST take, and without the 7th period, there is no room for music, it is that simple.

Posted by To "No need for seventh"
on May 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm

"Maybe the kids will be better off without a seven period day? Many kids at many schools are able to survive and thrive without it. All of the focus on being uber competitive is killing our kids anyway, perhaps we take this as an opportunity to chill out and give kids the opportunity to relax and grow in new ways? We can offer a lot as a community. Our kids will be just fine, possibly better than fine!"

If that is the philosophy, then why do you need PE specialists, Music specialists, Science specialists in elementary?

The kids who need to be allowed to play are the ones in elementary, and they are the ones getting unreasonable amount and kinds of homework.

High schoolers need to prepare for college. Those who want to relax, that is fine for them and Las Positas is there for when they decide to get serious. For the college bound kids (4 year universities, that is), it is necessary to keep the high schools competitive.

Posted by Our schools are not as competitive as you think
a resident of Canyon Creek
on May 19, 2010 at 10:06 pm

You think the kids are being prepared for college but I would argue that we are raising one of the most under prepared and unethical bunch with this quest to be competitive.
At some point the expectations in terms of what is competitive became unrealistic and kids, being kids, have figured out a way to look good on paper.
I have a high schooler and kids are always at our place. These are good kids from "good families" and I can tell you that cheating is rampant! Epidemic almost. I am amazed at the disconnect between what they kids are doing and their understanding of why they are doing it. I know kids in 5 AP classes who are there because they think they will not get into college without them. They only way they get through is by killing themselves.

Should we stop to think about these colleges and their requirements and motivations?

In PUSD we have top tier students then we call the teachers lazy and say that we are doing all the teaching. Why then do we want our kids to go on to a college with more top tier students? Will the college professors teach them or is it more of them being taught by us?

There are a LOT of options for college people. You need to think out side of that box and teach your kids to do the same.

Posted by letsgo
on May 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm

"Yes, but according to what I heard, the idea of having Music as an A period was rejected by the district."

The students can get all of their requirements in in 6 periods a day without any difficulties. There is no need for concern as actually a majority of the students in this district actually do it and go on to do great things. Our band students have been doing it as they have taken 2 periods of band and then had to take 5 periods of the other requirements which would be no different then what they are being asked to do next year (take 1 period of band and 5 additional classes). Maybe I am missing something, but I don't really see the issue with a 6 period day.

Posted by letsgo
on May 19, 2010 at 11:21 pm

"In fact, do you see fundraising efforts to reinstate the 7th period? NO"

Good point! People can designate their (CORE) money to elementary, middle or high school and very little money is coming in for high school, which shows its not a priority for many people in this comminity. If you feel different then express it with a large donation but perhaps more financially feasible is to have your child take some classes at DVC or Las Po.

Posted by To letsgo
on May 20, 2010 at 6:45 am

"Good point! People can designate their (CORE) money to elementary, middle or high school and very little money is coming in for high school, which shows its not a priority for many people in this comminity. If you feel different then express it with a large donation"

What? Your comment confuses me. The CORE money can NOT be designated to reinstate the 7th period. Why would I want to make a large donation when the money canNOT be used for the 7th period?

"but perhaps more financially feasible is to have your child take some classes at DVC or Las Po."

Yes, our children will be taking what they need outside of PUSD. That costs money and we are happy to pay for it, but don't expect us to give money to PUSD in addition to that, or to support any future parcel tax efforts.

Next school year is fine for the elementaries. Wait until the year after that, when the "concessions" no longer fund elementary programs. They will need all the help from the entire community to come up with the needed funds. Good luck with that. Selfish behavior deserves selfish responses. Every man for himself, right?

Posted by To letsgo
on May 20, 2010 at 8:05 am

"Our band students have been doing it as they have taken 2 periods of band and then had to take 5 periods of the other requirements which would be no different then what they are being asked to do next year (take 1 period of band and 5 additional classes). Maybe I am missing something, but I don't really see the issue with a 6 period day."

Only marching band students can use their music class as P.E. The rest of the Music students (jazz band, etc) cannot do that. Why do you think the Marching Band parents fought so hard to make sure Marching band counted as P.E?

"Yes, as an A period it was rejected, but they are free to practice before or after school just like any other activity. I jsut find it absurd that the HS band people here think that band should be 2 or 3 periods a day."

Maybe you do not understand what A period means. It means BEFORE school which is what is done in the middle schools. The district REJECTED that for high schools; they are saying that no, music in high school canNOT take place BEFORE school (ie, A period)

Posted by parent
on May 20, 2010 at 10:47 am

You shouldn't start a campaign to hurt elementary schools because one person said something unfortunate at a meeting. One person doesn't represent the communities views. I have a child in elementary and one to come and I agree, there should be fundraising for the 7th period in high school and would support this. But why are you picking on elementary in post after post because of the comment of one person? We're all in this together, these are the kids of our community. We're lucky to be here. We need to support the kids - all of them, things aren't going to be easy for them growing up.

Posted by Shig
on May 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

People should not be having children if they cannot afford to fund their education. Very irresponsible.

Posted by agree with parent
on May 20, 2010 at 11:05 am

Some of you need to go take a chill pill. You could've attended the meeting and stood up against that person who spoke against a 7th period for high school. Instead, you come here to whine and whine and offer no contribution to our wonderful community. Get over yourself or exercise your right to move out of here. I donated to all 3 CORE levels even though all my children are in private schools. It's all about supporting children in our community.

Posted by Shig
on May 20, 2010 at 11:12 am

Thank you! Please donate for me also. I am sitting it out.

Posted by parent
on May 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I donated double Shig, so you can consider your child covered.

Posted by Tapped out
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm

C.O.R.E. = Almost $202,500 @ elementary; Almost $75,938 = enough to fund 2 hours of tech at each site. 4 hours library @ elementary; 4.5 hours @ middle school. Which is wonderful. But schools won't have one tech or one library tech per school. As it is implied in the chart.

THE DISTRICT IS COMBINING THE MONEY BETWEEN THE MIDDLE AND ELEMENTARY LEVELS.

Therefore some techs & librarians will be laid off and remaining techs and librarians will have two schools to cover. So if you donated thinking your site would have one dedicated tech & librarian all to yourselves you are wrong. That dedicated tech & librarian will be sharing their hours between two schools each day/week.

That is what is upsetting me. Not that I donated. I wanted to donate...I feel it is my responsibility since my children go to school here. I am equally concerned with high school as well as my children are headed there in a few years. What I am upset about is the fundraising is going on and people are thinking it is going to be applied one way...but the district decides to use it differently. How are the teachers going to cope when they have a problem with technology in their classroom and cannot have the problem resolved until a few days later when the tech returns to that school? Same thing with library. Classes will have to wait to go to the library for their research project until the librarian can return the following day.

I know the economy is in the crapper, but I just don't like giving my money and having it used differently...that is all.

Posted by Anonymous
on May 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Regarding people such as the one complaining about 7th period and the person who started this thread, they just don't want to donate and will find any excuse not to. It's simple guilt projection.

Posted by LetsGoAway!
on May 20, 2010 at 4:34 pm

"I don't really see the issue with a 6 period day."

The issue is that then the kids can't take 20 AP classes and have a 4.6 when they graduate. They might have to go to a college that is not in the UC system or not an Ivy League **GASP**

A 6 period day is plenty. The latest parent complaint is now too much homework? Really? You signed the kids up for too many classes if you think they have too much homework. You want them to be prepared while at the same time you don't want them to do the extra work needed to cram the way too much information into their heads.

What is it that you really want?

Posted by Clueless
on May 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I think it's great there is no 7th period. High schoolers can use that extra time for something else.

Posted by parent
on May 20, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Posted by letsgo
on May 20, 2010 at 11:13 pm

"Maybe you do not understand what A period means. It means BEFORE school"

Posted by letsgo
on May 20, 2010 at 11:16 pm

"but the district decides to use it differently."

Please please please go to the PPIE website (as many people have very politely pointed out) and READ the dcouments. They spell it out very clearly, listing several different levels of funding and exactly what will be funded if a certain amount of money is raised.

Posted by letsgo
on May 20, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Hmmm, let's look at the funding information from the CORE program

"$45,000 to each comprehensive high school and $10,000 to continuation high school for technology support,
and $34,000 to each comprehensive high school for additional sections"

Posted by To letsgo
on May 21, 2010 at 7:40 am

"As it turns out, this money CAN be used for funding of a 7th period for certain students (the district has made a deal in case you are not aware) and if enough money is raised it can be used to fund a 7th period for all those who want it (although the chances of that are almost zero)"

What you are saying is simply NOT true.

The cost of the 7th period is 442K.

The fundraising goal for CORE for high schools is 325K.

Unless you do not know how to work with numbers, you should be able to see that with 325K you can NOT fund the 7th period, technology and libraries.

Please stop posting half truths. On another forum, there was also a person who tried to imply that with CORE we could avoid teacher layoffs... glad someone called her on her half truth that was meant to make people give, under false promises.

Posted by To letsgo
on May 21, 2010 at 7:44 am

"Apparently you are confused. A period does not mean before school. A period is school jsut at an earlier time, Talk to the kids on the swim team about "before school" then you will really know. A period is jsut an earlier start, it is the same classes with the same credit. It is not a before school activity."

I am aware of how the A period works, and I do not see why the district denied it for high schools and kept it for middle schools.

Posted by To parent
on May 21, 2010 at 7:50 am

"Are they seriously combining elementary and middle school funds? Can you prove this? I'm very supportive of CORE, but would be pretty upset if this were the case. It was very clear what our money was being used for this year on the letter we got and it certainly didn't say that money / resources were being combined between levels. Can someone who knows what is going at PPIE on let us know the facts? Thanks."

I do not know the details or if what was posted originally was accurate.

But I do know that librarians are kept in order of seniority. What the PPIE website states is the number of hours each grade level would keep (elementaries would keep so many hours of library and tech support, etc)

My guess is that instead of keeping each librarian at each school with reduced hours (say two hours per day per librarian), they may keep less librarians more hours per day. So the more "senior" librarians would keep more hours per day but get to be shared among schools. If the middle school librarian has more seniority than an elementary librarian, they would keep the middle school librarian and give her enough hours to cover both the middle school and elementary.

Tapped out: can you share the details of how the funds are getting shared between elementary and middle schools?

Posted by letsgo
on May 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

"What is the point of an 8th grader having band when that same student will not be able to have that in 9th and 10th grade?"

Posted by letsgo
on May 21, 2010 at 9:10 am

"What you are saying is simply NOT true."

Well, you beleive what you want to believe, but read the information as it comes out.

It is true that there will not be a 7th period available for all students and not for band A period. But if money is raised, there will be 7th period available for a limited number of students based on an established priority.

Posted by kerri
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 21, 2010 at 9:12 am

It appears to me, that in many ways, the CORE campaign is I Love Pleasanton Schools revisited.

Does anyone know if the district or PPIE is considering fundraising like San Ramon District does; foundations that are site specific?

Posted by Scott
on May 21, 2010 at 10:01 am

I have to say I am so tired of the finger pointing. The PUSD did this, the parents and community did that. Can we all just stop and support the schools? Do you really think that the school board would do something that was not in the best interest of the students knowingly? Come on these people are in the jobs they are for the students. If there is a program you want to save the jump in and help save it. I have done fundraisers for several programs and am getting another one ready now.

Comments like why save music in lower classes if they can't do it in high school, or we need to offer more periods in high school are the problem. Your kids do not need more classes. You are over scheduling them. Give them some time to be kids (unscheduled time). Stop trying to live through them.

If you want a program help fight for it. If you do not understand where money is coming or going get in there and learn.

Our schools are just as good as De La Salle and they pay like $14,000 a year. Our school should charge $1,000 for every student and we should thank them for offering a great education at a great price. It won't be long before all education is paid for.

Posted by To letsgo
on May 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

"But if money is raised, there will be 7th period available for a limited number of students based on an established priority."

That is even worse! Making 7th period available to SOME but not ALL students who want it? Well, make the list of privileged students known ahead of time and have THEIR parents donate towards that goal. If I gave and my child is not among the privileged, I just spent money financing someone else's child while mine was excluded.

Whose "brilliant" idea was this?

Posted by To Scott
on May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

"Your kids do not need more classes. You are over scheduling them. Give them some time to be kids (unscheduled time). Stop trying to live through them."

Who are you to say what other kids need? You focus on your kids and the rest focus on theirs.

The board did NOT listen to surveys, period. The fundraising efforts do not address what high school surveys asked for.

The ones who are overscheduled are elementary kids, in school for more than 6 hours beginning in kindergarten.

As for fundraising: give if you want. I will not give money so that people like you can go around feeling good about how you screwed up the high school students because of your PERSONAL belief of how kids should be raised and because you think you know what OTHER people's kids need or how many classes they should take. Are you by any chance a friend of that selfish lady who also said kids do not need AP classes? You sound like her.

Posted by Tapped Out
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm

To "To Parent":

"Tapped Out: Can you show how funds are getting shared between elementary and middle school."

As of 5/15 (when layoff notices have to go out) - C.O.R.E. had raised enough money to fund:

2 hours of computer tech at each elementary site.
1 hour of computer tech at each middle school site.

That would lead you to believe that each elementary school would have a computer tech on site for two hours a day and that each middle school would have a computer tech on site for 1 hour a day. Right? That is how I understood it to be when I donated my money.

But what has happened is that the District took the following equation:

9 elementary schools @ 2 hours = 18 hours a day of computer tech
3 middle schools @ 1 hour = 3 hous a day of computer tech

A total of 21 hours per day was raised by CORE for computer techs.

Okay...so the district will have 7 computer techs covering 12 schools.

That is not how the "APPLES" on the PPIE website lead you to believe. It leads me to believe that the $150 I donated at the elementary school level goes to elementary 100%. Which is doesn't...some of that goes to middle school...Understand?

So I feel that the money isn't being appropriated as it was originally intended. If the intention was to treat elementary and middle as one...then why would they have two different goals charts?

I understand the same type of formula was applied to the librarians.

This is fact...go ask your elementary or middle school computer tech or librarian.

Posted by parent
on May 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm

My daughter is in Kindergarten. She goes for 3 hours and 20 minutes a day, hardly overscheduled . . .

Posted by parent
on May 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm

To tapped out.

That sounds OK with me actually, as long as elementary gets the number of hours that we have paid for.

Posted by Maybe I am confused
on May 21, 2010 at 8:05 pm

"But what has happened is that the District took the following equation:
9 elementary schools @ 2 hours = 18 hours a day of computer tech
3 middle schools @ 1 hour = 3 hous a day of computer tech
A total of 21 hours per day was raised by CORE for computer techs.
The District has determined that the hours per day 1 computer tech job is is 3 hours (which is what is was like for this year). Divide 3 hours into the 21 hours raised and you have a total of 7 positions. Get it?"

That actually does not sound that bad. If they use 18 hours divided by 3 then that is 6 specialists for the 9 elementaries.

Then the middle schools get 1 specialist for all three middle schools, which sounds about right given the money raised so far (about 70k or so)

Isn't that the same as what they are doing?

Posted by To letsgo
on May 21, 2010 at 8:19 pm

"BAND IS NOT GOING AWAY IN HIGH SCHOOL. The elimination of the 7 period day effectively eliminates students taking two periods of bands, therfore making marching band an extra-curricular activity, not a class. There will still be band classes during the regular school day."

The class is there (Music classes). yes, but who is going to enroll? 9th and 10th graders will NOT be able to fit it into the schedule without the 7 period. That is why in middle school the A period students go before school for PE, so they can then take band during the regular day.

Freshmen students in high school have mandatory PE, and since PE is also during the regular day rather than A period as in middle school, there will be NO room for Music once the other required classes (Math, etc) are scheduled.

By the time students are able to fit Music into their schedule (11th grade), chances are they won't since most would have found a youth ensemble outside of school in order to continue their music studies during the freshman and sophomore high school years. The band will have fewer students next year than it did this year, and even fewer the year after that. Even music teachers expressed their concern for the Music program if the 7 period was eliminated.

btw, Marching Band has ALWAYS met after school. But Marching band students also take a second period of band during the school day. That is why now Marching Band COUNTS as PE although you have to take Marching Band two years to be counted as 1 year of PE. But not all Music students are part of Marching band , so those non-marching band students must still take PE (their Music class can NOT be used as PE the way Marching band can)

Posted by Just the facts
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on May 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Posted by Tapped Out
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

To "Maybe I am Confused" - What you state is correct: there is enough hours to fund 7 positions of tech at 3 hours per position. Those 7 will be rotated to all 12 schools (middle/elementary).

My bet is that middle school will eventually get more of the tech attention each week since they have laptop programs and more students.

That is not what I understood the "plan" to be...what they are doing is just fine if were presented as one lump group - elementary/middle. It was not.

I am upset that the funds were raised using one formual, but the plan put into place using a different one.

Posted by To Just the facts
on May 26, 2010 at 9:37 am

"If anyone out there is still reading this - the 7th period elimination was a negotiated item that the teacher's union and the district agreed to in the contract. It was not chosen as CORE fundraising goal because of that reason and that reason alone."

Thank you for posting this. Now "letsgo" can stop his lies and half-truths. He/she claimed above that if enough money were to be raised, the 7 period would be funded for some students. It is obviously not true, and it is not a CORE fundraising goal as you state.

Posted by To Tapped Out
on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

My neighbor was told that there would be no laptop program for his kids in high school this coming school year. I don't see why the middle schools would get more hours from the tech specialist for a program that is essentially going away.

But you are right, it is not right to lie in order to raise money. PUSD is not the only one using half-truths. Parcel taxes across the bay area promised that the tax would pay for X but did not tell people it would only be so for a year, and after that, the parcel tax money would be use for raises/step and column.

San Ramon is an example of this. My friend voted YES for the parcel tax because she thought it would keep CSR,etc. It did for the 09-10 school year only; this year they were told CSR does not have enough money, etc. Their parcel tax is essentially being used for teacher raises instead of the programs people voted the tax for.

It seems that PUSD is trying to get money through CORE at all costs. Hopefully people will see this fundraiser for what it is. If people continue to blindly donate, there is no incentive for the board to do the right thing.

Posted by Really?
on May 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm

So your half truths and misinformation are ok then? What do you think that first year of parcel tax paid for? Teacher salaries. Because you are not in agreement or understand how teachers across the US have been paid for decades, you feel obligated to say the districts are now lying? You have no idea what the reduction of 11 million in PUSD's budget has done to our schools, and from your post, you are happy to encourage more decline. Yet the schools continue to do the "right" thing, as you can see from the high performance on test scores. If this were a failing district, I might think twice, but its not, and for that I am not only thankful, I am donating to CORE.

Posted by To Really?
on May 26, 2010 at 7:22 pm

"What do you think that first year of parcel tax paid for? Teacher salaries. "

Yes, but the teachers that kept CSR! That parcel tax money was supposed to be used, for the length of the tax, for that purpose: for salaries of teachers to keep CSR intact (and other programs too).

It was NOT meant to be used for their raises/step and column.

The districts knew well that if they had advertised the parcel tax as a one year only deal, and after that the money will be used for raises but programs will no longer be funded, the tax would have FAILED.

They knew it, and I am sure you are smart enough to know it too.
Read what the parcel tax said in the different districts. Not long ago, they had an article about San Ramon parents who helped promote and pass the tax, about how upset they were to have been lied to.

No half truths on my end.

Posted by Really?
on May 26, 2010 at 9:24 pm

No, you will just believe what you want to believe to make your point.

CORE is a voluntary donation program. Your "work" at keeping people from donating is a new low for this town.

Posted by To Really?
on May 27, 2010 at 7:30 am

"Voters in Palo Alto just voted 78% to raise their long running parcel tax to over $500. Their teachers are paid the same way the rest of the state pays teachers. The same way teachers have been paid for decades. Nothing new, no cover up, no lies. Now your saying the schools should suffer more from the budget cuts because you dont understand this concept."

Yes, Palo Alto votes YES on their tax. And the reason for their district asking for an increase? Because they used their money for raises. Over there, they just throw money at the problem, and that may be why throughout California there are budget deficits all over. Pensions and automatic salary increases are out of control.

Wait and see after next year what Palo Alto does. The economy will not be better by then, certainly not California's budget issues.

Palo Alto will not be getting any more money from the state or property taxes than they did this year. Then you will hear about fundraising or increasing even more their parcel tax, or have their programs be cut or suffer somehow.

That happened to Cupertino just this year! The parcel tax they passed was not enough after just one year because the state did not give them money for raises, so this year they asked the parents to raise 3 million to make up for the deficit (created of course by teacher raises). If the parents failed to raise the money, CSR would go away. Never did they even think about going without a raise, which is what a lot of people are going through in the private sector. No, they immediately targeted programs.

Ironically, Kathleen R., a big "against G" person benefited from the parcel tax in Palo Alto as she is employed there (yes, even classified folks enjoyed the benefits of this tax)

Think what you want, but it is mentality like yours that keeps the system broken.

Throwing money at the problem is not the solution.

Posted by Really?
on May 27, 2010 at 9:01 am

At least you are making it clear you do not understand the way schools run. Yet you only believe your "opinion" is fact. I'm sure that no matter what anyone does to explain this to you, your opinion will reign as the truth to the structure of schools. "Throwing" money at schools is not a problem, especially schools that consistently show improvement and success as those in PUSD does. The only thing broken is the logic of some in this community. The nimby attitude is breaking this society.

Posted by To Really?
on May 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Refer to the following article and read the discussion, you may just learn something.

You are, like many, oblivious and ignorant about the way things work. You do not seem to understand or care, about why we are in this deep financial trouble.

Go ahead and give your money so public employees of this district can continue getting their raises, you want to be a fool go ahead. You may not understand that with step and column, even after the furlough days (unpaid vacation time off), the teachers still come out ahead.

Read on and try to understand what some of the posts are trying to say in a way that even you can understan:

Web Link

Posted by Really?
on May 28, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Interesting to hear you continue to believe posters like DCOT rather than the truth. You see, as an accountant with a daughter teaching in this district, I can ensure you the pay cut is a "real" cut to her personal income. It has been for the last three years- if you understood S&C you would know that teachers only move 50% of their entire career- these are not the yearly raises as some like to state. Although that does add to the drama that DCOT likes to instill.

Lack of COLA, frozen S&C, and increase costs in our medical benefits have cost her such a major reduction in pay, she is now working evenings. Yet for some reason she is happy to do it AND take the ignorant spread of lies propaganda from those outside of education.

The concessions the teachers made saved the district 4.5 million dollars. The cut to their personal finances has been real for years now. You can insult my understanding of how things work all you want, it is certainly clear that you only get your "facts" from the blogs. Why you feel the need to deny this truth is beyond me. Like I said earlier- great character.

Posted by Dark Corners of Town
a resident of Country Fair
on May 28, 2010 at 4:38 pm

To 'Really?' - Are there some teachers who have maxed out their column and are no longer receiving annual raises? Yes. The PUSD scattergram shows that clearly. The scattergram also shows that over 50% of the teachers will receive approx. a 3% raise this year and next. Is the average hourly pay of teachers increasing? Yes. This is the cost structure that has not changed since the PUSD/union contract was renewed for three years.
Can you help me understand what a 'frozen S&C' is?
As for helping the community understand what made up the $4.5M in 'concessions', well, a good portion was done through reduced services for the kids and layoffs. Not exactly a 'concession'. But that's for another day and another parcel tax battle.