Non-religious: A growing movement

Original post made by Curious, Del Prado, on May 12, 2010

You may or may not be aware of a growing movement around the world. It is comprised of people who have no use for religion, or any religion for that matter. We identify ourselves as "non-religious", not atheist nor agnostic since those are labels bestowed upon us by the followers of religion, we are "non-religious". We are silent observers of what organized religion has done to the human society. We see the harm, violence, and sheer cruelty forced upon society through the ages by organized religion including the Crusades, the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials, Northern Ireland, and Israel-Palestine. We have taken responsibility for ourselves, have placed faith in our friends, family, and community and do not rely on an invisible cloud being to guide our hand and excuse our actions. We chuckle when we pass one of the mega churches on Sunday morning and see all the religious folk huddled in their dark sanctuaries learning how to denigrate gays, women, minorities, or any other group you deem beneath them. That statement may seem especially harsh, but given some of the recent legislation championed by religious group, the observation rings true for me. Wouldn't they rather be out in the sunshine, improving themselves and those around them, rather than feeding that anger and bile inside them?

All I hear in their messages is hate and intolerance. Why is there so much anger in them? Do they think it might be that they are having a hard time rationalizing the years of religious indoctrination with their own sense of responsibility, fairness, and peace?

They may want to come join the "non-religious" folk. We are happy, productive, raise wonderful families, contribute to our communities, and have our Sunday mornings free to sleep in, go for a long run, eat some pancakes, play with the dog, or just drink in the wonder of it all.

Posted by Hmm
on May 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Interesting venomous non-hating :) style. Here are some more happy people you can talk to: Web Link

Posted by Curious
a resident of Del Prado
on May 12, 2010 at 11:27 am

So you label me as mentally ill because I chose to point out the anger and hate I see exemplified everyday by religious groups? Even here locally in Pleasanton, we have religious groups protesting, insulting, and screaming at children and families in front of Tully's on weekend evenings. Throw in a little gay bashing with Prop 8, some minority bashing with immigration laws, and anti-choice measures being formented in various states, I'm left with a not very favorable opinion of organized religion. I guess if that makes me mentally ill, so be it. I'll take that over being a hypocrite.

For every Habitat for Humanity type program sponsored by organized religion, there are two pediphile priests or 3 adulturous pastors. For every St. Anthony's Soup Kitchen, there are three bombings of innocent children in the Middle East. Simple math seems to indicate the world would be much better off without much of what organized religion and its adherents have wrought upon it.

Posted by Hmm
on May 12, 2010 at 11:41 am

Didn't label you as mentally ill. I'm no doctor.

I just think these folks can service your angry yet happy (self proclaimed) issues:
Web Link

Posted by Ty
on May 12, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I agree. It's the Christian zealot Tea Party types that are ruining Pleasanton's image.

Posted by Hmm
on May 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Glad you can agree. Perhaps the two of you can meet at Tully's for a playdate and talk about all you have in common.

Posted by Ty-curious
on May 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

You guys do seem to have some issues. I also consider myself "non-religious" but not a religi-phobe. I attend church services several times a year out of respect to relatives but haven't witnessed anything like what you describe. Where have you witnessed these messages...or are you basing this entirely on what you read in your high school history book?

Posted by Ty-curious
on May 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Oh man, Ty and Curious, where did you two go? I know, you must be back on DailyKos looking for more idiotic statements to regurgitate.

Posted by Scott Curtis
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on May 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm

My family and I consider ourselves secular humanists - rather than a "non" something else.

Secular - in that we do not believe in mysticism or spiritualism.

Humanists - that human beings can make informed choices for themselves, and those choices have effects on others.

But, those same informed humans can make the 'choice' to believe in horoscopes, God, Allah, Buddah, that with their lucky rabbit's foot they'll win the lottery, etc.

My wife and I have lived in Pleasanton for 20+ years, raised two children, and just wish they could afford to move here to raise our grandchildren. Some of my neighbors worship in their own way, but most on Sundays are mowing their lawns, or taking the kids to activities.

Posted by Qwerty
on May 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm

There are many incorrect comments in previous posts:

1) prop 8 is not about "gay bashing". Go back and read the documents and become informed.

2) Religious people should not be labeled a certain way nor should "atheists", "agnostics" or "non religious people" be categorized. It is unfair to make sweeping statements about any such group. People should not assume all religious people are a certain way just because a vocal group happens to do a certain thing, or because someone at one time was burning people at the stake. anyone who chooses to say religious people are X, Y or Z just because of some previous events or behavior by an unrelated group - well those people are worse than anything they are accusing others of being

Posted by SteveP
a resident of Parkside
on May 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

SteveP is a registered user.

I could support the premise of the non-believers if they could only explain how we all got here. We were not created out of nothing---some entity had to create the first spark of life.
I'd be all for eliminating the Muslim religion, but beyond that, other religions generally provide more good than harm, in spite of your selective criticisms.

Posted by maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 13, 2010 at 4:33 pm

"Curious"... I think you would encourage alot more people to join you in your "non-religious" endeavor if you were more positive and not filled with hatred towards religion.

We all have to find our way in this world to spread love, be love, create love.....I've found mine. Hope you find your's :)

Posted by Jared
a resident of Ruby Hill
on May 13, 2010 at 6:24 pm

1. When you understand why you dislike other gods, you will understand why I dislike yours as well.

2. Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

Posted by Lisa
on May 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm

"some entity had to create the first spark of life" Nobody knows how it all began. What created the spark of life that you believe in?

Posted by Ruth
on May 14, 2010 at 12:02 am

It's ironic that religious people cut down trees, then dump cement on the earth, build their church, temple or whatever, spray pesticides all around and then drive their polluting vehicles to the building where they celebrate the god that created the trees. Her Holiness weeps at the irony.

Posted by Clueless
on May 14, 2010 at 12:16 am

"Nobody knows how it all began."???

It was a spontaneous event that produced the first RNA molecule and even reproducible in the lab. I learned that in my first year in college. Perhaps you people should go back to school.

Posted by SteveP
a resident of Parkside
on May 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

SteveP is a registered user.

Clueless, you really live up to your name. Spontaneous event? Out of absolutely nothing?
That sounds like a leap of faith by 'you people'. I bet you 'believe' in global warming, too. That's the new religion based on concensus of 'science' using spontaneous selective factoids.

Posted by Clueless
on May 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

Yes, SteveP, spontaneous indeed. If you have the right environment, and given enough time, RNA will form spontaneously. It was reproduced many times in the lab so it's reproducible...not a myth. Go back to school and keep learning.

Posted by SteveP
a resident of Parkside
on May 14, 2010 at 10:22 am

SteveP is a registered user.

who or what set up that environment you mentioned? What is in that environment and how did it get there?
We can do this all day.
Sorry for all the questions; neither of my 2 college degrees focused on scientific theories. And, I can't take this on faith.

Posted by june
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on May 14, 2010 at 5:03 pm

To Steve P, you dont believe in spontaneous RNA reproduction which occurs in a laboratory, but you do believe in a mythical garden, giant serpent, and that a woman is created from the rib bond of a man and that she is the root of all original sin? Just asking about what degree to which you question spontaneous creation.

Posted by On my own
on May 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I like and try to live by the Golden Rule....it just seems to make sense. That's pretty much it, for me. From what I've obseved, all the religions sort of hate equally. Each feeling superior over the others. (actually, observing from the outside, I thnk Jews are the most tolerant and forgiving)...propbably in the higher order of humankind, is the most logical, thus believable.

Much that I studied as a child, I think was started to explain the unexplainable to the illiterate people of several thousand years ago.
I must get busy, life is for the living here on earth.