About the CORE fundraising

Original post made by Concerned on May 10, 2010

This is something to think about: they are asking for 150 dollars per student, and PUSD is counting on that money for librarians and tech support.

That is wrong in my opinion. Why? I was talking to my neighbor, and they said their expenses this year for school related items went up considerably. They had been up until now, giving the money every time they were asked: from registration to countless fundraisers from their 3 schools. They can no longer afford to keep that up. If they donate to CORE, it would be 450 dollars for their family, more than twice what the parcel tax would have been.

My neighbor is a generous person but even they have now started to look at things the way they really are. What is the money for? To finance items that could have been saved had they put a stop to so many expenses that we can no longer afford. My neighbor has not gotten a raise for two years, yet they would have to give money so teachers and other district staff can continue to get raises? My neighbor's spouse for a while saw reduced pay, yet they are being asked for money so someone else (a public employee) can keep the same hours and pay?

The Palo Alto parcel tax passed, but we were wondering how long that would last before they announce cuts to programs over there. Think about Cupertino, with a parcel tax and all they threatened to go up to 30 students in the primary grades. The community has raised more than a million, but again, how long will this keep Cupertino from even more severe cuts?

The reality is: no matter how much money is raised or parcel tax are implemented, the school districts will find a way to spend it all and cry that it was not enough, that they need more. Palo Alto is a perfect example of that.

California is bankrupt because of the public sector. They refuse to see that times have changed and we cannot afford to keep all their benefits and pensions. We all saw our 401Ks go down, we deal with it, why should public employees get to keep their pensions intact when it was their union who speculated in the market as well?

PUSD should not rely on CORE or on any money from the community. They need to stop the raises, freeze step and column, they need to understand that the recession is far from over, and that we are not their ATM machine.

Posted by I Support the CORE Campaign, a resident of Valley Trails
on May 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

All of the information regarding the teacher concessions (translating to less hours and pay and thereby negating your argument), a breakdown of the budget, the programs being supported by CORE, and any other questions you might have are available through the PPIE website and the PUSD website.
The fact that it would be 450 for your neighbor's family is because they have three kids. Three kids are being educated in the system. If they had one child it would be 150. It's simple math. More kids cost more money, in any scenario. I have three kids and I'm happy to pay the money.
The fact that it is more than the parcel tax - well, that IS a damn shame. But Pleasanton narrowly missed the 2/3 majority to pass the tax. So now there is a movement through PPIE to raise money from the schools from the families who are actually in the schools. How can you complain about that, too?
You can speculate about what MIGHT happen in other communities with parcel taxes, but it doesn't apply to Pleasanton, since the parcel tax didn't even pass. We're schooling our kids in Pleasanton, and we're trying to find the best ways to soften the state cuts for the students on our own district.

Posted by Clueless, a resident of Heritage Oaks
on May 10, 2010 at 9:28 am

CORE money comes from donation. If you don't want to donate, then don't. What's it to you if others do? When will you people begin to see that fundings is short not so much because schools are spending lavishly but it's because the state reduced our school's budget. When you start reducing state fundings, money needs to come from somewhere else. Learn you facts before you speak so you don't sound like an idiot.

Posted by What about, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I work and live in Pleasanton. There are many, meaning about 10 I can think of right now, people working at my work who have open enrolled their children from Dublin or Livermore into Pleasanton Schools. I was surprised by the common practice.

Does anyone know how many kids in total open enroll to Pleasanton Schools?
My concern is that those parents wouldn't have been subject to a parcel tax and probably aren't as aware of the CORE program, because in general they go home to and socialize with their home community.

Posted by Dark Corners of Town, a resident of Country Fair
on May 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm

To 'Clueless' - "When you start reducing state fundings, money needs to come from somewhere else."
Or you need to reduce expenses.

Posted by Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm

And why do you think the state is reducing the funding? It seems to me that you have to learn some facts.

California does not have money because it cannot afford its pension obligations and it employs too many in the public sector. Other states are not in as bad a shape as California. Unless California fixes the root cause, every year we will have the same problem because it is not sustainable to continue to pay and pay for pensions and still have money for other areas.

As for Pleasanton: yes, the concessions are paying for what measure G would have paid, but on top of that, the district also made some other cuts to the upper grades.

The CORE fundraising does not benefit the upper grades. My neighbor has 2 kids in high school and one in middle school. They do not need a librarian, what they need and could use is not even being talked about in terms of fundraising. And my neighbor is convinced that if a parcel tax were to be proposed, it would be to fund what is currently being covered by the concessions. And after this coming school year, there will be either a campaign for a parcel tax or fundraising, but only to cover what the lower grades are getting right now through concessions.

Why am I against others giving? I am not, what I do not like is the constant harassment of those who do not want to give. My neighbor receives calls, emails, there is a lot of pressure to give, even if it is for a cause that some don't agree with and their kids don't benefit from

Posted by Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 1:53 pm

"My neighbor has 2 kids in high school and one in middle school. "

To clarify my statement: my neighbor will have two kids in high school and one in middle school beginning this fall.

Posted by Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm

"There are many, meaning about 10 I can think of right now, people working at my work who have open enrolled their children from Dublin or Livermore into Pleasanton Schools"

I do not know the numbers, but that is a common practice in PUSD. There are many out of district students in the schools, and that is starting to be a problem in the high schools which are quite overcrowded.

PUSD benefits from the additional money/ADA, but I do not know if the money they receive per each of these out of district students is sufficient to educate them.

It is also common for PUSD teachers to enroll their children in PUSD schools even if they live in areas such as Livermore.

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Just say it, Concerned: you don't want to give because you don't have kids in school. Jeez. No pressure on you, OK?

Posted by a reader, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm

"My concern is that those parents wouldn't have been subject to a parcel tax "

Posted by a reader, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm

"Or you need to reduce expenses."

They are doing that. There is a point when you finally have to say enough to all the cuts if you want to maintain our school quality. If we keep cutting year after year, are schools are sure to suffer.

Posted by Che, a resident of Livermore
on May 10, 2010 at 9:18 pm

If you have kids you need to support them otherwise do not have kids if you do not have nor care to give you money in support of them. Many in this town have no children in school nor have they but pay taxes for your kids and also pay into a school bond for your kids. Pay up or shutup or don't have kids if you cannot support them or want to complain about it.

Posted by a reader, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2010 at 9:54 pm

To Che,

"don't have kids if you cannot support them or want to complain about it."

How polite of you.

Maybe you need to scroll up and read. This is about voluntary giving. If you don't feel like giving, then don't.

And who said anything about not supporting kids? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? You seem completely lost.

Posted by To a reader, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 11, 2010 at 7:36 am

"If they live in Livermore or Dublin, then they pay parcel taxes in those districts."

And how does that help Pleasanton? These students live outside of Pleasanton, their parents pay parcel taxes in other districts, and that is exactly the concern: the ADA money PUSD gets is not enought to educate these out of district students. So what if they pay for parcel taxes in their communities? Do you understand what the concern is?

Posted by artlover, a resident of Birdland
on May 11, 2010 at 8:29 am

Again- we're back to he said, she said. Let's face it, when you see how schools, Wall Street, federal government, state government, waste the money and the middle class suffers- you get bitter. When a limo arrived at Walnut Grove to pick up some grade schoolers for a birthday party a few years ago- that was when I knew Rome had fallen. How can you even get to that kind of thinking by the parents?
So, the seeds have been planted a long time ago, and it's not going to correct itself for a looooong time. It's only going to get worse people- don't throw money into this fire! We all need a major attitude adjustment as to what we can expect in life. Creative thinking, group effort, and MORE work on everyone's part is our future- not more money from the middle class. Today we have socialism for the rich and poor and us poor suckers in the middle class get to pay for it all.

Posted by Another PUSD Resident, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 11, 2010 at 8:39 am

What is so sad about this entire budget scenario is the MILLIONS the District spent and continues to spend on the Hearst school fiasco. Last I heard it was around $5 to $6 million in lawsuits lost, lawyer fees, etc....Seems like that would have closed the budget gap. We trusted our elected Board and they mis-handled the money they had to spend and are now trying to re-close that gap. The bigger issue here is the lack of trust in how our school board utilizeds the funds that exist. I beleive if that trust was their that the parcel tax or the core funding would probably fall into place...Looking forward to the next election....

Posted by Practical, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

It's pretty simple. The state is bankrupt and have cut school funding to the bare bones. Very simple.

So to preserve the existing school services, the money cut -- has to come from somewhere.

I'd gladly donate money directly to the school, since I know it is then spent there.

why are house prices higher in Pleasanton, than the surrounding areas of dublin and Livermore --- it's because of the schools.

If the schools go down in academics, and the test scores go down, my property value goes down considerably. what's $500/year compared to my property value going down by $100,000's (to match Livermore or Dublin housing values)?

So the economic argument clearly indicates that if the school needs more money to replace that cut by the state --- it only makes sense to help --- so that our housing values don't lower to the point of Livermore or Dublin.

Posted by jace, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on May 11, 2010 at 8:41 am

Here's the deal.....schools, charities, sports, and people on the street can ask for all the money they want all day long. Bottom line, the public can only give what they can afford to give. And that comment above about "don't have kids unless you can support them" HA! Give me a break. We pay a dollar day campaign when registering kids, the fundraiser packets that come home from every school, then the donation of the parcel tax that "you would have had to pay anyway" and now the CORE campaign. Really, enough really is enough. How about just a quick adjustment of the "parcels" we're all living on. When my neighbors pay the same amount of property taxes that we do, then I'll stop complaining.

Posted by Johnny, a resident of Del Prado
on May 11, 2010 at 9:17 am

Jace,

I believe if you have read these blogs for any period of time you can see that people have just plan had enough with the "taking" of their money by others for the use of others. Everyone can make an impassioned plea for some agenda but at the end of the day there is only so much money. If people feel they want to spend their money on schools or whatever that is their choice but one groups choice should not be imposed on others who do not feel the same way. People do pay money for schools and in this area we have an additional school bond we pay also. So if you want to spend your money fine but if not that should be fine as well.

Posted by Rick, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

It's not the schools that are better, it's the students. So cut more expenses, meaning the salaries of all administrators and teachers. When will you all get it, we can't keep giving more and more and more.

Posted by jace, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on May 11, 2010 at 11:12 am

Johnny, I think we're saying the same thing! Everyone should put their money where they want to, not where they're forced to.

Posted by parent, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

NO parcel tax.

Public pensions are bankrupting the state. First the school districts will fall, then the cities,last the state if they don't renegotiate these contracts.

TAx payers have been hit hard enough with layoffs and pay cuts. can't go to the well anymore public unions.

Make the teacher and spending cuts and education won't be affected in my opinion at the levels they need to balance the budget.

Posted by a reader, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Parent,

CORE fundraising isn't a tax. It is voluntary. If you don't want to give, then don't. What are you taking about?

Posted by Maybe there is hope, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 12, 2010 at 10:54 am

The new superintendent comes from Fremont, where for a while (when the district was more desirable), they had problems with out of district students getting in.

Maybe she can address the problem of so many out of district students being allowed in the already overcrowded Pleasanton high schools. People should send their kids to the schools they belong to, why should we in Pleasanton continue to finance the education of students who are not even residents of our city? "A reader" suggests that these peoople pay parcel taxes in their communities, but that does not help Pleasanton.

Pleasanton residents should be the only ones allowed to attend Pleasanton schools.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 12, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Maybe there is hope, There are laws that govern inter-district transfers. Most are prefaced with, "if there is space available."

So if a student is released from their home district and there is space in the district they wish to attend, they generally can AND the majority of the tax dollars follow them to the receiving district. (Example: Leave Livermore, child and money come to Pleasanton)

There also is the agreement that allows employees of a district to bring their children to that district if they aren't residents. Again, there has to be space and the funding follows. Also, they generally can't choose a school--there has to be space.

And there are new laws taking effect that will allow students at underperforming schools to move to other districts. Not sure about the funding; haven't read the law.

So you have to think about what that means. You could lose valuable employees; you lose the funding. That said, I'm not for overcrowded schools and wouldn't want to hit a tipping point that creates a need for facilities, because that kind of funding won't come from the districts the students just left.

Posted by Maybe there is hope, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 13, 2010 at 9:55 am

Kathleen:

I understand there are rules, but as you said, it is based on space being available.

One of my friends has a kid who could not enroll in the class needed in high school this past year, there was no room. Later on, they found out that an out of district students was in that class.

High schools are overcrowded, sections will be fewer this next year. Pleasanton needs to look after its residents first. If there is room, then they can accomodate others, but the residents of Pleasanton who pay to live here must have first priority.

Posted by Nicole D., a resident of Fairlands Elementary School
on May 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

Teacher-made Video running for grand-prize in a world-wide video contest:

(Yes, same teacher, but different video and different contest as the Pleasanton video which sadly lost by a very narrow margin.)

I thought you might be interested in my story. I am here to spread some hope in honor of our children and in support of our teachers, parents, and volunteers who work tirelessly to make our schools a better place, regardless of the financial crisis going on in our Pleasanton schools and in the state of California.

I am extremely proud to say that I've made a short video which I entered in the Democracy Video Challenge contest on YouTube.  Out of approximately 900 entries, mine was chosen as a finalist.  In all, there are 18 finalists, but I am competing against only two others, working to earn the grand prize from "the Americas."  Now I must rally YouTube voters to vote for my video in order to win. More important than winning the prize, I am here to spread my message:

My video, titled, "Democracy is a child," serves as a reminder that children are our most precious resource, and that they are dependent upon us for protection of their rights. They are our hope for the future, and I believe the best way to promote democracy, world peace, and the fulfillment of humankind's potential, is to protect, nurture, and invest in our youth. As a teacher, mother, and a true idealist at heart, I hope to make a positive impact on the world, both locally and globally. Through my video, I hope to inspire others to do the same.

If you think you would like to help me, please pass this on.
Here are the details:

Voters must be logged on to YouTube and can vote once a day until June 15th, or it doesn't count.
To vote, they must go to the Democracy Video Challenge website, and find my video, "Democracy is a child." (in the gallery)
Click on the green thumbs up under my video.

Here's the link to the voting site.
Web Link

Here's the link to my channel, where also see my video, and read my bio.
Web Link

Nicole D.

3rd Grade Teacher - Fairlands

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.