Palo Alto, Menlo Park school parcel taxes pass by wide margin

Original post made by Jill, Carlton Oaks, on May 5, 2010

Web Link

"In preliminary election results Tuesday night, 79.36 percent of voters approved Palo Alto's Measure A, and 76.2 percent approved Menlo Park's Measure C, easily meeting the two-thirds vote parcel taxes require to pass."

Palo Alto: $589 annual tax for six years
Menlo Park: $753 annual tax for seven years

Time to step up, Pleasanton.

Posted by Same nonsense over there
on May 5, 2010 at 8:57 am

That's because over there they just throw money at the problem.

To think that Kathleen R. benefits from another parcel tax in another community where she is employed, and yet here in her home town, she opposed the same and was quite vocal agains the parcel tax. Before she again writes the whys of her position, let me remind her that in Palo Alto there is a lot of waste as well, they just ignore it and go the easy way: throw money at the problem.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 5, 2010 at 10:06 am

Stacey is a registered user.

And Ruegsegger's employment in Palo Alto is a reason to support a parcel tax here how?

Posted by Mary
on May 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

I don't use my property as an ATM card. I don't intend to let the State, City, or School District consider it one either.

There will be changes in all public services in the next few years. This is the beginning, not the end. Don't be an enabler. It doesn't solve anything.

Posted by Ryan U.
on May 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

Why were Palo Alto and Menlo Park able to pass their parcel tax while Pleasanton failed?

The answer is very simple. Those towns don't have a bunch of selfish, conservative, Tea Party-loving, anti-tax zealots to vote down the tax like we do in Pleasanton. They don't have a bunch of Fox News zombies who want to turn their back on all forms of government, including public education. Of course, many people in this community want to use the teachers and unions as scapegoats because they are too cheap and myopic to help fund schools that badly need the help. You get what you pay for in life, and when you cheap out on public schools, you can expect them to degrade. So Pleasanton, will we step to the plate and pass the parcel tax or will hope that Tea Party pixie dust will magically fund our schools?

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 5, 2010 at 1:44 pm

To understand my position on Measure G versus what occurred in Palo Alto, you have to look at the differences in how both districts are financially managed, what programs are in place, the levels of communication, accountability, and transparency with the public, and suspend belief that the state caused ALL of PUSD's problems, to say nothing of having a conversation about personal philosophies.  One would also have to believe I was singlehandedly able to convince/force a large number of voters to change their minds about their vote.  Otherwise, to quote Paula Cole, you're just "skating the surface of oceanic depths."

I simply presented a position and the information to back that position.  A position, by the way, that I indicated I would change with the right management and accountability in place.  One step is in place with the new superintendent chosen; next is the election for new board members.  I'm happy to talk about supporting a specific parcel tax in the future.

Posted by Anonymous
on May 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Ryan U: are you kidding? The Tea Party doesn't turn their backs on ALL government programs: They want their social security and medicare benefits!! Have you heard them calling for a reduction in social security and medicare taxes? Not a peep!

Support public schools, though? Let the children suffer! Blame it all on the teachers! The Tea Partiers want to be able to buy condos on golf courses. Who are these children and teachers standing in their way?

The Tea Party is bad for America. The payouts for social security and medicare are going to bankrupt this country far worse than public education.

Posted by Ryan U.
on May 5, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger,

Thanks for doing your part to help ruin Pleasanton schools. I wonder what it would take to convince you and Bridget Melson to move to another community. I'd gladly pay the moving expenses for the sake of our public schools....and don't let the tea bags hit you on the way out.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 5, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Ryan,

It is much simpler even than that! Palo Alto and Menlo Park didn't have Casey as a superintendent.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Ryan, see what I wrote above. Don't know Bridget; literally refused to be part of the tea bag movement. Give me a call if you want to discuss this; don't believe we know each other. I'm not willing to make or post assumptions about what you stand for.

Posted by Really?
on May 5, 2010 at 5:52 pm

....and if the district would just do this, I would support them.....yeah right! I love how the list of what needs to happen for Kathleen to support this school district keeps changing. Nice try Kathleen- your support is not coming any time in the future and Im sure we can continue to count on your constant effort at convincing this community that our schools are a failure!

I love talking with teachers from your district, the real story certainly is different from the perfect picture you like to paint. They are very interested in the dedication you have shown here to discredit PUSD!

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 5, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Really, I have not changed what I said I felt was important. Look it up; it's certainly out here. I donated more than the parcel tax would have been directly to a school--need the bank statement? I don't believe our schools are a failure, far from it. I do not hold that same esteem for the governance team, however. All that has been very clear.

I don't think I've made any statement that PAUSD is perfect--nothing is. I don't change my philosophies when I cross the Bay and that is no secret to those I work with. Again this has been about very specific actions and an interest in accountability. We can disagree on those specifics, but you do not get to rewrite my context to suit your rant. I am happy to talk anyone in either place; I find I have an opportunity to learn during a reasoned discussion.

Posted by Big Poppa
a resident of Del Prado
on May 5, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Move to Palo Alto if you want to pay a parcal tax.

Posted by Truth, Justice, and The American Race
on May 5, 2010 at 9:09 pm

"Move to Palo Alto if you want to pay a parcal tax. "

You said it Big Pappa. If you want the kind of thing go to Palo Alto or some other country or what ever. Pleasanton is for real Americans and that means now new taxes.

Posted by Brian
a resident of Gatewood
on May 6, 2010 at 9:59 am

The reason why Pleasanton property values have only declined 10 or 15% from their highs is because of the good schools. Take away the good schools and you can take away another 10 or 15% of your property value.

Posted by Thanks for the laughs
a resident of Dublin
on May 6, 2010 at 10:02 am

You people crack me up

Posted by No parcel tax!
on May 6, 2010 at 1:50 pm

"For those of you who are against spending your hard earned money to fund schools, think about this. If PUSD goes down hill, so will your property values. If $500/yr will prevent your property value from decreasing by $100,000 isn't that a good investement? This should be a no brainer."

PUSD already made the decision to destroy its high schools. A parcel tax would be most likely, used for the same stuff that was funded this year through concessions and the cancellation of valuable high school programs: elementary music, pe, etc.

Remember: very few people buy a house with a good elementary and a so-so high school.

A parcel tax is too late right now. PUSD decided to hurt the high schools on behalf of the elementaries. 442K from the 7th period in high school would not have been hard to come up with, but the CORE fundraiser does not even addess it, and 442K is nothing compared to the 930K for elementary science/music/pe

I can see what Kathleen is saying: Palo Alto would have never sacrificed its high schools because of their elementaries. That is why parcel taxes over there, as well as fundraising, are successful. People trust the administration and the board, unlike here in PUSD

Posted by Sal
on May 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm

No parcel tax!,

"PUSD already made the decision to destroy its high schools."

Its attitudes like yours that will ruin Pleasanton schools. Do you really think PUSD - which ranks among the best districts in the state – is already destroyed? Give me a break! You just want a scapegoat (like blaming teachers and unions) so you can get out of paying a tax. According to you, we should just turn our backs on our public schools and stop funding them. Gee, that will solve the problem! Unlike you, some of us residents care about the future of our children. I guess you have buy a new SUV, so why spend the money for our public schools. Please move to AZ with the rest of your Tea Party friends.

Posted by Truth, Justice, and The American Race
on May 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Real Americans know that taxes never solve any problem. Let them have their taxes in Palo Alto or wherever. We stand up for the American race here.

Posted by To Truth, Justice, and blah blah blah
a resident of Bridle Creek
on May 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Instead of saying "We stand up for the American race here", you should have said "We stand up for the WHITE race here". Lets be real.