Pleasanton senior runs to help two people injured in a crash outside Amador Valley High School

Original post made on Apr 28, 2010

A 17-year-old senior at Amador Valley High School leaped into action when a small truck crashed into a fence outside the school on April 22.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 6:44 AM

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:01 am

What a great story to hear...

Posted by nancy s
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

I agree, it is a great story...however the headline was a little misleading, I thought it was a SENIOR CITIZEN...this is the Ptown Weekly, so I don't think the word Pleasanton needed to be in the headline..."High School Senior runs to help..."

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Del Prado
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:32 am

I hope the school isn't liable for the students injuries.
If the student was my child... I may have wished the teacher stopped him.

Posted by letsgo
on Apr 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

nancy s - me too!

Pleasanton Parent - and just how could the teacher have stopped him? You can say stop, but just imagine if the teacher grabbed him.

and I would say yes, an idiot attorney will convince the family that the district is responsible and a stupid judge will agree with it because it happened during school hours and the district will end up paying a few hundred thousand and increased insurance fees.

But hey, the kid helped, it doesn't seem their was much immediate danger, so I'm not really sure what he accomplished, but its better than pointing and laughing I guess.

Posted by Tanya
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Great job Steven! I wish more kids would have a take charge attitude like yours.

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Let's forward a copy of this story to Pierce Hunter.

Posted by resident
on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Nice work young man! We are proud of you!

Posted by jim jarrett
a resident of Amador Estates
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Good job young man. You are a hero in our eyes.

Posted by Kevin Heller
a resident of Civic Square
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:12 am

Good job, kid.
I can understand fears of lawsuits if something had happened to him, but come on, folks: it's time to stop the litigation madness! The alternative to people helping others in emergencies is just watching someone in trouble without helping. That's not the kind of world I want my kid growing up in: "I would help you, but I am worried about the legal ramifications?" Come on!

Posted by KC
a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:52 am

finally, nice comments about a high school kid doing something courageous! i work at AVHS and see nice kids do nice things every day. i especially love it when a high school boy holds open a door for me, which happens frequently at Amador. See parents, most of you ARE raising your kids into respectable, caring human beings. There are GENTLEMEN and young ladies at AVHS!

Posted by Michelle
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:57 am

I couldn't agree more Kevin, and thank you to the young man. I can't help but wonder, if someone you knew and loved was involved in an accident, wouldn't you be grateful for someone to bravely come forward and help?

Posted by mooseturd
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

Nice job.

Posted by Nathan
a resident of Val Vista
on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

Steve did a great job. It was probably hard to resist jumping into action when you think the car might catch on fire. As someone who works with fire and rescue, I would like to encourage others not to do what Steve did. Most cars don't catch on fire, in fact less than 1/2 of 1 % and they explode very, very rarely. The chances a driver or passenger broke their neck is much more probable. You and the occupants are better off if you provide them with encouragement. Let them know that everything is okay and the paramedics are on their way. Ask the occupants not to move their necks or bodies. If there are children in the car in car seats. Keep them in their car seats. This protects their c-spine and helps reduce the chance of injury or paralysis.

Maybe Steve's future is in the field of emergency rescue as a paramedic/firefighter. :)

Posted by What the Heck
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

Did I really see someone who said that they hoped that the teacher would stop their kid from saving someone? That person is certainly raising a pack of do-nothing wimps...whatever happened to teaching our kids to do the right thing at the right time. Help us all if that is the way our society is going. No good Samaritans?! I don't want a world like that.

Posted by courage
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I can't believe that parent who said they wished the teacher would stop the hero young man! I completely agree with "What The Heck"! and to that (wimpy) parent, I hope when you get in trouble, there is someone to help you, and you will remeber those silly words you wrote!

Posted by Anonymous
a resident of Amador Estates
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:04 am

To Nathan:

I think you should have worded your comments differently. What you said is a slap in the face to a courageous effort on the part of the teen who helped out. Instead of saying "I would like to encourage people not to do what Steve did", you could have said: "Be very careful when responding in these situations because special care is required if an accident victim has a broken neck, etc."

Although you did have some positive things to say about Steve in the first part of your post, we really could do without the other statement mentioned above.