PPIE Boycotts Castlewood CC?

Original post made by Dark Corners of Town, Country Fair, on Apr 7, 2010

PPIE has moved their annual luncheon from Castlewood to the Hilton eight days before the event. Angela Ramirez Holmes (Democrat Central Committee member and Union sympathizer) writes on PPIE's public Facebook page (Web Link)
"I am so pleased to hear that you are changing venues!!!! I appreciate you not crossing the line of locked out workers. Now I can attend!"
Is PPIE a Union pawn? Did PPIE cave in to union pressure?

Posted by Bowler
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:37 am

Crossing a picket line is more than just bad form and ill mannered. It is an insult to those who make their livelihood by toil. Regardless of whether you support management's side or the labor side, it would have been a mean gesture not to have moved.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 7, 2010 at 9:24 am

Stacey is a registered user.

Well, that's the way you support the workers if you don't agree with the lockout instead of publishing phone numbers and encouraging organized stalking.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:54 am

I have a gut feeling that this will eventually become a win-win situation.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Posted by Wow
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm

PPIE should not become involved in this.

Many of us are already skeptical about donating to PPIE even though we have done it in the past, why? Because of the unions and bad district management. This reinforces my view that PPIE chooses to ignore the problem and thinks that throwing money at the problem is the solution. Why would they become involved at all in the castlewood deal?

Just curious: how does PPIE pay for a lunch at the Hilton? Hopefully the money I donated as of last year is not used for that!

Posted by Joe
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Having a public school district fundraiser at an elitist, private, members-only Country Club where it costs a fortune to become a member was a bad move in the first place.

Glad they moved it somewhere else. And I liked the City Council resolution, Torrico's letter, Haggerty's letter, etc.

Posted by Nurse Shark
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Is changing a meeting place a boycott? Has PPIE released a statement urging people to cease patronizing Castlewood? Have they announced formal support for the union?

Thanks, Dark Corners, but please keep your demagoguery to yourself. You're not Bill O'Reilly.

...are you?

Posted by Dark Corners of Town
a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm

To 'Nurse Shark' -
Possibly, No, and No.
Can you answer the question about why PPIE decided to change the venue from Castlewood CC to the Hilton? Can anyone? PPIE has held this annual event at Castlewood in the past. Why change this year?

Posted by a reader
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:37 pm

"Because of the ... bad district management"

Where do you get this stuff? You present no evidence, only empty statements. Maybe it was that extra box of pencils the district bought that went unused. Such inefficiency. Encourage people not to give to the schools or volunteer their time. That will show them.

"thinks that throwing money at the problem is the solution."

What an absurd, ridiculous remark to make. They are a fund raising organization. This is what their web site says:

"Our goal is to raise funds for enhancing educational excellence for students in the Pleasanton Unified School District."

Web Link

Posted by a reader
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:39 pm

"Why change this year?"

Maybe they didn't need the added distraction of dealing with the picket line.

Posted by Nurse Shark
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:08 pm

"Can you answer the question about why PPIE decided to change the venue from Castlewood CC to the Hilton? Can anyone?"

No, I can't, and it's a fair question. Maybe they don't want to deal with the labor dispute (with or without taking a side as an organization); maybe someone's niece works at the Hilton and they want to say hi; maybe the orange blossoms smell good at the Hilton.

But unless you ask them, that's as far as one can reasonably go.

If you want to go further UNreasonably, you can imagine an answer (such as a boycott), then assume that the imagined reason is somehow fact, then rail against that "fact" loudly and in public.

Posted by Really?
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Nurse Shark- I think you have just perfectly summed up all of DCOT's posts in the schools and kids section of the forums.

Name calling this organization is sad, seeing as there are countless volunteers that work hard year round to raise money for education in this community.

Posted by Pete
on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:01 pm

A neutral site is appropriate for fundraising. Circumstances change...what if Cholo said, "now I can attend" you would just show up for curiosity sake. Parents/supporters have a right to change venue.

Posted by Dark Corners of Town
a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:04 pm

To 'Nurse Shark' - It is PPIE that is responsible for its actions and can choose to explain them or not. I would put 'caved to union pressure' up against your 'orange blossoms' any day. Angela Ramirez-Holmes' response to the venue change is quite telling in addition to her network and past work. Contributors to PPIE may want to know if PPIE is strong enough to be apolitical or unbiased, or is a weak pawn of the unions. Or not.

Posted by Nurse Shark
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:12 pm

"I would put 'caved to union pressure' up against your 'orange blossoms' any day."

Fine. Then I'm going to assume you post here because you hate children.

Now I choose to believe that assumption is a fact.

DCOT, why do you hate children so? People, you need to be aware of DCOT's anti-child agenda!

Posted by Volunteer
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:05 am

Thank you to the dedicated volunteers who are organizing this event. With many, many hours of planning and hard work, to have to change location on such short notice is very challenging. I wish you the best of luck in sponsoring this event.

Posted by Arroyo
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

The negotiating parties need to resolve the issue - together - not by enlisting support from my City Council. If the union members want to hold out for their demands, that is their prerogative and the end result may be unemployment. If Castlewood CC wants to replace the workers, endure the retraining of staff, and the inconvenience to their members, that is their prerogative. This disagreement does not involve the city.

When you refuse to cross a picket line - warranted, or not - you are in fact supporting the union's position. If you do cross the picket line, you appear to be supporting management. Changing the venue for this dinner may have been the "neutral" thing to do.

I still suspect the union is using this small membership bargaining unit as pawns to gain concessions from management at Castlewood. The "settlement" can then be used as the basis for upcoming battles for larger bargaining units entering negotiations with hotels and restaurants. (Just my theory.)

Posted by Observer
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

So teacher union leaders manipulated PPIE luncheon arrangers. Thank you Jennifer Hosterman for inserting politics and starting 'choosing up sides' to something that was NO business of the council and NO business of PPIE. Council's meddling empowered the little luncheon minds. I think less of PPIE now and wouldn't attend if you paid me, although I have in the past.
I'm SICK of all the meddling, arrogant, I KNOW better than you, BLIND union putty people. WHY can't people just mind their own business and stop 'directing' and manipulating everyone. Just what the schools need...unions continue to 'run the show' ! excuse me, that's 'ruin the show' !! Sorry, you lose !

Posted by Observer
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:47 am

They would have done better staying at Castlewood. Considering all the destruction the unions have done to our state and schools, I would have gone for the joy of crossing a picket line. Like I said, you couldn't pay me to attend now. Brilliant ! Sheep following idiots.

Posted by Observer, observe thyself
a resident of Castlewood
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:57 am

"So teacher union leaders manipulated PPIE luncheon arrangers."

Huh? Wha?!?!

This post reads like Dark Corners of Town on crack. Settle down and take off your tinfoil hat--the unions are not a secret cabal pulling the strings of every organization in town. In fact, based on your post, I'm not even sure you know what a union does.

Time for your meds yet?

Posted by Observer
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:59 am

Volunteer, wrong!.... they don't 'HAVE' to change locations !! BUT, I guess the union putty people LOVE to support those mean rich ' BIG CORPORATIONS' ! Nothing hypocritical about that. Right.. that's clear, principled thinking !! oh pleezz
Where's a time machine....take me back where people choose to
M Y O B !!! Maybe it's time for me and the council to look into private membership dues collecting,part of big corporation "Club Sport" to see HOW they're running their membership's operation ! Now THAT IS in the city limits... surely we could justify meddling in their process..maybe I should be picketing them !

Posted by Observer, observe yourself
a resident of Castlewood
on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

Ok, someone get the tranquilizer darts...

Posted by Castlewood Guest
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:32 am

Castlewood has become very competitive as a venue for organizations' events. I've attend 2 this year and have a couple more on the calendar. (I am not a member of Castlewood)

Castlewood is a lovely location to hold an event and they are very welcoming of everyone.

The Hilton has outpriced themselves to several groups that I belong to, as well as the city of Pleasanton venues.

Posted by OK
on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:48 am

Revenue down. Employee Costs up.

PPIE out. More revenue down.

This helps employees how?

Layoffs?

Posted by Dark Corners of Town
a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 9, 2010 at 8:57 am

To 'Really?' - The Catholic Church has countless year-long volunteers. That does not mean one has to condone the actions of its leaders.

Posted by Anthony
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:00 am

I appreciate a forum such as this to chat about our community but whether you are for Unions or against them the bottomline with Castelwood as I see it and as I have been reading it is that the workers are victims of rising costs of Health Care in this Country. There is NO family whether they live here in this community or elsewhere that can afford to pay 65% of there check towards Health Care. If Castlewood is losing money then I can understand trying to make get this concession from their workers, but if they are not, then Castelwood is wrong and should be ashamed. My disbelief in all of this is Castlewood not willing to come to the table and negotiate in good faith, that is sad and its members should be embarrassed, I certainly am!

Posted by Nurse Shark
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:13 am

"To 'Nurse Shark' - I planned to stay quiet during the PPIE fundraising. People should have a choice to determine their method and level of contribution to support the education of our children. PPIE's venue/political move and your ad hominem attack has me re-considering........"

So what you're saying is that when you treat your assumptions as fact (i.e. PPIE's "boycott") it's cool. Better than that--it's righteous!

But when someone demonstrates how wrong that type of thinking is by applying it to you, it's an attack?

What's more, in response, you threaten to disrupt education fundraising? How is that in any way appropriate/emotionally mature?

You really need to take a step back and evaluate your behavior. Seriously.

Posted by Really?
on Apr 9, 2010 at 9:25 am

Moving venues for a fundraiser vs. child abuse?

Hmmm... not sure what your point is besides drumming up controversy that isn't there.

You have never remained quiet about this voluntary program- you were the one to post this thread, remember?! Have you spoken to anyone at PPIE? Did you ask them why they moved? Or are you doing exactly what Nurse Shark said..... "assume that the imagined reason is somehow fact, then rail against that "fact" loudly and in public."