A different type of education

Original post made on Mar 26, 2010

Though people might think being home schooled eventually gets isolating, Amy, a Pleasanton tenth-grader, and her sister Rebecca, a sixth-grader, do volunteer work in town and compete on the swim team so that they can meet friends, stay connected to local people, and be a part of the community since they don't attend public school and don't see people during the day.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 26, 2010, 12:00 AM

Posted by Nan, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:06 am

Wow. Great to see such happy, productive girls, who are obviously thriving and learning an awful lot in their home school setting. I admire their discipline and diligence, as well as their mom's commitment to taking the lead role in their education. And great job writing the article, Katie!!

Posted by Curious, a resident of Foothill High School
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:12 am

Will the girls be earning regular high school diplomas?
I have wondered if home-schooled teens get diplomas if they are not enrolled in accredited schools, either public or private.

Posted by Bill, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:27 am

Simply a terrific article! Kudos to these parents and kids who homeschool. There are advantageous alternatives to "government" schools.

One big advantage is not being a captive audience who are "brainwashed" by the left-leaning administrators and teachers.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm

home schooling is more than a full time job... it works for some families

billy goat...give it a rest

Posted by not a fan, a resident of West of Foothill
on Mar 26, 2010 at 12:44 pm

"Brainwashing" can also occur at home! Some parents do an admirable job of homeschooling, but depending on the situation, there can also be disadvantages to such a program. Pleasanton schools are excellent; I'm not sure why a parent would choose to home school, unless for religious reasons or because their children were having some problems in the regular school setting.

Posted by Sandy Piderit, a resident of Mohr Park
on Mar 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I'm not sure how homeschooling works here after 8th grade; the pages on the PUSD website only address K-8 homeschooling. Parents use materials approved by the district that develop students' understanding along the curricular guidelines provided by the state. Parents and students meet with a district teacher approximately every two weeks. More information is available from the district: Web Link

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I know a few home-school families in Pleasanton. What I have heard from them is they feel they can give a better education than the public schools. The public school classroom has to move at a pace that everybody can follow. At home, the can go to the speed of their own child and not be dragged down by other students. I have found all the home-schooled kids I have met to be more intelligent academically than their counterparts in the public schools.

However, the downside is these kids have not learned as much social skills or teamwork. I believe an important part of growing up is how to interact with others, even those you would not typically pick as your friends. That is a life skill that is needed as an adult.

Posted by Colette, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:13 pm

If you don't get grades when you are home schooled in high school, do colleges only look at SAT and ACT scores? How do they handle not having a GPA?

Posted by amanda, a resident of Charter Oaks
on Mar 28, 2010 at 8:31 am

Homeschooling is weird. Period.

Posted by Retiree, a resident of Stoneridge
on Mar 28, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Home schooling through an accredited school district,(such as PUSD) supervised by a credentialed teacher, is different from a parent-taught home school. When offered through the school district, students can earn credits toward graduation. In the parent-taught home school, parents must file a private school affadavit and operate as a private school. The parent can choose their own texts and materials, but the students will not earn a regular high school diploma. This is my understanding. Although there are some real success stories, I don't think this is the best option for most children.

Posted by reasonable, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

While I've seen this work for some families, and some of these kids are really great, I've also seen kids who are very socially awkward, usually appearing very childlike and dependent even at ages 13-14. I've also seen it be used for brainwashing -- by not exposing these kids to other ideas or people with other lifestyles or religious views parents attempt to create rigid, unquestioning adults. If it works, we have a less tolerant and more combative society. If it doesn't work, they just end up with rebellious youth who are not equipped to operate in a social setting.

Posted by Credential Question, a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I'm just curious-if we are making teachers take tests each year to teach (I have 3 credentials and took 14 different tests to receive them), how do parents who homeschool prove they are qualified? Not that a tests proves someone can teach, but what qualifications must a parent have?

I've had numerous students who came to me after a few years in homeschool. I have not had one that was up to grade level.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 29, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Anecdotal information is hard to quantify. The proof's in the pudding, I'd say, so it's best to judge based on results.
How do home-schooled kids perform in comparison to kids who went through the public or private systems?
What percentages go on to universities, and what is the level of satisfaction 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years down the road? Does home schooling get kids where they want to go?

If home schooling produces similar statistics, then no worries, mate. If not, then it's time to take a look at what they are doing right or where they are going wrong.

Posted by give me a break, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Ok,reasonable? You think homeschooled kids are childlike? What? Because they aren't having sex? Or discussing what birth control to use? Helloooo...13 or 14 IS still a child.Let them be kids, for as long as possible.we all have to be adults with adult resposnsibilities soon enough. Give me a break

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Credential Question,

How is that different from teachers who get public school students who are below grade level?

I think Mike put it best, anecdotal information is hard to quantify.

Posted by Credential Question, a resident of Golden Eagle
on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Stacey-
My point was that out of all the kids I've taught who were home-schooled the year before, not one has been up to grade level. To me that says a lot homeschool.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 30, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

I thought your point was about credentials.

Your point is fair. I have to wonder if your experience though is the result of just not being exposed to home-schooled students who were at or above grade level so they saw no need to enter your class. These at/above grade students may not be in the majority of home-schoolers. Again, hard to quantify anecdotal information. Has there been any study done on this?

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.