Don't fix that dishwasher yet...

Original post made by Mumbo on Mar 22, 2010

Our dishes have been coming out with a thick film on them. Before I had it serviced I called the Pleasanton Water District. They confirmed that the problem was with the water and not the dishwasher.
------------
DATE: Tuesday, March 16, 2010
TO: Customers of Zone 7
FROM: Zone7 water

This is to notify all customers of Zone 7 that the plan to restart the Del Valle Water Treatment facility has been postponed. We plan to startup the week of April 5th. While Del Valle is offline, production will be supplied by the Patterson Pass Water Treatment Plant and the Mocho Demineralization plant. The Ground Water Wells will be run as needed. Please note new status of distribution control.

Distribution System Control:

WHO: All Customers served by Zone 7

WHAT: Del Valle Treatment Facility will shut down
------------

I've found in the past that after the treatment plant comes back online the problems goes away. I've asked them to post these notices on their webpage or the Pleasanton twitter so customers don't waste money on unnecessary repairs.

M

Posted by Miguel, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:25 am

Help ... I accidentally drank some Pleasanton water the other day ... my doctor said not to worry, the rust will decontaminate when I reach the age of 189 ... P.S. I thought a little humor might lighten up the world a little!!! PSS ... yes I actually drank a sip of Pleasanton water ... ughhhh!!!!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Hire Cholo to fix your machines! I'm selling water purifying screens to place over you hose
and all you have to do is tie it on with natural deer sinew!

tee hee hee, tee hee hee...

Posted by Fred, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Put a bowl of white vinegar in your dishwasher when you do a load. It will remove the white film from your dishes.

Posted by And?, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Does the same advice apply to the drinking water and one's insides as well? What is the correct proportion of vinegar to water for that purpose?

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 22, 2010 at 10:34 pm

you'll like it: 8 quarts of vinegar to 1 cup of luke warm water...

Posted by Fried, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:30 pm

To And?:

What would work best for you would probably be to move elsewhere where the water is better.

Posted by Lee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:27 am

I have another solution to the white film. Get a product called "Glass Magic". It works with your detergent to get rid of the white film. And don't drink unfiltered water from the tap right now!

Posted by P-town Dad, a resident of Amador Estates
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:34 am

Wow thanks for the heads-up. I just mentioned to my wife this morning that our glasses came out of the dishwasher with a film and grit on them. I was worried it was going to be a costly repair or a project to clean out the food waste grinder in my dishwasher.

I recall the same experience last year...glasses looking dirty and then finding a discussion on the Pleasanton Weekly Town Square. Thanks for posting the info!

Posted by End Crud, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:38 am

What would work best is shipping all the enviornmental idiots out of the country with an illegal alien under each arm, and a swift kick in the a** to rice farmers. This problem is brough on by:
1) Some farmers in the Central Valley growing crops such as rice which require huge amounts of water.
2) The never ending water raids by Southern California, fueled in part by the never-ending supply of illegal aliens.
3) The rapidly growing population of California, fueled significantly by illegal aliens.
4) The seemingly endless supply of enviornmental idiots that have been able to shut off most pumping of water from the delta, rather than just fixing the core problems like the crazy practices of growing rice in California, stopping the raids by SoCal on NorCal's water, and ending the onslaught illegal aliens.
5) The seemingly endless supply of enviornmental idiots that have been able to stop construction of water storage reservoirs.
6) Electing complete loons to the California legislature, due in no small part to the endless supply of illegal aliens.

If you are tired of crud in your water, quit electing left-wing loons to our state and federal government, which just might choke off the clout of the environmental idiots and curtail the seemingly endless supply of illegal aliens.

Posted by P-town Dad, a resident of Amador Estates
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:57 am

Hey everyone, I just tasted the tap water today. It's not bad if you don't mind chewing it!

Posted by Michelcreek, a resident of Val Vista
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

Mumbo, thanks for the heads-up!

Posted by Patricia, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

Lee, where can you get the Glass Magic around here? I read about this product a couple weeks ago, and have looked at Safeway and Walmart with no luck.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:14 am

We stopped using the dishwasher in 1975 and the water was better then than it is now. Wash by hand and rinse with bottled water...costly, for sure, but you won't get sick or use paper plates and plastic.

Posted by Gloria, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I have found using 1/3 cup of 20 Mule team Borex along with dishwasher soap works just great at getting the glasses and dishes clean. Gloria

Posted by What about crud on the car paint?, a resident of Danville
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm

My car on the driveway gets overspray from the irrigation.
It makes huge tough white spots on the car, that don't come off.
How can I remove this crud?

Any help appreciated!

Posted by Tango, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Be happy with the water you have. don't be so picky . Be glad you don't live in a third world country. I have drank Pleasanton water for 34 years and I am healthy and strong. I call it may minneral cocktail or chewable water. It adds bulk to your diet.

Posted by Crud Fighter, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm

"It makes huge tough white spots on the car, that don't come off. How can I remove this crud?"

Try a chisel.

Those water spots are actually pretty tough. If you have a nice car, and are willing to do the work, polish or a "clay bar" would do the trick. I like clay bars because they remove the water spots and grit that stick into the surface of the paint without scratching the surface. Clay bars are available at auto parts stores or possibly WalMart. You would need to apply wax afterwards. It is not difficult but will take you an hour or so to do a complete car.

Posted by SteveP, a resident of Parkside
on Mar 24, 2010 at 9:20 am

SteveP is a registered user.

For the spots on your car: Get an empty quart size spray bottle. Add about an half cup of white vinegar and fill the rest with bottled water. Spray it on the spots, let it sit for about a minutes then wash your car with soap and water and ry it immediately.
Of course, you'll have to wax your car afterwards.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 24, 2010 at 11:18 am

Hire an 'Illegal" to polish your care.

the above formula is for the birds...

Posted by Lee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

Patricia: I found it at Draeger's in Danville. Or you can order it online from Amazon. It works!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.