Our Country Depends on Your Eureka Moment

Original post made by Pleasanton Mom, Birdland, on Feb 6, 2010

Article from AmericanThinker.com.

When you don't know what you stand for, you'll fall for anything.

January 15, 2010

Eureka, I Am a Conservative!

By Harold Witkov

For the longest time, average Americans were in a political stupor. But not anymore. In the past year, across this great nation of ours, an awakening has started. Individual Americans, by the droves, are experiencing their own political eureka moments and transforming into conservatives.

The famous Greek mathematician of antiquity Archimedes was once requested to determine if a solid gold wreath was indeed solid gold. According to legend, Archimedes, knowing he was not permitted to damage the wreath in any way, was at a loss. However, upon entering a bathtub and noting that the water level rose in accordance to his body mass, Archimedes deduced that he could perform a similar experiment comparing water level variations between the wreath in question and any solid gold material of the same weight. Upon realizing he had found the solution he was so desperately seeking, in what is often referred to as Archimedes' eureka moment of discovery, Archimedes forgot himself and ran home naked through the streets, bellowing, "Eureka! Eureka!" (I've found it! I've found it!)

In certain Eastern religious circles, it is believed that sometimes one must discover who he is by first discovering who he is not. I have no idea if there is anything to this school of thought, but when it comes to the world of politics, I do believe there are times when one must discover where he stands politically by first recognizing what he stands against.

Now that Barack Obama and the Democrats have taken over the presidency and both Houses, more and more Americans are starting to gag from the stench of unfettered liberalism. Horrified by out-of-control spending, a socialist agenda, and weak foreign policy, a growing number of outraged Americans have been doing some major political soul-searching.

Intuitively, they sense America has dangerously changed course, and a growing sea of citizens are now on the same page and thinking the same thoughts:

I am against the federal redistribution of wealth.

I am against entitlement politics.

I am against American czars.

I am against apology tours that denigrate the greatness of our country.

I am against tax-and-spend politics.

I am against government takeovers.

I am against amnesty citizenship for those who have entered our country illegally.

I am against the out-of-control printing of money.

I am against legislation designed to do away with free speech (Fairness Doctrine).

I am against big government.

I am against trillion-dollar government stimulus package slush funds.

I am against treating our allies like enemies and our enemies like friends.

I am against politicians who do not let us drill for oil.

I am against politicians who look the other way while Iran and North Korea develop nuclear weapons.

I am against government-run health care.

I am against health care bills that provide abortion funding.

I am against backroom deals by politicians that circumvent transparency and the Constitution.

I am against trillion-dollar deficits.

I am against high taxes.

I am against treating all people to the identical security scrutiny in airports.

I am against bills that provide special exemptions for legislators.

I am against bills that provide special privileges to certain states.

I am against those who would stifle an honest global warming debate.

I am against the federal funding of corrupt organizations like ACORN.

I am against "Miranda rights" for foreign terrorists.

I am against confessed 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed getting a civilian trial in NY.

I am against cap-and-trade legislation and taxing carbon footprints.

I am against the closing of GITMO and the bringing of terrorists to American soil.

I am against letting the U.N. tell us how to live.

I am against a president who does not believe in American exceptionalism.

Should I go on? Is thirty enough? The list need not end.

As Americans watch how -- idea by idea and bill by bill -- Barack Obama and the Democrats are dismantling our nation through their radical liberal left agenda, more and more are realizing:

Not only am I against what Barack Obama is doing to this country, but I stand for the opposite of what he, Pelosi, and Reid stand for.

This is the point in time that these Americans start investigating the opposite of liberalism. They start formulating their own list of what they stand for:

I am for low taxes.

I am for small government.

I am for a free-market system.

I am for the Constitution.

I am for the Separation of Powers.

I am for fiscal responsibility.

I am for government accountability.

I am for supporting our allies and confronting the tyrants of the world.

I am for states' rights.

I am for a strong military.

Should I go on? This list need not end either.

While all this is taking place, these thinking Americans start switching from watching NBC, CBS, ABC, and CNN to watching FOX News. They watch Cavuto, Beck, and Hannity. They start listening to Rush Limbaugh and conservative talk radio. They read Mark Levin and Sarah Palin. Now open to invigorated conservative ideas, they reinvestigate the American story. They recall how many times the United States rescued the world from tyranny. They dust off the old economics textbook and remember the lessons about free-market systems and laissez-faire. They spend a buck, buy a copy of the constitution, and start appreciating the sacrifices and insights of the Founding Fathers. They come to grips with living concepts like individual liberty, and they embrace the Bill of Rights. Then it happens: A metamorphosis takes place:

Eureka, I am a conservative!

If this has happened to you, do not be shy; you are not alone. Let your non-conservative friends, be they liberals or independents, know that you have had your political eureka moment and are now a conservative. Then get them started. Provide them with a list of what you are against concerning the present administration, followed by what you believe in...or just make a copy of this article and hand it to them.

Just warn them not to read it while they are taking a bath.

Posted by Janna
a resident of Dublin
on Feb 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Eureka! Conservatives are crazy!

"American exceptionalism?" Is that somehow believing that you, as an American, are superior to others? If that's the case, I'm not for that either. How arrogant!

Does this also mean you believe in preemptive war? "I am for supporting our allies and confronting the tyrants of the world." How's that working out for us so far?

I could go on too, but I don't have that kind of time for talking points. Got any original thoughts you want to share?

Posted by Jeff
on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Thank you, Pleasanton Mom, for posting this. This list is much needed, especially for those who have not been paying attention to politics, until now since Obama and his Admin are pushing America and its freedoms and free-enterprise system to the brink.

(I think people like Janna above are a lost cause, so don't lose sleep over her comments since she just doesn't 'get it.' She should go live in a socialist or communist country to then 'wake up' to the politics that she supports.)

Posted by Another Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:59 am

Trust me, this article is not so profound that it should be reposted after the PW already shut down the first thread.
You're so very indignant about the direction of America under Obama, and your tea party buddies have a convention during which one of the speakers says that Obama was elected by people who couldn't spell VOTE or say it in English. Sorry - we have no desire to return to "your" America.
Web Link
P.S. Teleprompter = BAD
Crib notes on hand = A-O.K.!

Posted by Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Another Pleasanton Mom,

There is a huge difference between a guy who cannot even speak to a 6th Grade Class without full teleprompters, and an executive who uses a couple of notes. Any executive will have a couple of notes. A couple of notes is nowhere near the same as a teleprompter.

I'm not defending the tea party guy who said that Obama voters couldn't spell vote, of course that is rediculous. But for sure, millions did not even Google Obama and find out that he was raised by Marxists, mentored by a Communist, friends with radicals and America-haters, indoctrinated in Cloward-Piven Strategy and Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals, and taught Saul Alinksy to ACORN when he was their lead attorney. All of that is not becoming of an American President.

Conservatism is the antidote to Marxism. The country knows it, Massachusetts is proof. I'm hearing Democrats everyday saying they'll never vote Democrat again. They get it.

One of my favorite authors on American Thinker is Robin of Berkeley. She's a Psychotherapist and "recovering liberal" in Berkeley. She has written many articles about her transition from liberalism to conservatism. I have learned a lot from her. Hopefully this link brings up all her articles on American Thinker.

Web Link

Posted by Another Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm

That's what you come back with? The whole "sixth grade class" rumor has already been dispelled.
Guess you missed his meeting with the GOP week before last, where he took open questions, answered candidly, and - um - didn't use a teleprompter. Like they said on SNL, it was like the part in Indiana Jones when that guy comes after Indy with a sword and Indy just shoots him.
Liberalism is not a disease for people to recover from. As I said before, just because someone has a different political viewpoint than you, that doesn't make them crazy. You are escalating it to ridiculous levels to the point where functional and productive discourse cannot even take place. Your repetition of this alarmist and misleading rhetoric is nothing but harmful.

Posted by Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Here are the photos taken by the Associated Press of Obama's speech (Race to the Top education program during a visit to Graham Rd. Elementary School in Falls Church, Virginia January 19, 2010) to 6th graders using his teleprompters. Photo #174 and #179 clearly shows the teleprompter.

Web Link

Posted by Another Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

He's not speaking to the students in those pictures. In picture 179, which you pointed out, the key word in the caption is AFTER. He is speaking to the media, AFTER speaking to the students. It is a different setup, if not an entirely different room. It is not atypical to use a teleprompter to assist with prepared remarks addressing the media.

Posted by Another Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

P.S. Did you see his meeting with the G.O.P.? Probably not, because as I understand it, Fox News cut away after the first half hour. I'm shocked.

Posted by SteveP
a resident of Parkside
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

SteveP is a registered user.

To another Ptown mom: The only reason obama met with the Republican's he's vilified for years, is that they won the Mass. senate race and he's feeling uneasy that people are waking up to his radical agenda. It's not because he suddenly figured out that his campaign promises of being post-partisan were just lies and he's been called out on it.

I did appreciate your humorous post citing SNL as a source for political insight. Between their troop and Jon Stewart, the MSM really provide some intelligent, serious political reporting. You should continue to look to them for answers...it makes you look all the more credible.

Regarding liberalism as a disease, the first step to recover is admitting your problem, so there may still be hope for you. Good luck going towards the light..........

Posted by Another Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

To SteveP.,
Accusations of vilification from someone who so heartily vilifies the President are pretty rich. He met with the GOP not because he is uneasy about the exposure of a nonexistent radical agenda, but to help clear the misinformation that people like you are so eagerly consuming and regurgitating, and he didn't back down to them one bit.
Neither SNL nor Jon Stewart are a mainstream news source. You know that, don't you? Don't you? I don't look to them for answers - I look to them for comedy - and the humorous content I cited was very, VERY funny! So don't worry about me looking to them for answers, I know where to find real news, thanks.
I would consider your tone to be much more indicative of a disease than my political beliefs. Try working with the truth and inserting less contempt in your dialogue. It will make you seem a little more credible yourself.

Posted by Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Another Pleasanton Mom,

Liberalism has caused you to behave in an unfriendly, passive-aggressive and angry manner.

Liberalism is a lie, and it ultimately fails because it can't stand in the light of day. The attempted government take-over of our healthcare system has been marketed with deception and lies. But the healthcare bill is unraveling because the truth has been exposed. Even the liberal New York Times finally published an article about the healthcare lies.

The massive job-killing Cap & Trade legislation that will "necessarily skyrocket" (Obama's words) our electricity rates is based on fraudulent science by left-wing organizations that receive billions in government grant (tax-payer) money. Bush never accepted the global warming hoax, he protected us from it's fraudulent crushing taxes. Global warming is now unraveling as the truth has finally been exposed.

I've never paid attention to politics in my life, but the lies and deception of Obama have been so monumental and so insulting that it has snapped me out of my political stupor, along with our entire nation - hence the nationwide Tea Party movement. As a mom, this is the first time in my life I have felt fear for my country, and especially for my children's future. I've spent the past year learning about who and what Obama is, and what liberalism really is.

Democrats are waking up everyday and seeing the truth too. I hear from them with my own ears on radio talk shows everyday. And they are so happy, joyful, thankful and grateful to have found the truth. They say how liberated they feel. One called himself a "Born Again Patriot". God Bless these people.

If you can put aside your ego, and seek after the truth, there is hope for you and our country. Our country and our children are so much more important than our egos. I have never wanted to shame anyone. The whole entire country was lied to, deceived, tricked!!! I don't want to blame or shame anyone. I just want Americans to see the truth before elections in November - because my children's future depends on it. It's the most important election of our lives. It's the fight for Freedom vs. Tyranny.

Here's one of Robin of Berkeley's articles that may help.

Web Link

God Bless you, and God Bless our beautiful country.

Posted by Janna
a resident of Dublin
on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Pleasanton Mom,

You are sooooo full of it. I don't believe anything you write about people seeing the light. Anyone like that didn't have the strength of their convictions in the first place. Your "truth" is a lie and you are unable to see that. If Bush did such great things for us, why are we in this condition? Revisionist history is lame.

They've got you so confused that you don't even realize they are using you. The only two important parties in our country are the haves and have-nots (thank you W. for that phrase). If you are not in the owner class, you are in the owned class. Where do you fall?

You should really be worried about fascism, not tyranny. That next election you are so looking forward to will surely be sponsored by an assortment of corporations all trying to change the laws to benefit them, not the workers. You should think about that.

Posted by Another Pleasanton Mom
on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Pleasanton Mom, thank you for so eloquently defining the term "holier than thou."