Celebrating 10 years of the Pleasanton Weekly

Original post made on Jan 29, 2010

It's hard to believe it's a new decade. It's even more difficult for the staff of the Pleasanton Weekly to fathom that 10 years ago, this newspaper was just setting down roots here in this picturesque town we all call home.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, January 29, 2010, 7:41 AM

Posted by Jon Burchett, a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2010 at 8:11 am

Congrats to Gina and team. Can't believe it has been 10 yrs.

Cheers my friends-

JB

Posted by Anne Anderson, a resident of Castlewood
on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

Thanks for bringing Pleasanton a weekly paper. Here's to many more years of the Pleasanton Weekly!!

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:44 am

@ GS - Wow, are you really this racist, homophobic, and misogynistic or is this just a desparate cry for attention?

Posted by Greg Thome, a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

Congratulations on the Anniversary! You have added Character to the Community as well as been a service to Characters of the Community.

Posted by Gary Alt, a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:53 am

Congratulations PW! It's my favorite paper to read and I look forward to Friday evenings reading about musings in P-Town. Thanks Jeb for bringing all of your expertise from the Trib to little Pleasanton!

Posted by Ngo Loon, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:00 am

Congratulations on serving the people of Pleasanton for 10 years. May you continue to stay in business.

P.S. - On that staying in business part -- newspapers are going bankrupt at an accelerating pace, their left-wing biased coverage being a primary reason. You may want to move you coverage more toward the center. I realize Jeb is from Chicago, a left-wing-loon breeding ground, but you don't want the Pleasanton Weekly to go the same was as the Tribune (or for that matter all the left-wing fish wrappers in the Bay Area).

Posted by Pleasanton Resident, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

My thanks to the staff for bringing us the Pleasanton Weekly!

Posted by Claudette McDermott, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Congrats! I appreciate having a Local Paper and while your focus changes now and then to surrounding cities, without you we would NOT have much of a voice at all. Missed all the celebrations last night even though I had you marked on my calendar.... Juggling too much these days :)

Happy you are still going strong! Keep up the good work and continue to grow with the needs of our Pleasant little city Pleasanton. ****Would love to see an Art & Education Center Fold Out like the Independent Paper has in Livermore**** When the FireHouse Art Center opens you may find it a big draw for your paper*****

Posted by Cheryl Boughey, a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Although we do not live in Pleasanton any longer, we enjoy reading the Weekly online and keeping up with all of the things about Pleasanton that we loved so much for many years. Keep up the good work on this great publication!

Posted by Amazed, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Gung Slinger - Gay's are ok but "they get a little pushy"? As a fellow woman, environmentalist, anti-war pacifest who voted for Obama, I am embarrassed that we are in the same "club". I'm all for people believing in what they want and speaking out for what they care about, but do us all a favor = stop reading and commenting on the Pleasanton Weekly. If you don't like it and what is represents...change the station!

Posted by Gunslinger, a resident of Danville
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm

The Palo Alto paper was not the first in the country to offer news online. Am I reading this wrong?

Posted by Gunslinger, a resident of Danville
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:19 am

Ok, maybe it was :)

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:36 am

I just posted this on one of the education topics. My reason for posting it here is, why aren't we seeing this kind of reporting from PW? It is great to have a weekly paper; I enjoy finding out about where we live. I'd also like to see some reporting about what we are facing in this community. Nice is, well, nice. But I will continue to read many other papers to get other important information.

Here are those examples: Are we paying the piper" Elected officials must educate themselves about pensions: Web Link Unfunded benefits throw cities and states into a massive $3 trillion hole: Web Link

These are just examples of issues Pleasanton also faces. I don't want this thread to tackle K-12 education one more time, but would be interested to know whether others would like the paper to stay as it is or for it to tackle more sensitive issues.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:04 am

Stacey is a registered user.

Kathleen,

Those types of articles are contrary to the "community journalism" style of the PW. Don't get me wrong, I like the PW, but with what's been going on in the world of the dailies, there's a growing niche market for that other kind of news. The Independent tends to fill a little bit.

Posted by Tracy, a resident of Danville
on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:08 am

Hello Pleasanton Weekly readers - I was talking to my brother who lives in Pleasanton (Hi Bro!) and he was telling me about someone from Danville who has been commenting in your area named gunslinger. We know him very well (he used to be "Rick") on the danville weekly and many of us have learned to ignore his comments as not worthy of our attention - and they are frequently removed due to racist comments/profanity/threats he makes to others. Sorry you have to deal with him also. Be assured he does not represent the majority opinion or flavor of our community.

To: Curious - yes, I have come to believe that this is this person's true beliefs and personality. He fancies himself the leader of some sort of movement and often threatens actions which never occur. Try not to take him too seriously or devote too much time to him or he will keep bothering you. Wish we had been smart enough to figure that out early on.

Sorry to take you away from your thread!

Posted by Kathleen, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Feb 1, 2010 at 7:21 am

Kathleen is a registered user.

When a thread is shut down to comments from registered users only, it would be helpful if an editor would at least indicate why. Thanks! Kathleen Ruegsegger

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

and my friend here will have the kibble."
By Tom Cushing | 12 comments | 1,203 views

Job growth is driving housing prices

Sentinels of Freedom Newsletter

When those covering the news become the news
By Gina Channell-Allen | 0 comments | 99 views