Nerf-toting assasins all over Pleasanton

Original post made by Dennis C, Birdland, on Jan 24, 2010

There are a large number of toy-weapon-carrying (single shot nerf guns) teenagers in town, as a large portion of Amador Valley HS is participating in an Assasins game.

I am told there are over 200 two-person teams participating, and I am seeing these would-be killers hiding behind vehicles and bushes since Friday.

So when you get a call from your neighbors about suspicious activity near your homes (if you have teens in the area), please look carefully and respond with caution before pulling out the larger caliber home defense.

I have been told by my spy that many participants have already been eliminated this weekend, but this will not be over for quite a while.

This is not sanctioned by the school (which is off limits for all killing), just kids having fun, so folks, please don't over react to their game.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Hmm....I'm going to have to start carrying my own Nerf gun......imagine some highschoolers surprise when a parent takes him or her out. Never see it coming.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Ha ha....a parent's involvement in this game would probably render it "uncool" and no longer any fun.

Posted by Pleasanton Mom
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Ha ha! The parents "proper" role in this game is that of Intelligence Gatherer, and Attempt Thwarter. I was instructed to deny all knowledge of a "Joey" living at this address, should a potential assassin inquire! But Joe was "eliminated" this morning as he walked unafraid onto the rugby field, out-witted by a two-girl assassin team. He never saw them coming.

Posted by nmm
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 24, 2010 at 9:54 pm

They had this game when I was a kid. There were strict rules of when someone could be 'killed'. Basicallly it turned everyone who really was into the game into hermits.

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Jan 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

Thank you for the good laugh.

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:53 am

I suggest we start carrying water guns or soakers with a product called Liquid Fence loaded in them.

Posted by Kathleen
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:47 am

I love it! There are a lot worse things teens in this town could be doing in their spare time. Go for it!

Posted by TM
a resident of Country Fair
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I agree this sounds like goood clean fun for teenagers and wouldn't mind mixing it up with them too.

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:38 am

I can't believe people are actually endorsing this activity. We think this is "good clean fun for teenagers," yet object to the average citizen actually owning a firearm. Go figure.

Bring it on. My SuperSoaker is all ready "Liquid Fence" loaded.

Posted by Steve's Girl
on Jan 27, 2010 at 10:30 am

These aren't "firearms" they are nerf guns most boys play with when they are ten years old. If gives second semester seniors something to do besides party and brings the class a lot closer together before they graduate. This game has been going on for years, theres nothing wrong with it. This actually keeps kids out of trouble because most who are serious turn very anti social and refuse to go out of the house for fear of being ambushed.

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Steve's Girl -- Good points, but I still find parents/adults classifying a game called "Assasins" as "good clean fun for teenagers"disturbing.

I would bet these same parents/adults support anti-gun ownership legislation, yet if you shoot someone with something "soft" that's acceptable. I would also bet these same parents/adults will scream their lungs out should one of their kids experience the pleasure of being SuperSoaker'd with Liquid Fence.

Remember, turn around is fair play but no one says the game can't be altered to the player's liking.

Posted by Tim
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I always worry about this activity but I am glad the trend is not to over react.
My kids have all enjoyed this game.

Posted by G's mom
on Jan 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I have always supported this game, and will continue to do so, but last night, my daughter (who is a junior) was hit on our front lawn in the face with an airsoft pellet (NOT a nerf) and has a nice bloody welt to show for it. The assassins (in a white or silver expedition, by the way) and their cohorts in a smaller, dark car had been parked on our street for some time and then drove off at high speeds with their lights off and ran the stop sign at the end of my street. It's kids like this who will ruin it for everyone else. I hope the people in charge will deal with these kids swiftly and kick them out of the game, to show that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:57 am

G's Mom -- I am sorry about what happened to your daughter and hope she heals quickly. However, I am somewhat shocked that you can't see -- after this incident -- how this "good clean fun for teenagers" can quickly turn.

What will these same kids in the "white or silver expedition" use next time? Something that draws blood and causes serious injury? Perhaps it is time to stop "supporting" this game before someone really gets hurt.

Posted by Another Gatetree Resident
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:59 am

I might also point out this is a hard and fast example of what I meant when I stated:

"no one says the game can't be altered to the player's liking."