New Farmers Restaurant - Not so great

Original post made by Just One Opinion, Castlewood, on Nov 23, 2009

I went to the Farmers restaurant a few weeks ago and I must say that I am disappointed. It's missing all of the things needed for a good restaurant: good food, atmosphere, and service. The food is expensive and just okay. Steaks were not flavorful and the plate presentation reminds me of a Denny's. While the busboy was quick and efficient our waiter disappeared for long periods of time. He did not check to see if the food was okay and I had to ask several times for a glass of wine. To top it off the hostess greeted us wearing sagging sweatpants. Please walk this way was reminiscent of my last plumber visit. The biggest downside is the atmosphere. The Home Depot chandeliers, the fake wood grain Formica tables without table cloths and the Asian influenced chairs look like they bought the décor at a going out of business sale. The paint color choice the dining room combined with the lighting creates an eerie glow that has the warmth of a morgue. Perhaps it looks better in the daytime. Thoughts?

Posted by Dan Doerr
on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Perhaps the owner of the buliding that we would all forget that she told us the reason she cancelled the lease on the last place was that she wanted an updated, nicer restaurant in the building.

Too bad we didn't forget.

Too bad she didn't keep her word.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Nov 23, 2009 at 3:00 pm

If you order Porkchops with raisins I think you'll be happy! You pobly order Pochops and that's why it dint taste so good. Sorry to hear from you about the morgue. How much did you pay?

Posted by PToWN94566
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

I ate at the Farmer several times over summer and I highly disagree with the original postings comments. The food I was served was extremely flavorful and much better than the food that the old Pleasanton Hotel use to serve. The atmosphere as simple and not laid out in "old, country charm"- remember the wallpaper? The Pleasanton Hotel reminded me of visiting a grandmothers house that hasn't been updated in god knows how long. The service was more than friendly when I went and the greeter was dressed in appropriate attire. The price isn't cheap, but I do feel that this establishment is nothing like Denny's. If you think it's overly pricey, I wonder how other restaurants in downtown stay in business; some do charge MUCH more than the Farmer.

Posted by Cook
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Do they actually cook their food? I ask this because I have never been to that place. I measure a restaurant, for one, if they actually cook from scratch in their premises, rather than just open cans and jars. You would be surprised as to how many establishments do that nowadays and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Another bad trend is to serve people in paper plates and Styrofoam cups. What's up with that? I don't reheat or eat out of disposable utensils at my house. I will certainly not going to pay 10 times the price of a home cooked meal and be served frozen ingredients.

I can see buying a coffee to go and be served in a paper cup, but if I sit down at the establishment I expect to be served in a real cup.

Posted by Cindy
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I have eaten at Farmer's restaurant three times. The first was when it first opened and the food was mediocre. A few weeks ago I had lunch there and it was very good. Everyone in our party enjoyed the food. Last week I had dinner with a large group. Most of us had the fried chicken and it was EXCELLENT! Give the Farmer's restaurant a chance. The menu is extensive and I think the prices are very reasonable. The fried chicken dinner is $12.95 and includes a salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a side vegetable. At least it is NOT pasta!

Posted by sue
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I have been to the Farmer at least 5 times. The first time was good, the servers were still learning but my table of 7 was happy with the service. The potato salad, coleslaw, peach cobbler, all made daily, as im sure most of the items are. I have never been disappointed with the food, all great quality.

Dan, maybe the last tenant should have paid his rent!!

Posted by Jack
on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Okay, so we don't like bars, and we don't like banks. We don't like late music and we don't like loud music. We want to attract a younger crowd to Downtown, but only the right type of younger crowd. We didn't want a train, and we're not too fond of motorcycles. We like the idea of ice rinks, we just wish they weren't so cold.
We hate the blight and the idea of empty buildings on Main Street, and yet when a property owner decides in this economy to open her own restaurant in her building rather than keep it empty, this post is the thanks she gets?
Bravo to The Farmer! And Bravo to all the restaurants Downtown! And to those complainers who always think they can do better: The Domus building is still for rent...

Posted by cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:57 am

I apologize for my comments which contributed nothing to the discussion and were simply a hazing tactic.
I am, like all other human beings, flawed and my biggest flaw is my inability to engage in a discussion without being sarcastic, rude or just plain mean.
I am working on improving myself.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:01 am

tee hee hee, tee hee hee...dd I so sowie for hurting your fe-fe...

Posted by Timothy T
on Dec 3, 2009 at 9:40 am

Is this a place that's good enough to be in, say, San Francisco? No.

However, it's very solid, they have a good menu, a great brunch, and they're consistent and you get a good meal for a reasonable price. That's a lot more than most downtown restaurants can say.

A lot of the other downtown restaurants can learn from these guys.

Posted by trekmtb
a resident of Heritage Oaks
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:48 pm

We had dinner there a few nights ago and the food was very good. The waiter/staff were falling all over themselves to take care of us. Will go back again many times.

Posted by Long Timer
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jan 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

The Farmers dissapoints.. My family and I went three times, hoping for the best. We try to support Pleasanton business. It was OK enough the first time that we went back a few weeks later to see if they had imporoved at all. I had the fried chicken, which is the best dish they have, albeit probably the worst for you. We went a thrid time only because we were planning a large event for 100 people and needed facility for dinning and dancing. The management knew why we were there, but did nothing to see to it our meals and enjoyment were inhanced. If anything, every dish we had was barley palatable....and too pricy. We wont be back.

Posted by Jenny
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Mar 28, 2010 at 8:30 am

I beg to differ with your negativity about the Farmer. FINALLY someone has opened an establishment that has something for everyone. I went in there the other day to have lunch with a friend and it was outstanding. I went there again one night with my girlfriends and it was karaoke night - a perfect type of entertainment for 30 - 40-somethings who don't want to be inundated with low-rise jeans on an anorexic 20-something at Red Coats. This place is really great. And family-friendly too!