Nervous about Stoneridge Mall?

Original post made by Jenny, San Ramon, on Nov 5, 2009

Well, I have a new job at Stoneridge Mall... which is excellent pay, and seems like a fun job. I'm a college student, so I really need it.

However, I'm also a girl, and a very nervous and paranoid one at that. After reading up on all the crime and about the new BART Station, I'm thinking of backing out of this job.

I really don't want to, but I already have paranoia, and this is just making it worse. I know it'll be near impossible to find another job, though..

What does everyone think? Have the robberies and incidents at Stoneridge Mall make you apprehensive about going there? Are there incidents you have seen that the rest of us don't know about?

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:59 am

Just be "street smart"(always keep your head up and be aware of what's going on around you - don't become complacent). Be alert and if something looks as it shouldn't, immediately go back inside and ask security to escort you to your vehicle or walk with a co-worker...

Also, park in a well lighted area as close to the doors as possible and discuss with your co-workers what they do to protect themselves...

Thousands of people visit the mall with no problems. Don't let some "isolated incidents" ruin your chance to have a "fun job". Crime happens everywhere, we live in a high crime area - California...

Have fun in your new job...:)

Posted by jimf01
a resident of another community
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:33 am

jimf01 is a registered user.

They seem to have a large security force there, how about asking for an escort to your vehicle instead of traversing the parking lot alone? And/or get yourself some pepper spray. Crime can happen anywhere, this guy ha a book and a lot of good basic safety tips Web Link

Posted by tyu
on Nov 5, 2009 at 11:39 am

Your story is a sad one. Get help with your fear, I promiss that anywhere in Pleasanton is one of the safest places on earth. Crime happens everywhere and rocks do fall from the sky but if you fear Pleasanton you fear the world.

Posted by PToWN94566
on Nov 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

Jenny the mall is just as safe as is the downtown shops. People who do not want BART in our community stretch the truth a bit much and think that someone will come to our community on BART, rob homes, then hop back on BART with televisions, clothes etc and think no one will take notice. Before BART was ever built here in the town people were running around screaming "the sky is falling"- nothing major ever happened. You also have to realize that malls sell products based on the socie-economic status of that area; the clothes Stoneridge Mall sells may not be sold over at South Land Mall on the other side of the hill.

My mother is 65 and has been working at the mall for 8/9 years. She works long, late hour during the holiday and has never had a problem with someone trying to mob her. If you are truly afraid to walk to your car in the evening (if you're working), call for security to escort you or if another coworker is present, walk out with them. I wouldn't pass up this opportunity.

Posted by D W
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Jenny, Jerry's advice is a very good start. While it helps to gain more calming connections, do note that most of the horror stories you hear come from the north and west ends of the lot. There are a lot of trees, bushes, and tall weeds to hide from on the north, and vulnerable banks to the west. Try and befriend one of the mall officers. That will also help your cause. Best wishes with both your career and yourself. And welcome to Pleasanton.

Posted by Tony L.
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Jenny sounds like the poster child for a sheltered suburbanite who is scared of the outside world. Oh no, the scary people on BART are going to get you!!! Maybe you should just hide behind some gated community and never go out because something TERRIBLE might happen. It amazes me how so many people around here live in a state of unnecessary fear.

Posted by Jenny
a resident of San Ramon
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Actually, I have been harassed on BART many, many times. My friends and I have been stalked/harassed by very loud, very rude, people there... and I've been seeing more and more of harassing going on at the mall, so I think I have a right to be weary.

I don't understand why you come here to harass me. I just wanted some help to understand what I should do to protect myself at my new job. I'm eighteen, and I'm just getting into the "real" world... I don't want to walk around blindly, so I was just asking for some advice..

Which brings me to thank all of you! This is all very helpful. I think I will buy some pepper-spray, just in case. And any other information/tips would be helpful, too.

Posted by Parent of Two
a resident of Val Vista
on Nov 5, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Parent of Two is a registered user.

Jenny,
Don't listen to Tony. If you were my daughter, I'd tell you to park in the most brightly lit section of the parking lot, and if you can't have a co-employee walk with you to the car, have your keys out BEFORE you even step outside, walk quickly to your car WITHOUT STOPPING, and get in the car and lock the door. Don't stop to help anyone with "directions" or "car problems"; nowadays everyone has a cell phone, and it's likely a bogus question.

Better safe than sorry. Don't let anyone tell you that you're being paranoid. You're a single female, and you need to be alert at all times.

Posted by Tami
on Nov 5, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Jenny,
I agree. Don't listen to Tony. I have girls your age. Better to be smart and safe. My girls both have pepper spray that you can buy, and keep on to your key chain. Enjoy your job and your life, but always be prepared. Have your keys in your hands, look around, get in your car, and lock the doors. You'll be fine!

Posted by Qwerty
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Jobs are hard to come by these days, and if you've found one that seems fun AND pays, more power to you. Act confidant and keep your head up. Carry pepper spray and you should be fine.

I'm not certain what hours you will be working, but it can be difficult to find a spot close to any of the entrances unless you are lucky. A good second choice would be to park next to one of the tall lampposts. If you are concerned about safety, choose a small purse, one that goes over your shoulder and fits just underneath your arm. It will be more difficult for someone to grab that as compared to a large bag or one with a long strap.

You can also get whistles that are small and can fit on a keychain. That's something you can use to make noise if someone approaches you and tries to harass you in the parking lot. Chances are you won't need to use it, but it may make you feel more comfortable knowing it's there.

Posted by bobbi
on Nov 6, 2009 at 9:56 am

take the job... have security walk you to your car if it's dark out...

Posted by der
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:58 am

Do not worry, Stoneridge is a very nice mall with lots of security. You have a safe work environment. Make sure you pay attention to everything, but that is a suitable suggestion for any place you work early or late.

Posted by bel
a resident of Val Vista
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I worked in the mall before, its not bad (except the managers and pay lol) Make sure if you are closing alone to have someone meet you to walk to your car. The corridors and halls are dimly lit, and secluded and not a good idea of a young girl to walk alone. While I was working there a girl was grabbed by a guy from behind in the hallway but managed to get away. Get to know people working with you, and in stores near you, its safer to leave in groups. If someone strange is hanging around the door you can call security.

I worked there a couple years without issues, just be smart about your surroundings you should be fine.

Posted by Basil
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Jenny, I think you are right to take this situation seriously. I ride BART every day, and the people who tell you you are a sheltered suburbanite to worry are people who are victims of the over-liberal PC crowd and their ilk. I doubt any of them take BART other than an occasional shopping junket to the City. Once BART has a stop at the mall, you need to take your personal safety as your number one priority. There will be an increase in security at the mall, but I'm afraid that will only come after several incidents.

Posted by Jenny
a resident of San Ramon
on Nov 15, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Thank you for all your wonderful responses. I truly, deeply appreciate them all.

I've bought some pepper spray, just so I can have it with me. It adds a little bit of reassurance, but I'm still a little cautious, especially with the incident at the mall with the man at the kiosk.

I do trust in this city to keep us safe, and I know I can't just keep fearing everything, or else I'm really not going to be living. I'm still afraid, but I know I am very blessed to have a job right now, so I'm going to try and get through it.