Post a New Topic
Original post made
by Judy, Amador Valley High School,
on Oct 24, 2009
I believe the Amador band does when they are able to; the last time the marched in the Foothill parade, but not as competitors, was two years ago. Amador's Homecoming Dance is tonight and they didn't have practice today so that the kids can prepare for the dance. Amador will be competing southern California next weekend.
Amador and Foothill will perform together on November 17th at 7pm at Amador when both perform their field shows for the community.
Amador Valley High School is invited to perform in the Band Review each year. When they have attended, they have performed well, winning awards, and have allowed both the community and the Rose Parade committee an opportunutity to view them in their home town.
To encourage their attendence in P-Town's parade, contact John Grantham (Band Director, AVHS) or your local school board member.
I am not a "Band Parent", but went to the Amador/Foothill performance a couple of years ago and was very impressed. The students put a lot of work into the performances and it really shows!!!
It was a shame that the Homecoming Dance and the Band Review were scheduled on the same night.....
They couldn't perform because they had homecoming dance the same night? Lame excuse. several bands had homecoming dances that night and they still made it to the band review! Whats up Amador???
Foothill band review is not what it was 20 years ago. I really think that Bands of Amador's caliber are finding band reviews that are more challenge & competive.
I am so sad to see Mr. Moorefield leave but he has left a wonderful legacy at Foothill High and now it is time for the community of the tri-valley to come together and focus on all the tri-valley Bands not just Foothill. Let the music live on in your hearts.
My kids were in the Amador band many, many years ago. The yearly band review here in Pleasanton was (and is) an opportunity for the Amador music program to show the locals their talents and keep a continued interest in music during these tough economic times. My wife and I once again arrived on Main street early Saturday morning and viewed some wonderful presentations. However we were once again left hanging when our own school in our own city dedcided to not participate. How embarassing! I understand the conflict but they still should have marched down Main street in the AM. Maybe next year???? I'll be there, I hope Amador will be as well...
I am a current band mom and was a member of the Foothill High Band Review Committee and can answer all of these queries:
1. Amador was invited to perform however Mr. Grantham made a committment to the students that the only weekend they will have no performances during the Fall Marching Season is Homecoming. This rule also applies to Foothill, which is why we did not attend a band competition last weekend in Del Oro; a band competition I might add we have performed at for the last 30 years or so.
2. The Foothill Band Review is always held on the last Saturday in Oct. so it is bound to conflict with other school functions.
3. Amador does plan to attend next year, provided their homecoming is not the same day. Mr. Grantham and Mr. Butterfield have an excellent relationship and have spoken often.
4. A very special thank you goes out to Mr. Grantham and Amador High School as they helped us a great deal with providing access to the facility and equipment. It would have been very difficult for us to have the concert competition there without their help. They are great partners and friends to Foothill Band.
5. Our band review is the biggest of the season and had 60 bands total between the parade, concert and field show. I agree that Amador is a band of very high caliber. Our band review did attract bands of equal caliber to Amador's so I'm sorry if you were unable to make it down to the parade and/or field show competitions as you would have seen some amazing performances.
6. Mr. Moorefield did do a good job building up the program from scratch, however it was a good time for him to retire and concentrate on his life with his wife and grandkids. Our new band directors are amazing and bring back the energy, vitality and fun that was there when Mr. Moorefield was just beginning at Foothill, when I was in band. We are blessed to have Mr. Butterfield and Mr. Nishimori as our instructors and hope we are able to keep them for the next several decades as well.
7. I agree that we should embrace the music programs as whole in Pleasanton. Our city is blessed is have amazing musicians at both schools who work very hard and are very good. There are 2 different styles of shows, which gives the kids in Pleasanton a nice choice. I hope to see everyone at Amador when Foothill and Amador bands put on their field shows for the parents and anyone else in attendance.
From an Amador Parent, thank you for clarifying the issues for the citizens of Pleasanton.
Yes, it might seem trivial that Mr. Grantham allowed the kids Saturday off for Homecoming, but that is the only Saturday the kids have off from mid-August until Thanksgiving. For those students that participate in the winter seasons of winterguard and winter percussion, they only have Saturday off from April through mid-August.
Amador and Foothill marching programs compete in different circuits but come together once a year for a FREE community performance. We encourage everyone in Pleasanton to attend this opportunity to see both incredible shows without charge.
The concerts for the four bands of Amador are also free to attend. Please check the band's website at www.amadorband.org for more information.
Pleasanton music students are blessed with 2 strong high school musical programs that are supported by the district, parents, and community.
Again I say lame excuse Amador!!
Thanks for explaining Band Parent, it really helps to clarify with facts rather than conjecture as many do. Hey Momo--you are being VERY SELFISH!
Nice "character" statement momo!!!!!!
It was a great band review as always--what was sad that only one member of the School Board was briefly there, one brief appearance by a member of the Pleasanton Unified School District and not a single member of the Pleasanton City Council showed up. To see all those empty "birds eye" view seats reserved for "special" Pleasanton people must not have looked good for the visiting band members and band director too. Come on Pleasanto you can do better next year!
Patriot, that is too bad there wasn't more representation by the local VIPs. Both schools have truly outstanding programs...that are funded by the parents and band booster organizations, not the school district. I know I am repeating my earlier comments but November 17th both bands will be performing together. This year, this free performance will be held at Amador's field at 7pm.
Does Foothill still get an award at their own Band review? I know when I was in Dublin Band over 20 years ago Foothill always got an award. We all thought that was weird because the host band does not compete. This award never went to Amador ,Dublin or any of the other tri-valley bands. I am sure the new Foothill Band directors are wonderful and will do a great job. One thing we need to keep in mind though is that the Band Parents are what helps the band run smoothly wether it be a shoulder to cry on or queen of the Hair spray and bobby pins. I think that they should dedicate the Nov 17th performance to the Band Parents!! You Rock Amador!! March for the stars at your next competition!!
Many years ago Foothill got the Chan Henderson award - maybe that's what Bobbypin O is referring to - do they still have that award? But the host band does not take a place in competition.
Sorry, but I have to agree with momo. Amador has their schedule set way in advance and should have changed SOMETHING in order to participate in this annual and proud city event. Just sayin'.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: *
- Amador Estates
- Amberwood/Wood Meadows
- Another Pleasanton neighborhood
- Apperson Ridge
- Beratlis Place
- Bonde Ranch
- Bordeaux Estates
- Bridle Creek
- California Reflections
- California Somerset
- Canyon Creek
- Canyon Meadows
- Canyon Oaks
- Carlton Oaks
- Carriage Gardens
- Castlewood Heights
- Charter Oaks
- Civic Square
- Country Fair
- Danbury Park
- Deer Oaks/Twelve Oaks
- Del Prado
- Foothill Farms
- Foothill Knolls
- Foothill Place
- Foxborough Estates
- Golden Eagle
- Grey Eagle Estates
- Hacienda Gardens
- Happy Valley
- Heritage Oaks
- Heritage Valley
- Highland Oaks
- Jensen Tract
- Kolb Ranch Estates
- Kottinger Ranch
- Laguna Oaks
- Laguna Vista
- Las Positas
- Las Positas Garden Homes
- Lemoine Ranch
- Lund Ranch II
- Mariposa Ranch
- Mission Park
- Mohr Park
- Nolan Farms
- Oak Hill
- Oak Tree Acres
- Old Towne
- Pheasant Ridge
- Pleasanton Heights
- Pleasanton Meadows
- Pleasanton Valley
- Pleasanton Village
- Remen Tract
- Ridgeview Commons
- Ruby Hill
- Southeast Pleasanton
- Spotorno Ranch
- Stoneridge Orchards
- Stoneridge Park
- Sycamore Heights
- Sycamore Place
- The Knolls
- Val Vista
- Valley Trails
- Vineyard Avenue
- Vineyard Hills
- Vintage Hills Elementary School
- Walnut Hills
- West of Foothill
- Willow West
- Alisal Elementary School
- Amador Valley High School
- Donlon Elementary School
- Fairlands Elementary School
- Foothill High School
- Hart Middle School
- Harvest Park Middle School
- Horizon High School
- Lydiksen Elementary School
- Mohr Elementary School
- Pleasanton Middle School
- Valley View Elementary School
- Village High School
- Vintage Hills Elementary School
- Walnut Grove Elementary School
- another community
- San Ramon
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Another bad idea from the air board
By Tim Hunt | 15 comments | 1,098 views
Exchange Club Meeting on First Amendment
By Roz Rogoff | 0 comments | 574 views
Home & Real Estate
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
San Ramon Express
© 2015 Pleasanton Weekly
All rights reserved.