Flu keeping students out of school

Original post made on Oct 23, 2009

Many Pleasanton students were out sick this past week after reporting flu-like symptoms. Although the county shows no "documented" cases of Pleasanton students with the H1N1 virus, officials are saying students likely have what is referred to as the swine flu.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, October 23, 2009, 12:00 AM

Posted by A concerned mom
on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:49 am

Great! Get the H1N1 vaccination. That's the advice? It's not even available in our community yet! But it's being reported that students in the district may already have the H1N1 flu. Should I be keeping my high risk category(asthma) student home until there is some sort of definitive answer? I think the district just doesn't want to lose any more money because of high absence rates or school closures. From what I've heard there have been shortages in the shipments of the vaccine locally (can't give a high risk patient the intranasal vaccine since it contains a live virus). Seems like a debacle to me.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:18 am

Keep your kid at home. It's safer and at least you can keep an open eye.

Posted by Original Joe
on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Kaiser has H1N1 for those under 50...IF YOU ARE A MEMBER! The county has a clinic scheduled for Pleasanton Middle school.

Posted by Parent
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:15 pm

My child was immunized for both yesterday at Kaiser Pleasanton.

Posted by concerned mom
on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:12 am

You have to be a Kaiser member in order to receive the H1N1 vaccine at their facilities. No help there. In the meantime kids are being exposed and put at risk needlessly until they can get immunized (too little too late)!!

Posted by mom of 3rd grader
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:55 am

Half my daughter's class was absent yesterday. My daughter has had a fever and a fit of the sniffles and coughs, but nothing serious enough that I would take her to the doctor to get checked.

I will still get her vaccinated for H1N1 as soon as she's better and our doctor gets vaccine -- since we're not sure what this current infection is. She had a seasonal flu vaccine two or three weeks ago.

My husband feels like he's fighting off a cold. I have been run down, but aside from fatigue have no symptoms.