New Garbage Service

Original post made by Marc on Oct 20, 2009

I like it that were now separating recyclable items and placing them in a third can. I just don't understand why we have to pay more for it. The Garbage company now receives, separated by us, all the cans, bottles and plastic items that translate into cash or credit in any recycling center.

I wonder if they get away with it because they have no competition in town.

I for one do not put any recyclable items that I can exchange for cash or credit. I take it to a recycling center myself. If the garbage company is charging me more to make me separate items for them, they are not going to get any additional money from me. Enough is enough.

Posted by Georgianna, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 20, 2009 at 7:48 pm

And what about the pollution caused by all these extra trucks picking up our various varieties of garbage?

Posted by sue, a resident of Birdland
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:50 pm

To answer your question... extra trucks, extra drivers = higher costs. You can reduce the size of your garbace can for less, get the 35 gallon if $ is an issue.

Posted by Stay Hot, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm

To pay for union guys!

Posted by tyu, a resident of Birdland
on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:03 am

This topic has been beaten to death and none of it will change a thing. Greed, money and the ability to do what you want = PGS. The hard part is for us that are environmentally concious as in and don't use a lot of packaging like bottled water, and bring our own bags to the the groccery store, get their 'newspaper' electronically just don't produce large amounts of recyclables. At best we'll have to put the recycling cans out every other week. Maybe most fill them up every week, maybe they should collect them every other week as they used to do with the green waste. It would be more environmentally sound, but maybe most fill them up weekly. If you are you could probably cut down on the waste you create in general.

Posted by Langdon, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Government bloating themselves to fill their own bloat

Posted by sorting, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:40 am

does anyone know if I can get a smaller recycle bin and would that cost less than the large one I currently have?

Posted by Mark, a resident of Birdland
on Oct 22, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I called the garbage co. You can get a smaller recycle can, but the price stays the same. Is that great or what?

Posted by Resident, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I do not understand the mandate and the cost structure. If you need to use more - pay more. Why can't I get a small recycle can and a small garbage can and pay a much reduced price. I am a one person house??? If I bring my recyclables to the transfer station - I sure do not get the rate they're charging me to begin with off my bill. There's something fishy here and it's called a monopoly.

Posted by Very Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Welcome to Econ. 102:

Anytime you have a lack of competition, you encourage/invite abuse of power. In this case, pricing.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.