Swine Flu Vaccine-Do Any Pediatricans Have It?

Original post made by Susan on Oct 13, 2009

My pediatrician's office does not have swine flu vaccine until the end of October. Is this true of all pediatricans?
I watched the woman in my pediatricican's office who gives shots push the garbage in the doctor's examining room down (to make more room) with her bare hands more than once, and then put on gloves to give my kid the shot. I told her to wash her hands, and she said she didn't need to because she was putting on gloves.
I spoke with the doctor and he agreed she was wrong and would talk with her. The next vaccine, she entered the room with gloves on already. Hmm...did she or did she not wash her hands? We're playing games here, so I'm looking for a new pediatrician. I figured I might as well choose one who has the swine flu vaccine, if any do. Does yours?

Posted by Susan, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Okay, I actually do know how to spell 'pediatrician', but it seems my fingers don't.

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I believe the first wave of H1N1 vaccines was slated for immune compromised individuals and the second wave was for children, so it may be a few weeks before peds have access to it.

Posted by PToWN94566, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 13, 2009 at 11:15 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

This is totally off the topic, but did any else see the news report on channel 5? Some lady in Pleasanton claiming that her son caught the swine flu at PMS and that the district is trying to hide it, keeping all the details on the "hush hush."

Posted by Jill, a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Oct 14, 2009 at 9:18 am

PToWN94566--I just watched the video. Totally inflammatory. If the reporter had bothered asking local medical providers, I'm sure he would have heard that the pandemic virus is not only here, but it's been here for months. Our pediatrician told us that his practice was seeing 1-3 cases daily over the summer, and is (of course) seeing more now. Why on earth would anyone be surprised that the virus is present in schools, daycares, workplaces, or anywhere else?

Posted by Pleasantonian, a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:53 am

You can get current information about the availability of flu vaccines on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website and more locally, the Alameda County and CA state Dept of Health websites. And info about preventing getting the flu and passing it on to others.

I understand that one can get the injectable seasonal flu vaccination (aka "flu shot") and the H1N1 vaccination simultaneously. But if one gets the seasonal flu vaccination via the "flu mist", they'd have to wait 3 weeks before getting the H1N1 vaccination.

There will be a flu clinic held at Fairlands Elem. on Oct 29th in the afternoon but there has to be a minimum pre-registered. I think there's information on the Pleasanton PTA Council's website, www.pleasantonpta.org, eg. cost, etc.

BTW, its astonishing to hear about the lack of handwashing in the pediatrician's office. You'd think the assistant would want to protect herself from anything disgusting in the garbage. It's good to speak up - it's for their protection, not just yours!

Posted by Chris, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Remember what happened in the 1970's last time we had a 'pandemic'?

Web Link#

Posted by Anonny, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Of course H1N1 flu is here. My family has it--don't worry, we haven't left the house in 3 days to make sure we don't spread it. Friends in Livermore have it as well.

Why is anyone surprised that it is spreading in Pleasanton? It's a flu virus, for heaven's sake! Just as with the regular seasonal flu, it can be easily spread wherever people congregate: schools, business offices, grocery stores, libraries, movie theatres - the usual venues.

I wish the vaccine had been available BEFORE we caught this!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm

FLU-Shots Web Link

Posted by Carmen, a resident of another community
on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Bayside Pediatrics has it. As of Oct 26, I made my daughter's appointment to get it. She is 3. Her doctor's office is in Walnut Creek. Bayside has several locations in all communities including Pleasanton. Good luck!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.