Pleasanton named a top U.S. city for focus on environment

Original post made on Oct 8, 2009

Mayor Jennifer Hosterman has announced that Pleasanton has been named one of the top 34 cities among 1,040 that are part of the U.S. Conference of Mayors "green coalition" of environmentally-focused American communities.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, October 8, 2009, 7:37 AM

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:33 am

Stacey is a registered user.

Take that, Jerry Brown!

Posted by Fred the Falcon
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:51 am

Yes, but did they examine the carbon footprint Jennifer's falconry is leaving on the city? She also shops at Raley's and drives a car! How dare she! We could have been #33 if she started walking everywhere.

Posted by mooseturd
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:16 am

We could have been 32 if Pleasanton Garbage Co. had done the responsible thing a decade ago.

Posted by Michael
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:24 am

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Seattle, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Pleasanton. Sounds a bit like a boondoggle for the mayor if you ask me. Pleasanton has all of those traffic problems and congestion. Did she mention the amount of air pollution in Pleasanton created by idling vehicles in town? Waste of time and our money.

Posted by karen
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:25 am

I remember when I moved to Pleasanton 10 years ago and calling PGS to order my cans. I asked about the recycling "tubs". The clerk explained to me that PGS has you put everything in one can, they seperate...I remember my exact words to her "is that really efficient"? Finally 10 years later we are seperating our trash!

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:34 am

Seems like we've got the icing, but are missing the cake......what's going on with our schools, the budget gap, and making changes to ensure a sustainable high level of education and responsible spending?

Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Oct 8, 2009 at 10:05 am

This article just begs the question . . . one more time . . .

Why is a self-proclaimed "green" town, that frequently talks about "sustainability", has goals to "capture more recyclable material and send less material to the landfill," and "supports a 75% diversion target" of solid waste to our Alameda County landfills, severely limiting the amount of solid waste it will collect and recycle?

Why does Pleasanton, along with Piedmont, Berkeley and Emeryville, have one of the most limited recyclable lists in Alameda County? Hmmmmm, affluent, highly educated, activist . . .

Why are other Alameda County towns (Castro Valley, Fremont, San Lorenzo, Dublin, Livermore, Oakland, Alameda and Albany), as well as San Ramon, accepting and recycling far more than Pleasanton?

I'm still waiting for answers from City Hall . . .

Posted by jenny
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Gosh, so much negativity. If you all hate Pleasanton so much, MOVE. I hear Stockton has seme great deals on homes.

Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Oct 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm

"jenny",
I don't consider it negative to hold my elected officials accountable for the standards they, themselves, have set.

I do consider it my, as well as every other resident or business owner's responsibility to ensure that Pleasanton is the best that it can be - for all of us. Sometimes that means asking City Hall the hard questions. In my 18+ years here in Pleasanton, I've certainly asked a few. It also means expecting our City leaders to not just throw around empty words, but actually stand up and be accountable for the positions they've taken, the goals they've set and the promises they've made.

I'm sorry you feel that an expectation of excellence in our "community of character" and its elected officials is not something to be valued.

Posted by Laughing...
on Oct 8, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I think that it is hilarious that Hosterman is quoted as "It's exciting to be among other environmentally-focused cities such as Los Angeles."

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Oak Hill
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Another notch in the mayor's belt that will come in handy when she runs for higher office...

Hey, don't knock LA or Atlanta. They wash away the blood and pick up all the bodies in the street....... That's environmental...

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Jenny -

To piggyback on what Billie said, one of the things that has shaped Pleasanton into the great community it has become are the challanges the community has voiced to its elected officials. Criticisms for improvement are not statements of disgust for where we live.

Posted by Ben
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I wonder if the prestigious US Conference of Mayors give a merit badge for Mayors for who actually fix potholes (i.e. address issues facing their town vs. trying to 'save the world'). My guess is that Hosterman wouldn't qualify for that merit badge.

Posted by Old Guy
a resident of Mission Park
on Oct 9, 2009 at 8:56 am

Jenny, you do not know what Pleasanton was-a nice town without Blackhawk wannabe's honking their horns at people in crosswalks, a downtown with character, shoe repair shop, a hardware store, a TV repair shop, fire musters and parades instead of what it is now--banks, restaurants and useless knick-knack "specialty" shops. you need to get some history girl. Not negative, just factual.

Posted by Me
on Oct 9, 2009 at 9:00 am

I found this ironic as I rode by a elementary school(on my bike)to BART this morning. Every child being dropped off. I know most the kids live within walking or bikoing distance. Jennifer why not team with the school district to get kids to develop more ecologically frindly habits at a young age. They may find the enjoy the fresh air. Fresher than that in thier car anyway. Good for thier heath and delay's the oil shortage crisis to later in thier lives. (maybe we will be producing our own alternative energies (like Nuclear Fusion) by then or at least developed a more reasonable view on fission reactors.

Posted by Me
on Oct 9, 2009 at 9:04 am

An Old guy you forgot Kolins harward, fressh sandwiched at the Cheese Factory, the train running between 1st and main, Bellinis Pizza, a single traffic signal in town (3 way ) at Valley and Santa Rita etcc (oh and the landfill(read dump) over by Ruby Hill)

Posted by doug
on Oct 9, 2009 at 11:10 am

Wow, we live in one of the safest places, are doing alright across any standard and also have a decent and active sense of community. Everything else seems rather trite to me. We are very fortunate. Maybe its time to quietly accept that and enjoy what we have.