Controversy stems over President Obama's speech to students

Original post made on Sep 11, 2009

Many students were greeted by President Barack Obama Tuesday morning as they were back in the classrooms from the Labor Day holiday. Despite national and local controversy over the President's broadcast speech, the district didn't see many students kept from schools.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 11, 2009, 12:00 AM

Posted by cbrook, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 11, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Too bad the White House didn't put out the speech last week, but they waited until Monday (the Whitehouse Lesson Plan had lots of concerns)! TOO LATE!!
After all it is my job to motivate and inspire my own child, not the Government. I do that every day with positive affirmations, positive parenting techniques and staying involved. Plus promoting learning not being

Posted by Julie, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 11, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Julie is a registered user.

Goody, goody gumdrops for you cbrook! Really, I think that's great how you motivate, inspire & all that. Unfortunately not all children are so fortunate to have involved, inspiring, positive role models in their life. And, even for those who are as lucky, why is it "bad" for them to hear yet another voice of inspiration? Personally I don't want the market on inspiration with my children. I recognize that I am not the only person on the planet capable of teaching/encouraging/affirming them.

Posted by cbrook, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 11, 2009 at 5:58 pm

like Bridget Meslon (Spelling to be corrected by the Doctor) and myself we care enough about our Children to take care of them ourselves. We don't need the Government or you MS. Julie, a resident of Another PLeasanton neighborhood to teach, inspire or motivate our Children, we want them to look to us for their motivation, affirmation and positive parenting. If the parents of the USA would own up to their responsibility we might once again be the Greatest Nation on Earth!!

Posted by PToWN94566, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

"If the parents of the USA would own up to their responsibility we might once again be the Greatest Nation on Earth!!"

Ignorant statements like this is why children slip through the cracks. Motivating children to do well in school is not a job only parents should partake in. the 'teacher' doesn't only apply to the teachers in classrooms- coaches, religious leaders, counselors, babysitters- these are all forms of teachers. Also, if it's not the governments (Federal) job to have some say in education (and it's not as large as people make it out to be), then why do schools that have signed up for have to pass standardized tests to qualify for Title 1 funds through NCLB?

Posted by Julie, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Julie is a registered user.

cbrook, I will have to "agree to disagree" with you that somehow my willingness to expose my children to other potential motivators makes me less of a parent than you (implied in your post). I certainly care "enough" about my children and take responsibility for them - just like you say you do.

Why were you concerned about the president's speech? You must home school or send your child(ren) to private school since you write that you don't need the government to teach your children. I thought the speech was only to be shown in public schools, which apparently your children do not attend. I guess you don't attend church either since I thought that many church goers look to their priest/pastor/etc. for inspiration for both themselves and their children. I guess your children aren't allowed to play sports since, in my experience, the coaches certainly try to inspire and motivate their players.

Interesting you drag Dr. Bridget into this - I thought people pay her to help with their children...that her husband is a "life coach". I may have remembered wrong, and if so, I apologize. If I'm remembering right, it just seemed ironic that you mention her since your theme is being the sole support system for your child.

Posted by Censored, a resident of Downtown
on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Posted by cbrook, a resident of the Another Pleasanton neighborhood neighborhood, 1 hour ago

Last time I checked, at least one of you had children in PUSD. So, I understand that to be the Government Run Public school sytem to be "teaching, motivating and inspiring" your children.

God Bless!~

"Bridget Meslon (Spelling to be corrected by the Doctor) and myself we care enough about our Children to take care of them ourselves. We don't need the Government or you MS. Julie, a resident of Another PLeasanton neighborhood to teach, inspire or motivate our Children, we want them to look to us for their motivation, affirmation and positive parenting. If the parents of the USA would own up to their responsibility we might once again be the Greatest Nation on Earth!!"

Posted by Bonnie, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm

It's pretty apparent this is polital for those who did not want their kids to hear Obama's speech. The speech itself was pretty benign: stay in school/work hard/achieve your highest potential, etc. This president is not the first to deliver such a speech. There was no attempt at "indoctrination" of our youth, just positive advice that most responsible parents would agree with. Why is it that those who don't like the guy can't just say that and stop trying to disguise their political agenda as healthy parenting?

Posted by mary, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:47 am

First of all, would cbrook similarly feel the JFK should have not motivated the nation (and its students!) with his powerful speeches that are still with us today? To think that a President should not try to motivate is rediculous. We parents are the primary, and surely our President should be somewhere next in line, and after all, he truly spoke the right words, no side agenda on his cue cards.

Secondly, for those of you who've said in the past that every classroom showed the speech - what nonsense! I know many many kids who came home from both middle and high school who said the teacher chose not to show he speech at all. Not even a vote of discussion. Just a non-issue.

Well, a non-issue for all except those who'd have wanted their kids to have gotten that experience.

Posted by falcon mom, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Go Republicans! Way to teach your children and motivate them to have closed minds! I am so glad you refuse to have anyone else help with the enlightening of your young people. That is exactly what the bay area needs. More one-sided ness.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.