AARP - A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Beware

Original post made by Ken in South Pleasanton on Aug 27, 2009

I just received an email from AARP (I've been a member for nearly 10 years) urging me to voice my opinion on healthcare reform and providing a link for me to do so. HOWEVER, when I follow the link it only allows me to AGREE with passing the healthcare reform act circulating through Washington. AARP is nothing more than a shill for liberal democratic socialist revisionism in Washington and does not represent the majority of its members with whom I am acquainted.

If AARP were truly interested in representing their members to Washington, they would provide a link to express approval or disapproval of what is proposed. Furthermore, they would provide email feedback from members rather than their archaic "call me or send me a letter" method of reaching them. I suspect they remain in the dark ages of communication because it allows them to limit and ignore feedback from members.

My wife and I are fed up with being led around like sheep by this one-sided group that purports to represent the best interests of retired persons. We are canceling our memberships and hope that other like-minded AARP members will join us in becoming former AARP members.

Posted by Martha, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Ken...you are very wise indeed. I have only two 'minor' issues with Obama's nationalized healthcare program.

1. It is not about "health" and
2. It is not about "care"

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 27, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I think that I will approval with AARP!

missy marthy, you needed worry, nobody is gonna force you to eat watermelon every Friday, is that what frightens you the most?

Yup, America has a BLACK President and tons of people are afraid of his color...sad!

Posted by m, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 27, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Cholo ... you are indeed becoming a wise man ... the whole issue really is about his color / race / racism ... not really about the issues at hand.

Posted by To "m", a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Cholo has it exactly right. And in a town known for being "white flight", it really scares the local neanderthals to see a black president and all the Indians and Chinese moving in to their beloved town.

Posted by Yo Ken, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Do you send your social security payments back to the government? What about medicare insurance? Do you send that back, or are you a socialist?

Posted by Stay Cool, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Yo Ken, you are so very correct! And from Cholo's comment on down, thank you! So good to see some reason on these boards!
It's not about "health" and it's not about "care?" Right. Now Obama is "sinister?" I am laughing so hard I think I might vomit.
Get a grip, please. Please. What is sinister about trying to provide coverage alternatives for people who currently don't have any? Let me answer that for you. Nothing.

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Oak Hill
on Aug 27, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Heard on the radio AARP has lost 60,000 members due to their stance on this medical care issue...

Posted by Dan Barton, a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 28, 2009 at 2:29 am

Martha, You are SO full of Bologna! Get A GRIP MRS. EMOTIONAL TURMOIL!

"Posted by Martha, a resident of the Another Pleasanton neighborhood neighborhood, 9 hours ago

Ken...you are very wise indeed. I have only two 'minor' issues with
On the contrary, it is all about control over our lives and bankrupting America further...both of which are Obama's clandestine goals. i believe this guy has very very sinister plans for this country...which if we do not stop soon, it'll be too late for America. "

Posted by P, a resident of Danville
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:42 pm

So naive. Those quickest to claim/accuse race as an excuse are the very guilty ones.
When comments critical of the proposed debacle are given with factual
statistics and the only response the opposition can muster is "race".
So sad.
Look what our gov't run schools have produced. Several generations of uninformed voters. Just look at the very current example of the "cash for clunkers" program. They can not even execute a mere billion dollar give away program. Dealers have not received the promised compensation. And we still want to let the gov't run our medical program. PLEASE. WAKE UP PEOPLE

Posted by think about it, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Over the years I have found that the person who calls others racist is usually the racist one.

The issues coming out of Washington do not have ANYTHING to do with racism. It is about taxing middle class ( all races) citizens beyond our ability to afford our own health care. There will be no choice for most Americans in regards to health care. Only those who belong to the Unions ( they have their own plan and will be exempt from having to accept national health care) and politicians.

This administration seems to want to have their thumb covering Americans. Not exactly sure what the reason behind it is, but it won't be long before we find out. It's about control. It is what the government has always wanted, been working on for decades. The current administration has decided that socialism is better than good old freedom. They are working hard at accomplishing that, and may very well succeed using the race card every time someone opposes their ideas.

Take a very close look at the czars that Obama has appointed to rule our country. Please, do your own research. Privately if you want. Look back over the past 30 years. See who they were then, and decide if you really believe Obama has our best interest.

We were promised change. We are going to get exactly that. It is what the voters wanted.

Get ready.

Posted by Rosemarie, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm

The AARP has been the most liberal group since they began. YOU SHOULD REFUSE TO BELONG TO IT. THEY WILL NO LONGER FIGHT FOR THE SENIORS. WITH A 600M CUT IN MEDICARE IN THIS BILL, THEY OUR NOT REPRESENTING SENIORS.

Posted by Jean, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:18 pm

AMEN!!!
More folks should wake up to this one sided propaganda. However, sometimes it has good Web sites to refer to for information.
What ever got us so dependant on Big Pharma for our ills. Look at all of the advertisement in the AARP paper.
Do we not see how many drugs and combinations of them are killing us?
Have you really researched the flu vaccines they want us all to have? Heard of the possible future side effects?
Boost your immune system!

Posted by Trevor Tooze, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I caught on to AARP at least 3 years ago. I had paid a 3year premium. When I cancelled, I demanded my 2 year balance be returned to me, and surprisingly they paid. Seniors are a secondary concern of this organization. They do not really care about us, except making money by endorsements and commissions. Some of the things they tried against the travel industry back fired on them, because hotels offer discounts to seniors in many cases, without the AARP membership card. This latest fiasco, of endorsing this ridiculous health plan hopefully will backfire on them also. They think seniors are like lost sheep, and will follow just follow the AARP Shepherd.

Posted by Trevor Tooze, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I would like to remind readers that may have missed my posting after the election. I was born and raised in the UK. The UK does have a non disguised Communist Party, and have had for all of my memory, and I a in my 70's. On the night of the election, scouring the British news medias, I came across the Daily Worker, which is the newspapaer of the British Communist Party. Headlines were;
"OBAMA WINS, NOW WE HAVE REAL FRIEND IN AMERICA".

Anyone surprised?

Posted by Earl, a resident of Castlewood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm

AARP originally started as a marketing strategy to sell insurance...first and foremost. One would therefore assume their position on health care coverage for all would actually benefit the insurance industries bottom lines. Interesting point to consider.

Posted by Julia, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I can't imagine anyone saying Cholo in becoming a wise man. And it sure appears there are more brain dead folks making off the wall statements. Hey people, AARP has never been for seniors...it's a self serving system just like the crazy bunch of Demo's around the Country.

One more bit of news..."the real wolf in sheep's clothing in Obama". Watch and see...the USA is currently like the Titanic, about 100 miles from the ice berg. If we the level headed folks want this Country to survive we need to take over and take over NOW. This clown and his cronies need to find a more suited for their abilities...zoo keeper's.

Posted by Ken in South Pleasanton, a resident of Downtown
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Interesting how some replies immediately took my concerns about the healthcare bill and AARP's support of same and began dropping the race cards. I agree with others who have commented that many of the most racist people I have met are those who hold themselves out to be the least racist. Obama could calm this growing animosity in the US if he would just stop dropping the race card at every opportunity. I don't care what color he is, he is still doing a lousy job and his politics (which are mostly aimed at building his own ego and stature) are not good for America in the long term. The more I read the text of HR3200, listen to the rhetoric, and study similar progams abroad the more I am convinced that HR3200 will bankrupt our healthcare system and make it more like coverage in lesser nations.

Posted by Brain Dead Demo, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:54 pm

You people are freaking me out.

Posted by aapr eligible, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:59 pm

We've been sent stuff to join AARP and have not. Recently they sent one to my step-daughter (1) she has never lived here; (2) she is under 40. This year they sent it to our son at 18 - just before his 19th birthday.

Personally, I like British HealthCare. I wasn't too fond of the taxes, but it did support the HealthCare and my tuition was $240 a semester if income tax not declared; otherwise $0 In the states tutition was about $3000 a semester (yes, I was accepted at both and stayed in the UK). 20% of every provider's time was for National Health. I'm not sure how that would fly with private insurers but it sounds as if it would be more palitable with not-for-profit and non-profit health care providers.

I would like to see some sort of national health to cover my step-son (his work does not provide coverage) and later my son (pre-existing condition.) I'd rather have people invest their time in preventive medicine and stay home sick vs bringing bugs to work and laying me out for a week when they are only sick a day or two.

I'm not sure if that makes me a liberal. In the UK I'd be a liberal (conservatives would even go for democrates and labor is too much to the left for me.)

AARP is in for their own interests and not a true platform for seniors. Plus their health section D is much more expensive than several others my mother considered and way more than what we can get through our retirement plan at this time (companies can always cancel health benefits - my dad's company did).

Posted by paulrevere, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Martha and Ken-

Here's how to tell when you have struck a liberal nerve- when you get called a racist. Cholo and others- how about point out where Martha and Ken have it wrong based on the facts? She makes a comment that the Obamacare fiasco isnt good for America (slightly more than half of this country agrees, though not a huge majority), and gets called a racist. Straight out of the liberal playback. Dont come back with facts, play the race card. Typical liberal talking points...cant honest Americans diasgree with Mr. Obama without being a racist? I have no issue with Mr. Obama's race. Its the Marxism that bothers me. After that its the inexperience..then there is Jerimiah Wright, Bill Ayers, and a few others.

Take a deep breath,put down the Kool-aid and deal in facts. If you are really correct, it will be easy to see. If not, just play the race card again. Try facts, just once, and see how it goes.

Posted by Stay Cool, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 9:15 pm

A few people made comments about race, yes. But many fewer, even on this thread alone, than the number making comments about socialism, Marxism, destroying America, hating America, and sinister plans. Those in favor of Obama's health care reform plan have been desperately trying to deal in facts. Instead, we are forced to try to argue with people shouting socialism, marxism, communism, zoo keepers, and death panels. So don't try to talk about Kool-Aid and facts. You know nothing about facts - or if you do, you're desperately trying to hide them.
The "Anti-Racism, Anti-Obama" bumper stickers are a bit disingenuous.
Honest Americans can't AGREE with Obama on this forum without being insulted and accused of drinking Kool-Aid. Think for one second, people. If you didn't vote for Obama, fine. Be miserable. Lord knows that many people are miserable many years when their candidate is not elected. That's how it works. But Martha certainly isn't "wise" for stating that Obama has some sort of "clandestine goals." That is idiotic fear-mmongering.

Posted by john, a resident of another community
on Aug 28, 2009 at 9:36 pm

seems like a reasonable request
lets start with some #'s( feel free to dispute them)
Web Link

in my mind, seems we are already half way to public insurance

Posted by Julia, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 28, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Martha has the messiah figured out. The USA Titanic is now 99 mile form the ice berg...one mile closer to disaster and counting. Obama needs to stay on vacation a real long, long vacation.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

‘Much Ado’ or is it Adios for ObamaCare?
By Tom Cushing | 36 comments | 1,171 views

Political posturing about water

Backpacked with care is back