Highway patrol to focus on cell phone users today

Original post made on Aug 25, 2009

The California Highway Patrol on Tuesday will conduct the second zero-tolerance enforcement this month of the state's hands-free cell phone law.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, August 25, 2009, 7:09 AM

Posted by Kim, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:13 am

It's about time they start getting serious with this. I am seeing way to many people still driving with their cell phones in their hands. They try to "hide" it by holding it in their right hand. Thanks CHP and other law enforcement agencies!

Posted by Ingrid, a resident of another community
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:57 am

I am thrilled that the CHP and other law enforcement agencies are taking a stand regarding driving while on cell phones. I am shocked to see how many are not abiding by the law. Every time I am out driving, I see numerous people using their cell phones, with not a care in the world that they are not playing by the rules. Even crazier, I was driving on 880 on Sunday and saw a man driving, no speeding, with his left foot out the driver's window! Yesterday, while driving on 580, I observed a woman merging onto the freeway holding a hamburger box with her left hand while touching the steering wheel and eating a huge burger with her right hand! I hope that the crackdowns of violators will make others think twice before breaking the rules of the road. I wonder sometimes . . .

Posted by Joey, a resident of Foothill High School
on Aug 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm

You can spot a driver on a cell phone a mile away.

Posted by Peter, a resident of Valley Trails
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:20 pm

I would feel better if I didn't see law inforcement using their cell. Do they make their own laws. And yes I know they are exempt if using in the course of businessbut are they? By the way I saw an officer the other day not wearing his seat belt. Whats that.

Posted by Dr. Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

VIVA the HIGHWAY PATROL!

NO MERCY!

Posted by Big Poppa, a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 27, 2009 at 2:25 am

Peter,

Police Officers are exempt from wearing seatbelts while on patrol just like Taxi driver are exempt when they have a fare.

Some Departments make officers wear seatbelts while on patrol. I wear mine all of the time just becasue it's safer.

Posted by Unknows, a resident of Stoneridge
on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:06 am

I been seeing driver holding he/she cell while driving. Sometimes on my left and right side their on cell.(Especially between Stoneridge and Owens, Pleasanton) I hope CHP will catch those people...people ignoring it and that cause accident.

Posted by Law Abider, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:18 am

Unfortunately, today (Aug 27 AM) I saw a CHP Officer talking on his cell phone held up to his ear while driving. He had an 'Out of Service' sign on his back passenger window.. southbound at the Santa Rita/West Las Positas intersection, turning left onto West Las Positas as children were walking to school. It is bad enough that many Officers don't use their turn signals and reinforce the inconsideration of all the idiots that do the same. Now this?

Posted by cholo, a resident of Castlewood Heights
on Sep 13, 2009 at 8:03 pm

cops lay there lives on the line every day and they earn more freedoms than you and I enjoy. When you see a cop using his/her phone why don't you wave and thank them for their service?

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Oct 24, 2009 at 10:08 am

Can someone tell me where we can find documented statistics of cell phones being the direct cause of traffic accidents? Thanks.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.