Healthy Families Program Disenrollment UpdateAugust 14, 2009

Original post made by Very Concerned on Aug 17, 2009

Healthy Families Program Disenrollment UpdateAugust 14, 2009

At its meeting on June 29, 2009, the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board made a finding that sufficient funds were not available to fully cover the estimated costs of the Healthy Families Program (HFP) expenditures for the 2009-10 fiscal year. The Board further determined that it was necessary to limit enrollment in the program to ensure that expenditures do not exceed funding available for the program. A waiting list for new HFP applicants was implemented on July 17, 2009.

Based on the California State Budget signed into law on July 28, 2009, the HFP shortfall is $194 million in state General Funds (GF) and $582 million in total funds for the 2009-10 fiscal year. The California Children and Families Commission (First Five Commission) has made a commitment to provide up to $81.4 million to support the HFP in fiscal year 2009-10. However, at this time, even with the commitment from the state First Five Commission, there remains a shortfall of $112.6 million in state funding ($337.8 million total funds) for the fiscal year.

Therefore, at its August 13, 2009 meeting, the Board made a second finding of insufficient funds. While the Board, the California Health and Human Services Agency (CHHS), the Legislature and other interested parties are all working very hard to obtain additional funding for the HFP, the Board found that, in addition to limiting new enrollment, it is necessary to disenroll children to ensure that expenditures do not exceed the funding available for the program.

Absent additional funding, disenrollment from the HFP would begin with children who have September anniversary dates in the program. The effective date for disenrollment of these children would be October 1, 2009. Children who are disenrolled from the HFP would be placed on the waiting list ahead of new applicants so that those who are still eligible could enroll first if sufficient funding became available to allow new enrollment into the program. Families whose children are going to be disenrolled would receive at least 30 days written notice. Certain children in the California Children's Services (CCS) program (those who are eligible for CCS only because they are enrolled in the HFP) would not be disenrolled.

The Board also directed staff to continue analyzing several cost-cutting ideas and working with the California Health and Human Services Agency (CHHS), the Legislature, the state First Five Commission, local First Five Commissions, foundations and other interested parties to obtain additional funding to supplement the GF appropriation for the HFP. If sufficient additional funding is obtained, the Board's Executive Director has the authority to make a finding of sufficient funding and to suspend the disenrollment process.

The Board has scheduled two additional meetings in August, on August 20 and August 27, to continue their review of cost-cutting proposals and to receive updates on the funding situation for the program.

Please check this website for updates on disenrollment and program funding. For additional information, please contact:

Ginny Puddefoot
Deputy Director, Health Policy, Legislation and External Affairs
Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board
(916) 324-0571
gpuddefoot@mrmib.ca.gov

Posted by Not Concerned, a resident of Country Fair
on Aug 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm

To Very Concerned:
What is there to be 'Very Concerned' about?

Posted by Me Too, a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 17, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what their is to be concerned about. Apparently the federal government is going to take the rest of our money that California didn't get and provide medical coverage so this program is dead in the water anyway. Its funding should be $0.

Posted by What?, a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:21 am

Not concerned.,

Typical arrogant mentality!

"Posted by Not Concerned, a resident of the Country Fair neighborhood, 9 hours ago

To Very Concerned:

What is there to be 'Very Concerned' about?

That there is a government program that can't (won't) spend more than it has funding for?"

How about the 100million a day we spend in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Posted by Mary, a resident of Country Fair
on Aug 18, 2009 at 8:12 am

Why don't you get a job like the rest of us?

Posted by Very Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 18, 2009 at 9:41 am

Wow, what a concerned and empathetic community! You have NO idea what my families circumstances are, or our current or previous work OR business ownership experience is or has been for the last 20 years!

Mary!

"Get a job like the rest of us"

Really, there are so many middle management jobs within 100 miles, that should be REALLY easy.

Would YOU share with me EXACTLY how to LAND one of these jobs?

Health Families is for the WORKING poor and it's not very hard to be "working poor" in these times.

Several people mentioned the spending of funds we do not have. If you would take notice, that's what the Fed and State has been doing for a LONG, LONG, time.

I suppose to endorse spending 100 million a DAY in Iraq, rather that using that 100 million to providing Health Care to 760,000 working families children?

Posted by Janna, a resident of Dublin
on Aug 18, 2009 at 10:04 am

Very Concerned,

Ignore these idiots! I feel your pain. My husband has been out of work for a year and I recently put my kids on HF and Medi-cal.

I lived in Pleasanton from 2001 to earlier this year before we couldn't hold on any longer after the job loss. That town has become a cesspool of right wing tripe! If Mary can't understand how hard it is to a find a job in this economy that will pay all the bills, then she's the biggest idiot of them all!

Good luck finding employment. Just know you are not alone in your situation. There are a lot of us out there.

Posted by Very Concerned., a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 18, 2009 at 10:26 am

Janna,

Thanks for the support from Dublin This IS very REAL and totally unacceptable.
HF will be dumping kids by anniversary date I hear. Also Arnold pulled a FAST ONE as far as Healthy Families as you well know.

Funny, our home IS on the market for MORE reasons than I care to mention here!

Posted by Mary, a resident of Country Fair
on Aug 18, 2009 at 10:48 am

Well if there are no jobs in the area then I would move to where the jobs are even if that means out of state. To sit back and wait for somebody to come to you is futile and you need to get motivated.

Posted by Very Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:26 am

Mary! How the heck do YOU know what I, or any other unemployed person is doing, or not doing to find work? The house IS on the market and I am MORE than willing to relocate! I have Flown all over the Country in my attempt already and will continue to do so!

"To sit back and wait for somebody to come to you is futile and you need to get motivated."

How dare you impose this motherly advise on me and insinuate that I am "waiting for sobody to come to me and that I need to get motivated"!! It appears that YOU have the luxury of sitting on you butt, while a paycheck comes through the fron door perhap?

Thanks SO much for all you community support, or for your supporting my family! We could be friends for all you know?

"Posted by Mary, a resident of the Country Fair neighborhood, 31 minutes ago

Posted by Mary, a resident of Country Fair
on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Posted by Just a neighbor, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Mary,

May the good Lord always protect you and your family from any unexpected events, and may good fortune always smile upon you. And, if somehow, someday, your world is turned upside down and despite the hard work and efforts of you (and spouse, if applicable and he is still able-bodied to work), and your careful savings are drained, I dearly hope that your neighbors and community are (more) sympathetic, understanding, and willing to offer (or not condemn) some temporary generosity to see you through hard times.

No one can say when everything he/she has planned and strived for may change. And no one should be made to feel judged when misfortune strikes and things seem a bit hopeless.

- Just a neighbor

Posted by Very Concerned, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Just a neighbor, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Mary, take a chill pill and look within yourself, PLEASE!

"Posted by Mary, a resident of the Country Fair neighborhood, 4 hours ago
I just do not know how you people can expect the rest of who are working to support you as well. Seems a bit lazy as obviously if you have a computer and time to sit around it you are not doing your best."

Mary, you suggest that YOU and other tax payers are supporting my kids who have been on Healthy Families all of 5 months? Am I mistaking just how much WE as a family have PAID in taxes over the years My million in PAID taxes mean NOTHING according to YOU, because I have been out of work more recently! Good Grief?

I seem a bit lazy to you? I am not doing my best? Who the HELL are you to speak to me in this manner Mary?

We were in a 40% tax bracket for as business owners and 28% in more recent years as employees.

For god's sakes, we have helped MANY people in need over the years in more ways than you would ever imagine. We hosted a family of 5 from Hurricane Katrina and PAID ALL of their expensed for OVER a year for starters!

Its NOT about me or my family, it's about 760,000 children from WORKING FAMILIES, that will be loosing their Health Care!

BTW- Miss employed and not lazy, supporting my family with YOUR hard earned tax dollars, you wrote;" Seems a bit lazy as obviously if you have a computer and time to sit around it you are not doing your best.".

That IS A FRAGMENT! What exactly do YOU do for work?

O.K. don't tell me.

Thanks again for all your support.

Posted by Janna, a resident of Dublin
on Aug 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Next Mary's going to complain about us having enough money to pay for an internet connection, blah, blah, blah. How else do you look for a job?

The implication that we are lazing around on good government money is laughable. $1900/mo from EDD barely covers rent, never mind everything else needed for a family of four. For Mary to imply that we all want to stay on this "salary" rather than getting a job making much better money (six figures, which is what my husband was making before he was laid-off) is even more laughable. We're now living on credit too now and I had no debt before the job loss except for my car loans which would've been paid off in the next year.

Mary, why are you so against a public safety net for people who fall on hard times? Because someone might cheat? I can see how someone might have to in order to make it, especially around here. Maybe you should walk in other people's shoes before you start spouting the "self-responsibility" crap.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.