Of lives lost, and faith in humanity shattered

Original post made by M, Downtown, on Aug 10, 2009

This story contains 1432 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 10, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I will never get involved in an accident scene if there is blood all over. I would not provide mouth to mouth because it is too dangerous. Somebody could have hepatitis or Aids and I prefer to play it safe. Yup...you are on your own if I pass by and see you bleeding or unconscious. I would make an effort to call 911 but nothing more.

What do you mean "tiny little needs"? I've taken good care of myself, why should I put my life at risk? Are you nuts? Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh...I didn't even enjoy reading your story. Get a life!!!

Are you a DRAMA QUEEN or what?

Like this comment
Posted by another viewpoint
on Aug 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Cholo, you are an (Word removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff) and will get what you deserve in this life or the next. It is of no surprise to me that the Pleasantightasses who passed did nothing, not even made a phone call. Look around that town any day and watch them speeding through crosswalks with cellphones in hand. Greed, entitlement and stupidity are the things that make up these people.

Like this comment
Posted by I just work here
a resident of another community
on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:25 pm

M, Thanks you for stopping, and trying to help. When you made the decision to stop, you didn't know your efforts would be futile, but at least you tried. I was driving in a residential area of San Lorenzo once, and saw a man lying in the street, holding a dog on a leash. I stopped and saw he was unconscious. His eyes were wide open, he didn't seem to be breathing, but i felt a slight pulse and started CPR after calling 911 from my cell. I never thought I could do mouthb to mouth on a stranger, but i thought maybe i could save his life. To make a long story short, the man didn't make it--he had a massive heart attack. Some people have said to me that I should not have done the mouth to mouth, but my conscience told me I should try. I'm glad I did. It sounds like you're still traumatized my the experience, not just dealing with the horror of injury and death, but my the coldness and indifference of others to the suffering that you witnessed so personally. We need more people like you, M.

Like this comment
Posted by M
on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Don't get mad at Cholo, he is just doing his thing. I assume he is a male, I could be wrong though.

-For I just work here

Actually I hadn't thought about that incident for quite some time, until I slammed my bad knee into the back of my desk at work today, and it reminded me of it. So I thought I would share,it was indeed the coldness of others that really sticks in my mind and bothers me to this day, it is a real shame to see people acting like that. At the same time though I wouldn't expect anyone to go and expose themselves to potential diseases, it was just a snap decision I had to make at the time. At least make the call, stop and assess the situation, and do what you can, if anything. In the end at least make the choice to stop and make the call, that in itself would be a big step for people, a step in the right direction.

Like this comment
Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I now understand that it is not necessary to do mouth to mouth anymore. You do 30 chest compressions per min. this is suppose to help the breathing and keep the blood flowing. If you feel it is necessary to give a breath. Do it. But the chest compressions are the most importent even if you break ribs. I have stopped and rendered help many years ago, and was the one to do the chest . A nurse did the mouth to mouth untel a crash cart could be brought out to the parking lot at Kaiser W.C. The person servived , Thank goodness. It would help if everyone took the time to take a first aid course and learned the true stories and the myths about CPR.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I think that some people expect others to be crazy. I've heard so much about contaminated human blood and especially HIV and Hepatitis that I wouldn't stop to help if I perceived a risk to my well being. I don't care what you decide to do. I just don't think that it's appropriate to place myself at risk. What's so wrong with that? duh...

If you want to be a HERO, be my guest. Besides, so many of you don't even care if millions of Americans have healthcare or not. Lots of people die annually because they don't have health care. Now that is something I can support. Also, many of the people involved in fatal accidents are intoxicated on alcohol/drugs. If they want to stay alive, my advice is that they don't use/drink if want to avoid accidents. Problem solved!

I have no sympathy for people that drink/drunk and drive. Sorry mes petites, but fair is fair. My advice is that if there is blood all over the place, DO NOT assume that you are safe.

Problem solved! Moveon.com!

Like this comment
Posted by been there
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:38 am

you must be alone and very very afraid Cholo and thats far more painful a life that i could ever stand.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:46 am

Not alone & not afraid. Just not stupid.

22,000 Americans die annually because they do not have health insurance. What are you doing to protect them, help them? nada...people are showing up at town hall mtgs. and screaming no health care for everybody....if you want to mix it up with blood that's not yours, I don't care! tee hee hee, tee hee hee...

you must be very alone, afraid and stupid...hahahahahahaha

are you a terrorist? hmmmmmmmmmmm....