Small-Minded Attacks on Kathleen

Original post made by John Adams, Amador Valley High School, on Jul 3, 2009

"Great people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about things.
Small people talk about other people."

Kathleen Ruegsegger talks about ideas. Her concerns about PUSD's fiscal management are valid, and her perspective is unique and valuable. Let's talk about her ideas, not about her personal life.

Posted by Alison
on Jul 3, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Great post!

Kathleen said on another thread that we should write to the School Board. I think she is 100% correct.

Anyone have thoughts on what should be said?

Again, great post, "John Adams" (btw, I loved your HBO series!)

Posted by Parent
on Jul 3, 2009 at 4:23 pm

John Adams is a voice of reason.
Great post.
Alison, think we should ask the board to follow the PUSD motto and put the kids first. Also, it seems like it would be a good idea to bring in a non-pusd accountant to review the budget and make suggestions. Any accountants out there willing to donate some time?

Posted by Ben Franklin
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jul 3, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Since when are we not allowed to post our opinions here, when you don't agree with them?

I agree personal attacks are not necessary, but Kathleen chooses to post her full name, and chooses to post repeatedly. Many times she posts good ideas, but equally posts inaccurate information about PUSD while using her name as an authority on the subject. People are questioning her motive for doing this, and they have a right to. Many false assumptions were made due to accusatory nature of her posts and a lot of people are very upset that she continues to be instrumental in the false attacks against the district.

Just as you, John Adams, had a right to criticize teachers for organizing the wearing of certain colors to school, bloggers have the right to call her on it. It is the free speech you are such a champion for.

Posted by Very Concerned
on Jul 3, 2009 at 5:33 pm

"Ben Franklin", please list the "inaccurate information about PUSD" you allege KR has posted.

Posted by Practical Parent
on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I think KR has provided a wealth of information and resources that she is aware of both from her past employment here and current employment in Palo Alto. I really appreciate the education she has provided me and anyone else willing to read her posts with an open mind. Keep it up Kathleen! And don't let these posters like Ben get to you with these vague, open-ended accusations. Some have acused you of having an agenda. I would LOVE to see you have an agenda---running for school board Nov. '10!

BTW, the district motto is no longer "Kids Come First." Check out the home web page Web Link and you will find this is the new motto "Building on the past . . .Planning for the future." Hmmmmmmm......who's future?

Posted by Still waiting
on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:01 pm

"please list the "inaccurate information about PUSD" you allege KR has posted"

Oh, that's easy. How about this: Web Link

She says "What they downplay, however, is that Pleasanton schools will receive $8.1 million in federal stimulus money to directly offset state cuts to education, prevent layoffs and save CSR."

This was in the May 29th PW. Of course at that point it was known for over two weeks about the Governor's May 14 revise and that PUSD would be receiving additional massive cuts on top of the original 9.7 million. An estimated resulting 17 - 19 million total state cuts. I frequently questioned why this was being omitted in these discussions prior to June 2nd.

Posted by Still waiting
on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Oh and I agree - personal attacks are distasteful and unacceptable.

Posted by stop the lies
on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:22 pm

John Adams and Ben Franklin are fictional characters. Do you believe everything you read in the history books? That's is like calling what happens after an earth quake an aftershock. Put it this way: If I'm walking down the street and someone whips my ass, then later on I'm walking down the street and he whips my ass again, that's not an aftershock, that's an ass whippin'.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 3, 2009 at 8:36 pm

kathy is not a pushover. she can take care of herself on this blog. butt out!

Posted by mary
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 5, 2009 at 5:47 am

Great thread, John Adams. I, too, admire K.R. and found the personal assaults insulting to the higher intellectual level. She never lowered herself to that. Neither should her opponents.

Therein lies the difference.

No need to butt out. Everyone enjoys a bit of support. Bolsters ones constitution!

Posted by What?
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:26 am

Kathleen is what, a receptionist at PAUSD? Does she have any idea how to run a school district? Has she ever worked in a management position? Does she have any education herself? What are her credentials? All she does it take sophomoric pot shots at decisions made by the PUSD. No depth. No understanding.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Kathleen is a resident of Pleasanton. She has a right to express her opinion just like anyone else. She is also willing to put her name on her posts. To me, that is worth something in and of itself.

The fact is that we almost never know who is posting on these forums, nor what their credentials are. To me, that means we have to form our own views based on the reasons given by others for their opinions.

She has also been pointed but always polite when presenting information that supports her opinions and contradicts or is inconsistent with opinions expressed by others.

Kathleen and I do not always disagree, but we respect each others' points of view. Calling her names is not going to stop me for considering what she has to say.

Posted by Very Concerned
on Jul 8, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Thank you Sandy - a first class blog entry!

Posted by Alison
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Sandy,

As usual - well said.

I don't always agree with everything you say, but I can say for sure I always agree with way you state it!

Posted by What?
on Jul 8, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Sandy,

You said "... but always polite ...". I disagree.

"... Calling her names ..."

What names did I call her?

I offered a critique. You are welcome to post a rebuttal if you like.

Let me give you an analogy. Let's say a receptionist at a surgery ward in a hospital overhears conversations between doctors on a day to day basis. Then that receptionist gets on a blog and posts medical advice based on what she overheard. Would anyone take that advice seriously?

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jul 8, 2009 at 10:57 pm

What? I am a former board member and have worked directly with board members and superintendents for nearly 15 years. I served on a legislative action committee and served as a parent club president and on a school site council. As part of my job, I read all the same materials board members receive, including information from the state. I post information and their appropriate links. I've contacted the current elected officials with my concerns. This has all been said before.

I am at least as credible as anyone else posting on these blogs. People can check what I say and do their own research. And are welcome to disagree.

I'm not advising anyone on how to educate children, which would be the direct correlation to your surgery analogy. I've been talking about taxpayer dollars and their use/misuse. Sadly, some choose to use anonymity to respond while being unnecessarily personal. Thankfully, others are looking for common ground; I hope that is where we can find the solutions.