PUSD District Administrators Get Jobs Back

Original post made by Peter, Birdland, on Jun 21, 2009

Business as usually at PUSD: If you have not looked at the Board agenda for Monday night, take a look, yes Monday night (trying to pull a fast one on the community). You will note a new Management Assistant position is being created at the district office, which is a disguise for Public Information Officer, which was a district office position cut. You will note that the Coordinator of Career Tech Ed is being brought back. The district wants you to think that this position is funded by outside sources, so why did it get cut in the first place? In reality only 50% is funded by outside sources (for how long?), the other 50% is district funded. The Coordinator of Information Services is brought back. The district's reason will will be that the district is getting paid by other Districts to do other distict's data workload. What is the benefit for PUSD? Other districts workload means less time for PUSD workload.

Shame on the board and Dr. Casey for telling all of us that district office would be the last positions restored. What happened to making sure campuses are safe and all programs are in tact? Why should this community donate anything to the newly created fund raising efforts, when district administration does not listen to the people! What happened to the recommendations of the budget committee? BUSINESS AS USUALLY - Administration directs the board.

It is time for this community to come to the Board meeting or call your board member before Monday night. This is not fair to our kids education. Our kids safety is at risk! Why not bring back Vice Principals first? Why not restore all teaching positions first? Why not restore all educational programs first?

Posted by Anonymous
on Jun 22, 2009 at 6:35 am

I was not aware of that. It is not a good idea for the board and district to be doing this, especially now that the fundraising is going on. I have already donated, but I am now reluctant to give more support knowing that there is money for administrators, yet there is no money for programs? What a shame!

Posted by pro-PIO but
on Jun 22, 2009 at 7:09 am

The PIO position seems to be an odd one for a community to understand as being needed, at least in my opinion. I wondered about this when it appeared on the cut list. I think what people don't understand is how much a community relies on a PIO. We (especially us parents) want information quickly when a kid commits suicide or there's a mountain lion sighting or there's an outbreak or there's a state budget crisis impacting programs or there's an attempted child abduction. It seems to be the kind of position people hate to pay for yet when it's gone in that critical moment, people get really ticked that they just weren't informed about, whatever, say Swine Flu and whether schools are staying open.

The poster says "which is a disguise for Public Information Officer"

How do you know this is so? I would like to understand this. If true, I would agree that shuffling the position in this manner without an open dialogue isn't the best choice.

I can't speak about the Coordinator of Career Tech Ed as I have no idea what this position is.

Posted by No on G
on Jun 22, 2009 at 8:18 am

If this is true, then there should be a little "crazy" coming from this community.

If people are livid with those of us that could see the fiscal irresponsibility of this district for what it was and wanted to see a little responsibility restored before giving more money, well, you should now also see why.

Now that you folks are ponying up more cash without any contracts or expectations, you should be outraged.

A PIO? How about the Superintendent assume this position since he is the one that allowed the budget to get out of control. He could humble himself and get out in front of this district and be the face for now. We've had enough money cut and if the district suddenly "found" money, it needs to go towards the programs the community wants.

Dr. Casey cannot lead by example if he is the one dragging this district down.

Posted by Rae
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:00 am

The issue isn't whether or not one of the new position is a PIO in disguise. The issue is:

Why is the District creating or re-opening ANY new positions at this time, before, as Peter stated, "making sure campuses are safe and all programs are intact". Where is the funding coming from? Are the educational foundations, PPIE and PSEE who are now raising money for the schools, funding administrative salaries and benefits rather than programs for our kids? Or is PUSD just counting on these funds and trying to come in the back door to fund administrative positions. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather see programs and teachers funded ahead of administrative positions.

Maybe now the pro-G folks who were so quick to aim their outrage at their neighbors, will stand up and redirect their ire where it always should have been - towards the lack of leadership and fiscal irresponsibility of Superintendent Casey and the board.

Posted by tired of it
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:45 am

Once again, you jump to the conclusion that a "fast one" is being pulled, escalating the emotions of those who read this. Yet you have no idea what these positions are for and the validity of them. You want PUSD the second largest employer in Pleasanton to run by itself! Then when you are not given correct communication it is their fault. Stop the emotional escalation of lies. PUSD is nothing but professional, your portrayal,and everyone taking "blogs" as truth is the real sham. This is what happened with measure G, to the point where "blog facts" are now considered truth. Stop the distrust of PUSD, the blogs should earn your distrust with posts like this one.

Posted by Sara
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Jun 22, 2009 at 10:35 am

Very simple, just read the agenda it is posted on the district's web site, look at the board packet (part 1), item 11.1. Then draw your own conclusions.

Web Link

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 22, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

tired of it,

I think you miss the point. How is the District able to create new administrative positions when they're laying off teachers?

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 22, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

tired of it wrote: "Yet you have no idea what these positions are for and the validity of them."

If the position was so important, why was it on the cut list?

Posted by Remember to donate
on Jun 22, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Remember the fund raising drives kicking off this Thursday.

@"No on G" and Peter,

Posted by tired of it
on Jun 22, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Stacey- you have good questions, although you miss my point. People posting opinions like the "district is pulling a fast one, everyone should be up in arms", then others taking this as fact is a problem. I would hope to see you at the Board meeting tonight so you can ask those questions.

Posted by Rae
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jun 22, 2009 at 2:12 pm

It would be Pleasanton's loss if those who demand leadership, accountability, and fiscal responsibility from the PUSD board moved to another community. We value our schools, teachers and kids, and hold them to a standard of excellence. Why should we expect anything less from Superintendent Casey and the board?

Posted by Resident
on Jun 22, 2009 at 2:13 pm

On June 9, the district eliminated two coordinators for the visual performing arts. In february, they eliminated positions, increased class sizes, eliminated strings and band in elementary, reduced the number of counselors, the list goes on.

Why would they reinstate the PIO instead of two teachers? or counselors? or the band and strings program in elementary?

For that post that says the PIO is important: no doubt, but more important are people who work directly with the students. If there is money to reinstate one or two positions, let it be reading specialists, teachers, a program, but not the PIO.

I donated already, and now the district does this? This is outrageous.

Posted by tired of it
on Jun 22, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Myla Grasso- the district's PIO, is being moved to a position that is being vacated by a layoff. These are not newly created positions. She has been with the district for a number of years and has seniority. Many district personnel are now taking on multiple positions to cover those who were laid off. The trickle down effect of this will definitely be felt in classrooms across the district.

What is outrageous is the fact that Peter can post his opinion, filled with assumptions and false information, and it can be taken as fact. Creating a false assumption that the administration is being sneaky is outrageous. Doubting that PUSD is not doing their job after they just reduced the budget by millions is outrageous. The distrust of the administration and the board came over the last five months due to posts just like this one and it is outrageous. Shame on you Peter, taking your words, for working to discredit a highly successful school district.

Posted by No on G
on Jun 22, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Hi Remember to donate,

You said to me, "Don't you think you'd be happier living in another community. I don't think Pleasanton has what you are looking for."

No, I don't think I'd be happier. This community has everything we want, and the additional bonus of apparently making people like you miserable!

Get real and suck it up - not everyone agrees with you, so? If you want a community that looks and behaves just like you, take a trip back in time to Nazi Germany. To quote you, "...(It) has what you are looking for."

Thanks for caring about how I feel, neighbor!!

Posted by Resident
on Jun 22, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Tired of it:

My understanding is that management is not in a union. So even if the PIO has seniority, that does not mean anything, it is not like with the unions, where one senior teacher gets to displace a younger one. There is no need to look for another position for a person who was laid off if that person is management. They are not in a union - please correct me if I am wrong, and show me where you get the information.

The PIO position was eliminated to save money. If the district is simply moving person A to position B, that is not a cut in management.

What is next? Cancel Casey's car stipend just to turn around and give him lunch stipend? How is that saving money?

We have better things to do with the money than to re-hire administrators who were laid off: hire teachers back, reinstate a program....it is fiscally irresponsible to keep management when programs are being canceled, teachers let go, etc.

I am not going to email the board but I will watch to see what they say and do. I am hoping that the board members have good common sense and they should know how this will look, and how it can potentially affect any fundraising or any future hopes of a parcel tax.

Posted by Remember to donate
a resident of another community
on Jun 22, 2009 at 5:40 pm

@No on G

You don't sound to happy to me and that is sad. There are plenty of nearby communities that may have a more social and political climate more agreeable to you. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe you feel unwelcome here because so many people disagree with you. Pleasanton is changing.

Posted by tired of it
on Jun 22, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Resident,

I am glad you are following the budget issue, and you are asking good questions. But you have to understand that “management" in education is crucial. Without them, teachers cannot do their job. This year, the administration took severe cuts- millions of dollars in savings, just look through past board meeting minutes. Job A is still there, but the people who filled the positions for job B, C, and D are now gone, so A will be taking over since you can't simply eliminate the job. This is the case with the PIO. They are not part of a union, but as people are let go, they have to rearrange those left in order to cover crucial positions. (i.e. the director of testing was let go, but we still have State testing to comply with- someone has to do the job.)
The district personnel are having to take on multiple positions, as I stated before. It would be irresponsible of management to cut programs, people, and not have a way to still get the enormous jobs they leave behind done.
PUSD said they would make cuts, they did, and it is a big hit to the district. This did not have to do with their fiscal irresponsibility like many posters wanted you to believe. Just like Peter wanted you to believe there was a scam going on here and there isn't. There never has been.

Posted by No on G
on Jun 22, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Hi Remember to donate,

I really feel special that you have chosen me (and Peter in a post above) to care about in your posts and that you went so far in your idealogy to encourage me to move out of Pleasanton. Thank you for your insincerity.

I think what is really "sad" is that someone like you would do that. Instead of demonstrating inclusiveness and modeling cohesion in our town, you choose to tell someone to move elsewhere for their well being and protection from your intolerance. I think it is most unfortunate that you are incapable of working together with others to benefit a community. Sad.

Hide behind pseudo-empathy all you want, but Pleasanton isn't unlike anywhere in the Bay Area - I know, I've lived here all my life South, North, East Bay and on the Peninsula. What is important to any community isn't uniformity...it's collective voices of all kinds. I guess you don't like others unlike you. How sad you are as a human being.

Maybe you don't understand that in your mind, I mean, your world? But then, that doesn't make you "sad", it makes you pathetic.

Cheers, neighbor!

Posted by Original Joe
on Jun 22, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Geeze...again with the "MOVE OUT"...you gotta do better than that. If you are in disagreement, then you need to attack the issue points, but this "MOVE OUT" crap just doesn't make it.

Posted by WoW
on Jun 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm

The Constitution says that PRIVATE MILITIA can take up arms and remove BAD Government!

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 23, 2009 at 6:41 am

Here is the budget presentation: Web Link

Here is the financial report presentation:
Web Link

I was unable to access the packet, so I can't see if this was listed as a special meeting (not on their regular Tuesday) and whether action was taken last night on the budget, nor what was on the personnel documents.

In the middle of fundraising, it seems odd to be choosing district positions over those positions the community has already stated are a priority.

Posted by Mike B
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:42 am

Web Link

PUSD isn't the only place they like to waste money. This is becoming all too typical, you don't get what you pay for.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 23, 2009 at 8:03 am

Stacey is a registered user.

MikeB,

Ouch. Next the unions there will get legislation made requiring these rubber rooms to have decent furniture instead of cardboard boxes for tables.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jun 23, 2009 at 8:05 am

Hi Kathleen,

I was at the meeting last night, because I wanted to hear the presentation about how negotiations work in CA. The presentation on PERB was useful... I'll try to post about it later this week.

I too was surprised that the meeting was moved from Tuesday to Monday!

They did vote in the budget.

But they deferred consideration of the creation or recreation of several administrative positions. There's still time to influence their decision-making, as I noted in a new thread, here:

Web Link

The board kept referring to a "meeting on the 29th" which isn't on the website either, so I'm going to try to find out if those deferred items will be voted on at a June 29 meeting, or if they will wait till August 15.

Posted by Seems Simple to Me
a resident of Castlewood
on Jun 23, 2009 at 10:19 am

I don't usually add comments here but why on earth would anyone be re-creating or adding new positions with the District's current financial situation.
I've come to the conclusion that some people just can't stop spending! I bet there are employees down at the District that could handle taking on additional tasks in lieu of "creating" any new positions. No one is THAT busy at work. You gotta do what you gotta do when times are tough!

Posted by joe
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 23, 2009 at 12:02 pm

You said it very well. The school district takes care of their own not your children.

Posted by Yo Joe
on Jun 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm

You seem to care more about your money than children. I don't see any comments from you regarding education or what the PUSD does right or wrong regarding teaching.

Businesses add positions all the time, even when they are cutting other positions. Have you guys ever worked in a real business, or do you just collect welfare checks?

Posted by OMG
on Jun 23, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I can't believe how low so many of you go in sharing your 'points of view'. I used to read these blogs to get information to help me come to my own conclusions. My new conclusion is that most of the bloggers here are nuts!

Posted by Yo OMG
on Jun 23, 2009 at 8:53 pm

You're catching on. Maybe PW should charge a fee. I think that would at least get rid of some of the adolescents. I know I wouldn't be doing these posts if I had to pay for them. I would take the time to write something intelligent.