Are we a great group of parents?

Original post made by Neighbor, Downtown, on Jun 12, 2009

Ask yourself, are we a great group of parents? When I was growing up in a similar community,(Palo Alto, CA)parents and neighbors got along very well. Although some were Democrat and some republican, there was never this sense of division and anger. It was really hard to tell what political beliefs people had, because for the most part, unity and community came first. These days, especially pre and post election, folks seem to be very opinionated, one sided, and hostile towards one another, teachers, parents and even business people. Deep inside, we all wan't the same thing, to be happy and healthy, to contribute to society, and to have some fun. It is so sad to see even kids as young as 1st grade get into arguments over politics. How we act and treat one another is more important than what political party we belong to, and or our religious views. Our children see how we act, there hear what we say and they model their behavior and belief system after us.

Posted by I agree
on Jun 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Neighbor,

I totally agree with you here. This is more than sad for our well being and our childrens well being. Most of the anger is from folks that seem to be worshiping money as the end to the means. Meaning, being so vain about taxes and or programs that help people in need. Often times, these very people contributed to society greatly and ere going through a tough time. Most "Pleasantonians" have no idea, that most of the population on the planet, as well as a massive number of families in the U.S. live in poverty.

Posted by I disagree
on Jun 12, 2009 at 2:21 pm

"I agree" you seem to have put this in a nutshell for us; the world would be great except for those mean, child hating people who don't want any more tax increases. If they would only hand-over their money we would be living in Utopia. You're right and anyone who disagrees with you is the cause of all problems. Way to go!

Posted by Get a grip
on Jun 12, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Nobody in the united states starves to death and if you are so concerned why don't you just give all your money to the service of your choice?

Posted by Parent of Two
a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 12, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Parent of Two is a registered user.

Absolutely. The great majority of the parents that I've met are great parents. Just because people argue on an internet message board (horrors!) doesn't mean they are uncivil in person or at school functions or sporting events.

If you just read the Internet, I can understand why you'd be pessimistic about the direction of this country, state, and city. If you leave the house to walk along Main Street, possibly catch a concert in the park, or drink a beer at the Hopyard, you'd realize that PEOPLE in this area are fine.

I know that 60% of the city voted for a parcel tax that had no logical reason to exist. That doesn't mean they are terrible people or idiots. They saw a way to help the schools financially, and voted in favor of a badly planned tax-and-spend measure. They're not any better or worse than the people who vote against any and all taxes.

We're all Pleasantonians (well, except Cholo and Privatize). This board appears to be a catharsis for many of the citizens, a way to vent opinions so that they feel like they're heard, so they won't have to blurt it out in a public venue. As such, it serves a purpose to make Main Street a little happier.

Posted by I am
on Jun 12, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I am an intentional parent. I sacrifice for my children, and I demonstrate and make every effort to instill morals, values, and civility in them even when the choice is difficult.

I follow the principles in the Bible and model myself and our home after Jesus Christ and I trust in him alone.

I'm not perfect, but I make choices that are consistent with a honored and proven belief system and for that I have been blessed.

My walk with God, my marriage and my children are my top priority and I think that is something to continue to aspire to and be proud of! :)

I see many of these same qualities in most of my neighbors. Are you one of them?

Posted by PToWN94566
on Jun 13, 2009 at 11:45 am

PToWN94566 is a registered user.

It looks like the Pleasanton bubble has truly had an effect on it's citizens when people say things like "Nobody in the united states starves to death." How naive and ignorant to assume that all people in the U.S. have enough money to buy food.