County board cuts stipend, puts 3-month time limit on aid to needy

Original post made on Jun 10, 2009

The Alameda County Board of Supervisors, which is facing a $180 million budget deficit, voted 3-2 Tuesday to revise its general assistance program in an effort to save $12 million.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 6:24 AM

Posted by Get Over It!
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Hallelujah!!!
Let's see, limiting handouts for people who are EMPLOYABLE. They might actually feel it necessary to get a JOB.
If this concept had been in place a year or two ago, perhaps we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

"You don't want to work, want to live like a king.
Well the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing!"
- The Eagles, Song: "Get Over It!"

Posted by Robert
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Oh no now I can only play golf 4 days a week instead of 7 and might have to get a job.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:09 pm

[Post removed due to excessive and/or repetitive post by same poster]

Posted by la Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm

[Post removed due to excessive and/or repetitive post by same poster]

Posted by Fed up
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm

We need to cut services to people who want to enjoy all the benefits taxes bring but don't want to pay for them. There should be more "pay as you go"-type of services. Need an ambulance? You'll need to pay for it. Got a burglar coming through your windows? Better be prepared for a bill from the police department!

Posted by Finally
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I am a conservative (good thing you can't throw things at me from behind your computer!)and I want reform. I just want people to start learning to fish for themselves.

Seriously, if you are an elderly person who has no family, can't work, and need help, I want you to have it. If you are a child whose family has harmed you, I want you to have help.

If you are a 40 year old person who can work, won't work, and think you can keep stealing from me, then I don't want you to have it no matter what your background is. Mine isn't pretty either, but I'm working and expect you to do the same. Get a job. It doesn't have health benefits? Then get another and buy it privately through Kaiser.

Oakland, Hayward, etc are milking this county for all it is worth. I've had enough, and I am finally hopeful that the trough is ending for a bunch of people who are no better than common criminals.