Who paid for all those Yes on G signs?

Original post made by Ken in South Pleasanton on May 31, 2009

It is interesting to see all the Yes on G signs around town. These are not cheap hand-painted grass-roots signs stapled to a stick. They are slick signs that are just another example of the poor fiscal responsibility exhibited by those who support G. Probably the same people who approved this special costly one-issue election we are having on Tuesday. Put a stop to this nonsense and require fiscal responsiblity and accountability from PUSD. I'm voting No on G.

Posted by Mom2, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Donations from private citizens who support the measure.

Posted by KGM, a resident of Valley Trails
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:37 am

It would be very easy for you to find out who paid for those signs without posting a misleading, unresearched comment on a public blog stating that Measure G supporters exhibit "poor fiscal responsibility." People who support the measure paid for those signs through private contributions. It's not from district funds or taxpayer dollars.

A fiscally responsible, Yes on G voter.

Posted by Who paid, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 1, 2009 at 10:04 am

Signs were paid for by private citizens. Some school PTAs also paid for the signs and ads with PTA funds.
People can do with their money what they want to do, but my opinion is that the money raised by SPS would have been better spent to save the Barton Reading program.

Posted by John Adams, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jun 1, 2009 at 10:19 am

Since SPS bought the signs, and since they have spent more than $1000 on their campaign, they have to report both their donations and their expenditures to the state's Fair Political Practices Commission. Those who feel that information is important can do their own research. Personally, it's enough for me that SPS and some PTA organizations have spent money intended to benefit kids on a political campaign for a very questionable issue.

What the school district HAS spent our tax money on is consultants who tell them how to run a campaign to get more tax money so they can pay more consultants to tell them how to get more tax money... etc.

Posted by Who paid, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 1, 2009 at 10:48 am

I do not plan on donating any more money to the PTA because I donated my money to support my child's school, not to be used for any political campaign.
I plan on ignoring the PTA booth at next year's registration and will donate the money I would have given them to the Barton Reading program or the school library.

Posted by Not Right Now, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:14 am

Who Paid,

I found myself feeling the same as you are now. I'm not certain if my children's School PTA donated $$ to SPS, but if they did, I missed the meeting where they voted on whether or not to donate. In fact, I haven't been to a single meeting as a PTA member.

Because I supported Measure G early on, I probably would have voted to donate PTA funds along with all the other parents. It wasn't until the measure G opposition presented some eye-opening facts that I changed my tune and voted No.

What I learned in the past few months is that I am accountable for not going to the meetings and voting on certain items. I had to stop being angry for something I might have been able to have a voice in.

That being said, I will continue to support my children's PTA with my annual donations, and you better bet that I will be at every single meeting as an active PTA participant.

Posted by Who paid, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:37 am

Right on,
I am guilty of not following school board meetings and asking questions about how money has been spent. I think I'm like a lot of people who didn't worry about how the money was being spent, who trusted the district, because there wasn't a budget problem. Now there is, and I'm finding out things about the district spending that I don't like. I never knew that so many people were getting car allowances! What bothers me now is that with all the talk about the district not having money, those allowances weren't cut out completely. I didn't know that the district had spent down their reserves. I stopped following the school board meetings after Juanita Haugen passed away.
I did vote against my school's PTA contributing to SPS, but was outvoted. I talked to our PTA president and that's when I found out that they can make donations from PTA funds to political campaigns or any cause they want to support. I thought the money could only be used for programs at our school. Live and learn.
I support many of the programs the PTA has supported - with my donations and volunteering. But from now on, I feel more comfortable making my donations directly to the school.
After voting against giving PTA money to SPS, I haven't been very welcome by the PTA crowd anyway!

Posted by Bill, a resident of Pleasanton Village
on Jun 1, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Union money.

Posted by bel, a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I thought the PTA money was going to be used for the kids? I guess I was misled.

Its wrong to use it for political signs especially when there are budget issues and the classrooms and programs for the kids need it more.

Posted by bel, a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Is there a list of which PTAs have given money from the funds to campaigns? I want to keep giving to the school, but do not want it to go towards political campaigns.

Posted by KGM, a resident of Valley Trails
on Jun 1, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Before anyone decides not to donate to their school's PTA/PFC next yeat, I would encourage you to do the following:

1. Find out if your school's PTA/PFC actually even did contribute funds toward the campaign

2. Find out when the vote on whether or not to do this was held, and consider where your voice was in that vote.

PTAs/PFCs provide extremely important funds and services to our schools, and every parent has the opportunity to be involved. This is definitely not the time to take punitive action against these committees (which will really be against the students) because of misinformation or personal lack of involvement.

Posted by Who paid, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 1, 2009 at 6:08 pm

The important thing is to continue to support the kids and the schools. I am not suggesting anyone stop doing that. I am suggesting that if parents don't want money they donate to the schools to be used for political campaigns, don't donate to the PTA - donate directly to your school's library, music program or athletic program. Ask teachers for their wish lists and buy them things they need for their classroom.
If you donate directly to the schools, your donation is a donation and is tax deductible.
When you pay your PTA membership, your membership fee is a fee and isn't tax deductible and part of what you pay doesn't stay at your home school but goes to the California PTA.
For people who want to support their schools, and want control over what political campaigns or charities their money supports, donating directly to the schools is their best choice.
Bel, I know that Mohr and Harvest Park donated to SPS, but to find out if your school donated to SPS, contact them because that information isn't on their website. They only list schools that endorsed Measure G, not which schools gave funds to SPS.

Posted by Bel, a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 2, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Asking the school would most likely put me on bad terms with them since they all support G. (I'm already getting dirty looks from a clique of parents who overheard me questioning issues regarding G and I don't want to make things hard for my kid.)

Posted by Bel, a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm

The wishlist route seems like the safest way to make sure whats given goes where it should, thanks for the suggestion.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.