Will Measure G pass?

Original post made by Concerned Student, Valencia, on May 27, 2009

This is not a question of whether you want it to pass or not, but whether you think it will pass? Will the school board's special election mean that (as they hope) those who want it to pass will vote? Will we follow in the footsteps of our surrounding cities? Will we follow precedent of having passed every other parcel tax that has come before our city? Things to think about.

So PW readers, do you think the parcel tax will pass and why? Please cite any sources you may use.

Posted by I care
on May 27, 2009 at 12:06 pm

If motivated volunteers get out the vote next Tuesday, Measure G has a fair chance of winning. Realize the bar is very high – two-thirds of the voters need to approve it. My gut tells me it will fail. The measure was poorly written and the district has been poorly run, from a district administration perspective.
With that said, I believe our schools operate very well. For this, I thank the teachers, students, parents, community volunteers, business supporters and campus administrators. I honestly believe the top administrators need to be held accountable.

Posted by No on G
on May 27, 2009 at 12:09 pm

As an informal poll, I would say No it won't.

Aside from my position on the measure, which is against the measure, I say No because only 40% of Pleasanton's demographic has school aged children. We are "outnumbered" by non-children households.

That said, I am a homeowner, a parent of children enrolled in PUSD and I am voting no on G. I am sure there are some residents without children in PUSD who will vote yes.

Based simply on the demographic of Pleasanton families, it is a 60-40 against the measure, IMHO.

Posted by G whizz
a resident of Ruby Hill
on May 27, 2009 at 1:14 pm

My guess is that it fails. I also guess that the world keeps spinning and Pleasanton children in public schools still are well taught. A final guess is that teachers and the public still will complain, and never understand how lucky they all are to be here. No soup kitchens for teachers in the near future.

Posted by other guesses
on May 27, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I guess that if Measure G fails, the School Board will insist that PUSD eliminate car allowances, cell phones, and all the other fat in the budget, and no PUSD employee will quit in protest.

Posted by Einstein
a resident of Mohr Elementary School
on May 27, 2009 at 3:33 pm

If everyone votes it will not have a chance but I suspect since it is the only thing on the ballot the get out the vote yes people will make it pass because they are motivated and will show up. At the end of the day even if it passes it will have no impact on the brewing crisis and will just be like spitting in the ocean and only give raises to the teachers but not impact the kids at all. I hope it is worth it because in reading these blogs the anti teacher sentiment is there like never before.

Posted by Beth
on May 27, 2009 at 4:40 pm

It might pass, but the anger it will generate in the community will cost the district in the long run. Short sited greed is an unflattering look on anyone even if it is dressed up in pink.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 27, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I think it will fail. Coming off the general sentiment from the state measures paired with the recent outrage over raises paid out to Financial companies receiving taxpayer bailout money, I think people have had enough of the excuses. Not to mention state sales tax has already been raised as well as DMV registration fees. The Federal government is also looking for new ways to generate revenue for its social program expansion. Measure G is one of the few tax increases we have control over. Maybe if Measure G actually called for some equitable solutions to the budget problems it might pass, but as salary increases are still planned for, forget it.

Posted by Parent
a resident of Castlewood
on May 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm

It will pass because people will realize that cell phones are not the problem and that this is our districts opportunity to take control of some of our own destiny!
Yes on G!!!!!!!

Posted by Fletch
on May 27, 2009 at 6:40 pm

We cannot take control of our own destiny if school management is unwilling to open union contract negotiations. Freeze salaries FIRST and reduce expenses like cell phones before asking us for money.

I don't know if it will fail or not but I am voting NO and hope it doesn't pass.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 27, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Sandy is a registered user.

Cell phone costs have been reduced, in response to Valerie Arkin's questions. About $30,000, I think? Maybe more?

I believe the measure will get more than 50% of the vote. Whether it will top 66.7%? I'll be awaiting the board of election's results eagerly next Tuesday night.

Posted by NO ON G
on May 27, 2009 at 7:24 pm

If it passes it will be like gas - leaving behind a horrible stink.

Posted by Einstein
a resident of Mohr Elementary School
on May 27, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I want to take back my earlier comment on it passing as for some reason I thought it only required 50% but now that it dawned on me that it requires 2/3 I do not believe it has a chance.

Posted by Big Mike
a resident of Del Prado
on May 27, 2009 at 7:45 pm

There is no way in HE double hockey sticks that this will pass. People are sick of tired of taxes and most now realize that taxes/fess are going up.

Posted by another resident
on May 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I am hopeful it will pass. There is a clear need for this money (see most recent posts on how the deficit went from $9.7 mil to $18.7 mil) AS WELL AS the cuts that the No on G people are talking about. I think reasonable people can see that.

With the exception of 10 or so people in the community, everyone against it has remained anonymous. Meanwhile, the pro G people are posting their names in the newspaper openly - 3 pages of names. I think that makes a difference in gaining credibility with voters who are on the fence. Just my opinion.

Posted by Another parent
on May 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Thank you Another resident for saying AS WELL AS the cuts that the No on G people are talking about. Cutting those extras are something necessary in this economy no matter what we think about the parcel tax. The economy is bad and is not going to get better soon.
It was pretty clear early on that anyone who spoke out against the parcel tax was going to be labeled as teacher haters.
Look at the topics that have been posted in the last day. One calls the No on People grouches, another says they are uneducated, jealous and bitter. A couple weeks ago, those opposed to the parcel tax were told they must not be too fond of children.
I can understand why the No on G people stay anonymous.
I looked at the names in the ad and a lot of them are teachers so I do not know if it is fair to say that list lends credibility.

Posted by another resident
on May 28, 2009 at 7:29 am

To be fair and tell the whole story, though, I've seen just as many posts slinging mud at pro-G people. The threads that come to mind off the top of my head are the ones directed at Jerry Shelly and Jennifer Cohn. Also, I've seen teachers and G supporters called greedy, emotional, lemmings, etc.

Just saying that the people on the other side have had reason to remain anonymous as well, but haven't.

Posted by Another parent
on May 28, 2009 at 8:00 am

Another resident,
You are right. There has been mud slinging on both sides and it does no good.
There are people who post information and that has been helpful for people like me who are trying to make a decision on this Measure.

Posted by no more teacher raises
on May 28, 2009 at 9:08 am

Of course there has been mud slinging, on both sides, that is the process in an open and free election. Not that it is good, but better than some alternatives.
My opinion is that it will fail for many reasons, almost all of which have to do with the arrogance of the PUSD and the teachers union that will not take meaningful cuts in pay and benefits. That is what is required in this economy yet they hold their step and column and their colas as sacred cows. Nearly everyone in Pleasanton has either been laid off, lost benefits or taken a pay cut. For the PUSD and the teachers to refuse to "share the sacrifice" (remember that old mantra they had?) it clearly puts them in a bad light. This economic distaster was created by over-spending, not under-funding. I review my assets consantly and only spend what I have. Not what I think I will be getting or what I think that I deserve, but what I already have. To quote another poster, Casey and his employees spent like lottery winners.
This ballot fight has, unfortunately, caused anger to surface toward teachers and other supporters. A ballot to raises taxes to pay for additional raises for the police or firefighters would do no less to those people. It is the nature of the beast when one group tries to take from another to pay for their own benefit. Had the PUSD or the teachers union been willing to take cuts -- without holding us hostage to the passage of the measure -- I, for one, would have voted yes. They did not and all in my household voted no.
No more teacher raises, NO ON G

Posted by Test
a resident of another community
on May 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm