Science Event at Amador Valley

Original post made by Mom of 2, Walnut Grove Elementary School, on May 27, 2009

I chaperoned a field trip to Amador Valley with my second grader today. I want to share with all of you the astounding things that are happening with our kids in this district. The event was hosted by the chemistry students at Amador. They prepared about 40 science "booths" for the elementary students to visit. You could tell that they put a lot of effort in to preparing the event. I spoke with one of the teachers who helped facilitate the event and she said that the kids have been fund raising since the beginning of the year and that the teachers wrote a couple of grants to raise money for the event. Over 1000 elementary school students interacted with high school students. The high school students took the elementary kids in small groups and helped them for about two hours. It was really like nothing I have ever seen. This is the kind of magic that happens in this district. All the kids were engaged and learning. Think of all the skills the high schoolers acquired by planning the event, raising money and by teaching the little kids. Amazing. I can't say enough.

Posted by Yes on G
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm

My daughter participated on the HS side of this event and it was all she could talk about at dinner. She had so much fun and now thinks she wants to go into education. I am not going to let her read these blogs less she will be influenced by all the negativity.

YES ON G!

Posted by NO ON G
on May 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Yes on G is exactly the kind of parent I would have expected her to be - one that censors her child's reading material so that instead of allowing her child to make up her own mind by reading information on all sides of the issue, Yes on G will tell her daughter what to think.
Again what a role model.

Posted by Yes on G
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

No on G is also a very typical representation. Negative and nasty. My censoring comment was very tongue in cheek, I don't actually censor anything my child reads.

YES ON G!

How about saying something positive for a change no on G?

Posted by To Yes on G
a resident of Canyon Creek
on May 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Thank you for posting. It is nice to hear about what is happening at teh schools.

Posted by NO ON G
on May 27, 2009 at 11:06 pm

@ Yes on G
You said

"I am not going to let her read these blogs less she will be influenced by all the negativity."

There was nothing tongue in cheek about your comment. But if I were you, I would not want my daughter to read the blogs either because then she would see your own posts!

I've made plenty of positive comments including one recently to Sandy who is a Yes on G person who writes thoughtful comments and engages in intelligent discussion.

You continue to be offensive and defensive in your posts, so you should not be surprised when people call you out on your behavior.

Posted by Sue
on May 28, 2009 at 6:58 am

Does every post related to schools have to come around to Measure G?
Mom of 2 was trying to give kudos to an absolutely exciting educational
experience for elementary students. Let's leave Measure G comments
out of this thread

Posted by STOP THE G TALK
on May 28, 2009 at 8:04 pm

CAN WE HAVE ANY DISCUSSIONS WITHOUT G COMING UP. GOOD GRIEF. GREAT JOB TO THE STUDENTS. I WAS A PARENT IN ATTENDANCE, TOO, AND IT WAS A FUN A REWARDING EXPERIENCE FOR ALL

Posted by NEVER TAXES
a resident of another community
on May 28, 2009 at 9:28 pm

MOM SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF HERSELF. PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE NEVER THE ANSWER. TAXES ARE NEVER THE ANSWER. PUBLIC SCHOOL IS LEGALIZED CHILD ABUSE.

NO ON G!

Posted by Jeez!
on May 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Please just allow the students and teacher organizers get a compliment on a job well done without making it political. They deserve the compliment.
I agree the event was great. It was positive all the way around. Both the high school students and elementary students benefited. It is a very powerful experience when older students take on roles as leaders and positive role models for younger students.

Posted by Kathie Welkin
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on May 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I have been hearing nothing else from my 2nd grader than stuff about this event. It's a gem of a time for the kids and they learned so much. Does anyone know what classes and teachers hosted this? I would love to send them a note of appreciation, really good work there.