PUSD Board Meeting 5/26/09 7 pm

Original post made by tax revolt 2, Country Fair, on May 26, 2009

School Board meeting this evening. Agenda and materials located here:
Web Link

Included in the materials is the budget's Third Interim Report that states that the reserve fund will be $68,000 at the end of this year.

The next board meeting is June 2, 2009. Topic is 'Superintendent's Evaluation'.

Is that ironic? Surely whoever picked June 2 as the parcel tax special election date knew this.......

Anyone else having trouble opening PUSD pdf files or only being able to partially view the public documents?

Posted by parent
on May 26, 2009 at 9:59 am

I was not able to open the agenda or packet files - got the message that the files were damaged which is frequently the message I get whenever I try to open PUSD files.

If anyone is able to open the agenda file and copy and paste it onto this blog, that would be appreciated.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 26, 2009 at 10:12 am

I find I often have trouble the first time, because the files are so big that my computer attempts to open them before they are completely downloaded.

When I download again, and wait patiently, then I have no problems.

The files are PDFs, so cut and paste is not something I know how to do.

Posted by parent
on May 26, 2009 at 11:11 am

Thanks Sandy...I'll keep trying!

Posted by ???
on May 26, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Is the public invited to weight in on the superintendent's evaluation? I question the board members' ability to evaluate anything these days...

Posted by Please report back...
on May 26, 2009 at 7:54 pm

tax revolt 2,

If you attend tonight, can you follow up with those of that couldn't? Greatly appreciated!

Posted by Jennifer
a resident of Walnut Hills
on May 26, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I watched it on TV and thought it was thoroughly depressing. Luz gave all the updated figures based on the May revise (now that all the May initiatives are ruled out) and the district's 9.7 million deficit is now 18.7 million - on top of the $4 million already taken from this year's budget. The financial situation is bleak and it's clear to me that the teachers union AND the community are going to have to give if we want crucial programs to survive this. Even factoring in the one-time monies from Obama, I just don't see how people can continue to argue that this can be solved just with reasonable teacher salary cuts and fat trimming of cell phone bills and travel expenses. We need Measure G, people! It sucks, but it's true.

Posted by John
a resident of Del Prado
on May 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I watched on TV as well and viewed it differently than Jennifer and that they can reduce lots more and the luz is getting 500 a month for a car allowance and that they are hiding things.

Posted by Russell
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 26, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Doesn't look like the site has archives of the videos yet. Does anyone know where to go to download the video of the meeting?

" Please watch for details about upcoming enhancements including archived videos of meetings and availability on other platforms. "

Web Link

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 26, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Was there any discussion about raiding the Adult Ed. budget?

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Russell,

the video archives appear on the "meetings and agendas page" here: Web Link

All the way in the right-hand column. The last one that it up is for April 28.

I was surprised -- there was almost no one in the room when I arrived, around 8. I did see some of the valedictorians and their families along Main Street on my way there, though.

FYI -- they postponed the superintendent's evaluation until June 22. That part of their meeting occurs in closed session, although it is always possible to email board members with your input.

I found the report on the third interim report valuable. Luz Cazares provided a helpful summary about how the state legislature has repeatedly reduced funding to the school districts after the school year began last summer.

Posted by Tony E.
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Tony E. is a registered user.

I just got back. I wasn't expecting what I saw. They're all reeling. This week it came out that apparently California made a 2 billion dollar mistake on our federal stimulus application which will probably result in less stimulus money coming in. And the LAO feels we have a 24 billion dollar problem instead of a 21.3 billion problem. And the Governor is in violation of Prop 58 by trying to borrow 5 billion for budgetary reasons instead of for cash flow reasons. His response is that he'll have to make more cuts. Luz thinks this may translate to an additional 2.2 million reduction for a total of 18.7 million so far for 2008-2010 with more potentially coming. I hope I've captured this accurately. This is all happening so fast now.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 27, 2009 at 5:59 am

I saw you -- I think you left pretty soon after I had arrived.

The state's error on the federal stimulus application is truly shocking.

Posted by The Morning Coffee
on May 27, 2009 at 7:35 am

So a HUGE error was made in an application for federal funding. Do you think any heads will roll? Think again. If this happened in the private sector, you could count on a new face(s) at the unemployment line.

Posted by NO ON G
on May 27, 2009 at 8:07 am

@ The Morning Coffee
Wasn't it a PUSD employee who made the mistake on the Foothill solar panels and the mistake cost the PUSD $100K.
Bet that employee isn't facing the unemployment line.

Posted by The Morning Coffee - still hot and strong!
on May 27, 2009 at 10:16 am

No on G, the public sector certainly works under a different set of rules. But watch out for the public servant who actually looks out for the best interest of the community. Butting heads with special interest groups, especially the various and many unions that represent public servants will find you out on the street with you head in your hands faster than you can blink. This could very well be what happened in the solar case - a protected worker or workers, protected to continue to be incompetent.

Posted by NO ON G
on May 27, 2009 at 10:42 am

@ The Morning Coffee
Well, I guess one of the advantages of being a public sector employee is your job is protected even when you make expensive mistakes. In the private sector, that kind of mistake would have you out on the street immediately.
What about the expensive mistakes teachers make where it's not about money, but our kids' education or self esteem?