Get out and vote June 2nd

Original post made by Peter on May 26, 2009

The "NO" voters need to get out and vote on June 2nd. If the "NO" voters stay home thinking that the vote they would have cast does not matter, then think again. It takes only 67% of the voters who actually vote to pass the tax. This means that if more yes voters vote and the NO vote stays home, then the tax may pass. Do we need more taxes?

Posted by Concerned Parent, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on May 26, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I've got 2 kids in PSD and my wife and I are both voting NO on Measure G. We've seen enough waste, bad teachers and useless overpaid administrators (and this is a "good" school district) to know I don't want to give them any additional money.

Posted by Individual, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on May 26, 2009 at 8:55 pm

THE ONLY VOTE THAT COUNTS IS THE VOTE THAT'S CAST! If you do not want additional taxation or want to send a message to the PUSD and Teacher's Union - you must get out and vote. If the "NO" vote stays home - it's an automatic win for G supporters.

On the other hand if you'd like to support Measure G then get out and vote your support. Either way, the only vote that counts is the one cast. If 67% of the people who go to the polls vote NO....then it's a NO. If 67% of the people who go to the polls cast a YES vote then it's a yes. Either way, remember it's not 67% of the eligible voters in the community.....it's 67% of the votes cast that day.

Posted by Einstein, a resident of Mohr Park
on May 26, 2009 at 9:12 pm

six of a kind from my place already said no on G!!!

Posted by Russell, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 26, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Only two yes votes on G here, so looks like you guys are ahead. ;-)

@Concerned Parent

I haven't seen the bad teachers yet, but probably will eventually. I guess quoting the word "good" means that the schools in Pleasanton aren't really that good. I guess by waste, you're talking about those solar panels, cell phones, and car allowances.

The biggest stretch I've heard so far is that if we don't defeat Measure G, are kids won't learn the important lesson of fiscal discipline. I can't quite see how that works.

In fact so far, I haven't seen anyone provide an explanation as to how defeating Measure G will benefit school children. What was the benefit? (I mean beyond that important lesson of fiscal discipline which they will somehow be denied if Measure G passes).

Posted by Terry, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 26, 2009 at 10:35 pm

"I haven't seen anyone provide an explanation as to how defeating Measure G will benefit school children. What was the benefit? (I mean beyond that important lesson of fiscal discipline which they will somehow be denied if Measure G passes)."

Russell: you want to define the issue as "the children" when the real issue us how the district/state are managing the money that is intended to educate the "children"

California has increased the educational budget for Ca kids by 40% since Arnold took office. Have "the children" benefited 40% more?

Explain to me how giving those who manage the budget more money will "benefit the school children"

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me!

4 Voting NO in this house. Ballots already in the mail!

Posted by Lizzy, a resident of Birdland
on May 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm

5 NO VOTES from this home! We still have 2 kids in the PUSD. The others (over 18) are all NO voters + mom and dad. that makes 5!

Posted by Yes on G, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 27, 2009 at 12:02 am

Measure G is a good tax. It's good for the community and great for the children. 4 Yes votes in this household. Let those haters cast their No votes but the measure shall prevail.

Posted by Grace, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 27, 2009 at 7:43 am

"Let those haters cast their No votes but the measure shall prevail."

To The above post: Because I vote "NO" on G I am a Hater?????????????

Wow! Based on your lack of any kind of reasoning, am I to conclude that you were educated in the PUSD? Or that you have children in the PUSD which means you live in this community that you care so much about?

If so, that's proof there will never be enough money generated from "good taxes" to help you. Hopefully your kids have the influence of some real "adults" that will teach them the basics: "avoid name calling".

And as for this community? Your way of thinking is far more dangerous to this community than the outcome of G.

Four "haters" here voting NO!

Posted by No on G, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 27, 2009 at 12:18 pm

3 "NO" votes from this household of "apparent" haters!

No on G!

Russell,

You have a good attitude! :)

In fact, when this election is over, we "regulars" should meet downtown for coffee to start coming up with ideas (and support local businesses). I think it pretty clear, no matter how the measure turns out, some things need to change. We only really disagree on funding now or funding later.

I would LOVE to finally meet Kathleen, Sandy, Russell, Stacey, NO ON G, Pleasanton Parent, and Concerned Parent. It's time to work together!

Posted by Pleasanton Parent, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 27, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Already sent in my No vote.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 27, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Two Nos and I'm aware of a several others from private conversations. I'm in for the coffee and conversations about next steps.

Posted by Sandy, a resident of Mohr Park
on May 27, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I'm up for coffee, as long as it's decaf.

And after next Tuesday. Because the YES voters will be turning out too.

If G passes, we're still going to need creative ideas, silly ideas, scary ideas, and pragmatic ideas. G makes the hole we're in half as deep, but it's still a hole, and the state keeps making it bigger. Working together would be great.

Posted by NO ON G, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 27, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Hats off to you Sandy...you are a classy lady!
Whether G passes or not, there's still plenty of work to be done, not only on the budget, but putting the community back together.

Posted by Russell, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 27, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I'm up for decaf too. Had to give up the hard stuff a few years back.

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on May 28, 2009 at 11:37 pm

I wasn't invited.. but, if you'll post the time and place, I'll be the old guy at the corner table drinking the double shot expresso and pretending to read a PW.

unclehomerr..

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.