After Measure G Fails

Original post made by Pleasanton Parent, Pleasanton Meadows, on May 23, 2009

Will the PUSD heed the call of the community and cut spending in the areas that it should (i.e. S&C) or will it move forward with irresponsible spending? When the community defeats measure G, will the district understand why and will it react responsibly and appropriately?

Measure G is failing, and rightfully so, I think as a community we need to figure out where to go from here. With measure G funds off the table, how can we begin to influence the PUSD with where we want the state funds used?

Posted by YES ON G
a resident of Foothill High School
on May 23, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Such accurate polling data. Where did you get the idea that Measure G was failing?

Posted by Internal polling data
on May 23, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Yes on G

PUSD has their own internal polling data and if you want to know how badly this Measure is failing, you should call the district office.

From what I understand, it isn't looking good for your side...

There is a reason more educated professionals reside in Pleasanton than the surrounding communities...and we're using our education in deciding on this measure. We won't be so easily swayed by the "it's for the children..." as San Ramon, etc.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 24, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Yes on G - If the results of the state inicatives weren't a sign enough for you, as Internal polling data has suggested, contact the district and ask for yourself. Measure G is failing. The question is what do we do now?

Posted by NO ON G
on May 24, 2009 at 7:26 pm

PP,
Not only does the failure of the state initiatives suggest Measure G will go the same route, the frantic campaigning of the SPS people does as well.
If I weren't already opposed to G, I would be after seeing the ads SPS is running. What a waste of money that they could be giving to the schools. Intelligent voters don't vote based on what other people choose to do - this isn't middle school - they vote based on reading and evaluating all the information.

Posted by John
a resident of Castlewood
on May 24, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Well for one I believe everyone except for teachers including Casey and the district should go to workshare. They work 5 days a week for 4 days pay and on the 5th day they can get unemployment like many of the rest of us. It will reduce their compensation by about 15-18%. Casey himself needs to man up and give back his $400,000 interest free loan and his $1,0000 per month car allowance. The teachers should preserve jobs by agreeing to a 10% pay cut.

Posted by Yes On G
a resident of Foothill High School
on May 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm

You people are making this up. Have you contacted the district office? They're saying there getting very positive community feedback.

Posted by Wondering
on May 24, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Internal Polling Data and Yes On G,
Who have either of you talked with at the District Office?

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 25, 2009 at 8:51 am

John -

Your suggestion is definitely an option. I personally think there is a way to alleviate the budget problems the district is facing without reducing existing compensation in any way. If district employees just froze their S&C increases over the next four years that would free up $15 million. After all its just 0 cents per day.

Posted by John
a resident of Castlewood
on May 25, 2009 at 8:56 am

Pleasanton Parent,

I am trying to think beyond G a little bit because I feel the economic circumstances of the US and California are really going to hit home soon and far beyond where we are at with step and column raises and in order to survive or flourish we need to really reduce fat. Has anyone ever studied ratios of district office employees versus teachers? Or district office salaries versus teachers salaries. I guess where I am going here is that we need to protect our core and our core is not administration but rather our "boots on the ground" or teachers.

Posted by Mom 2
on May 25, 2009 at 9:08 am

To the "No on G" people--
I hope in two to three years time when Pleasanton's performance sinks, we have lost some of our best and brightest young teachers, we can no longer recruit teachers from other districts as we have in the past, parents with young children move to towns which appear to support their schools (Livermore, Danville, San Ramon, and Dublin), and many of our award winning programs are dismantled, you will still be so happy that you worked tirelessly to create anger, mistrust, and even hate towards school employees. The endless attacks on the salary schedule are getting to the point of being ridiculous. Any teacher in the state of California knows there will not be COLAs for a long time. Many of you bring up San Ramon, Livermore, and Dublin, yet none of those communities have asked their teachers to take a pay cut of 10%. Fremont is considering 2-3% because their contract includes a no lay off clause.

Personally, I have never had an issue to how a person votes because that is the beauty democracy in which we are blessed to live, but all the meanest speaks volumes to some of your characters. Just vote, stick to the facts, and stop all the attacks. If you are so envious of teachers' incomes, try the job for a week, and report back to the PW how your week went and whether you would still define the position as easy and not worth a livable income.

Posted by Wondering
on May 25, 2009 at 10:11 am

Mom of 2
I didn't realize that an average salary of $81K is not a liveable income. There are plenty of people in Pleasanton who live on a lot less.
I would not want to see teachers' salaries frozen unless there was no other choice. I agree with the No on G posters who have said PUSD should go through the budget and cut everything not directly related to education first. I think PUSD management should offer to take a pay cut with no strings attached before expecting teachers or other employees to take cuts or lose jobs.

You must not be reading posts by Yes on G who has referred to those opposed to G as grouches and idiots, and if you check other blog topics, those opposed to G have been called morons, not fond of kids, hateful, anti-education and many more things that could be characterized as mean.

I agree that this kind of behavior is wrong no matter which side is doing it. But I think you should be fair and acknowledge that much of the behavior is coming from the pro-G people.

Posted by John
a resident of Castlewood
on May 25, 2009 at 11:00 am

Mom2,

I am a no on G person but have not attacked teachers but am only pointing out the economic realities of where we are and the silliness of giving teachers raises at a time when many of us are out of work and I know of very few people who have not been impacted and are getting raises. I on the other hand believe that teachers should be paid for performance like the rest of us and not guaranteed anything because they have a union.

Additionally, it seems to me that you are the one using terms like anger, mean streaks, character, envy etc.

I will wait for my apology.

Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 25, 2009 at 11:44 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Mom 2

"I hope in two to three years time when Pleasanton's performance sinks, we have lost some of our best and brightest young teachers, we can no longer recruit teachers from other districts as we have in the past, parents with young children move to towns which appear to support their schools (Livermore, Danville, San Ramon, and Dublin), and many of our award winning programs are dismantled, you will still be so happy that you worked tirelessly to create anger, mistrust, and even hate towards school employees. The endless attacks on the salary schedule are getting to the point of being ridiculous. ..... yet none of those communities have asked their teachers to take a pay cut of 10%. "

The greatest support the community can offer its schools is reinforcing the importance of a solid education in our children at home. Instilling respect for teachers in our children and not taking a "not my child" approach to discipline issues in the classroom. Nothing fosters learning more than parental support, no amount of money can ever replace that. Pleasanton schools are excellent because they have a combination of excellent teachers and education focused families.

I find it funny you are pointing the finger at those of us in opposition to G as those being the ones to force the "best and brightest young teachers" out of our schools. The irony is, it is those that are most opposed to freezing S&C increases that are in favor of letting the "best and brightest young teachers" go instead of freezing their raises. Whose best interests are really being addressed with measure G?

I have never asked for a paycut for our teachers. I have only asked that so long as the district is coming to the community and stating that there is no money for our children, and asking us for additional tax dollars that they should freeze any and all salary increases. Why do you feel this is an unreasonable request?

" Just vote, stick to the facts, and stop all the attacks. "

I did vote and I did vote based on the facts - I am willing to support our schools, but not via a biased ballot measure that has zero guarantees for any of the programs it claims to protect.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 25, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Sandy is a registered user.

I'd like to know the answer to this question too --

Internal Polling Data
Who have you talked with at the District Office?

I want to call them Tuesday morning. Can you give me the phone number of the person who told you the district is conducting polling?

Posted by Wondering
on May 25, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Both Yes on G and Internal Polling Data have suggested that they have spoken with someone at the District Office. So if either one will provide contact information, that would be good.

Posted by Sandy
a resident of Mohr Park
on May 25, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Sandy is a registered user.

John wrote "we need to protect our core and our core is not administration but rather our "boots on the ground" or teachers."

I agree. I think the layoffs of 17 management staff are a beginning, but I'm sure as we look harder we will find more ways to focus on the core.

Posted by No on G
on May 25, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I was interested in that info also...IPD posted on the 23rd...Yes on G yesterday. Perhaps we just need to call the DO and ask...

I remember a post that quoted an article (but months ago) that PUSD hired a consulting firm (Maybe Ann Martin posted this to help locate it??) to do polling for the district. The info was used "internally", and the article at the time discussed the district's interest in how the community would feel about a parcel tax. It explained it didn't go over well. This is pulic info since we fund it (btw, nice use of our budget, wonder how many teachers that money could've kept??).

I wonder if PUSD has maintained this polling? I think a call to the DO would be a good idea.